RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

dark_light 16-02-2008 10:28 PM

The Mother and Daughter Diaries, its about a girl with anorexia and how her and her mother deal with it

Sharloid. 16-02-2008 10:29 PM

I'm currently reading Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.
It's crazy.

lower than myself 16-02-2008 10:56 PM

I was reading 'The crimes of Jack the Ripper' but after two days of not reading it & getting slightly confused I gave up on it. LOL.

& as of tonight, I'm going to start reading Dissolution by C.J Mason

beautiful&dying 20-02-2008 06:01 PM

I'm reading a kiddy book called Varjak Paw, about a cat who does martial arts. It's got some lovely illustrations and I've really enjoyed it so far.
xxxxxxx

ThinkingofRecovery 21-02-2008 01:50 AM

I'm reading Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. Why does life always seem so much more endearing back then?

Shakespeare's Strumpet 21-02-2008 02:34 AM

Candide by Voltaire. <3...I love Voltaire. He was the master of dark humor. And, as far as classic literature goes, Candide is not a hard read...but it also depends on the translation. The language is simplistic but the morals complex. Ultimate read for anyone interested in philosophy, politics, or just intelligence.

monket 21-02-2008 08:03 AM

I'm reading '"Son" A Psychopath and His Victims' by Jack Olsen. It freaks me out because it's a true story about a rapist who lived in the same city I live in, only about 30 years ago. I can just see all the places he describes in my head because I've been to all of them, and AGGHH. It's just weird.

linder surprise 21-02-2008 12:37 PM

i just finished little women (part1) & smashed: growing up a drunk girl this week.
i don't know what i'm going to read next. i might finish northern lights because i read half of it about a month ago.

marilyn2662 21-02-2008 05:14 PM

I've just finished '100 Years Of Medical Murder', and I've just started 'A Memory Of All That' and 'Infamous Murderers'. =]

Persephone Hazard 22-02-2008 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mister linda. (Post 571434)
smashed: growing up a drunk girl

I bought that because I was at Norwich train station and I'd finished my book and I had a four-hour train journey home ahead of me and it was the only thing in Smiths that wasn't the worst kind of chicklit. I thought it was going to irritate me but I seem to recall it was actually surprisingly good. This was summer 2006, mind, so I may be remembering it through rose-tinted glasses!

I finished The Wasp Factory and the Murdoch novel (god, that was depressing) and I'm now reading The Nomad of Time by Michael Moorcock. And I'm still re-reading the Harry Potters, and I still don't know why. I'll probably finish the fourth one tonight.

girluninterrupted 22-02-2008 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terray (Post 28006)
The Things They Carried by Tim something, I'm helpful. :]

O'Brien
He also wrote Going after Cacciato...things they carried is awesome

girluninterrupted 22-02-2008 08:24 PM

I like to read!

I'm reading Mercy by Jodi Picoult (I've already read her books My Sister's Keeper, Vanishing Acts, The Pact, Plain Truth, and The Tenth Circle). I'm also reading Little Women for school (I'm on part 2). I just finished Pretties (the second book in the Uglies trilogy...which actually has 4 books now).

crazykat 23-02-2008 01:03 PM

I have just started reading Sickened by Julie gregory

linder surprise 23-02-2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Persephone Hazard (Post 573047)
I bought that because I was at Norwich train station and I'd finished my book and I had a four-hour train journey home ahead of me and it was the only thing in Smiths that wasn't the worst kind of chicklit. I thought it was going to irritate me but I seem to recall it was actually surprisingly good. This was summer 2006, mind, so I may be remembering it through rose-tinted glasses!

yeah, what happened was that i was in oxfam at work, and it was really dead. so i just picked up the book to read while i was working. i read it for about an hour and i was totally surprised by how good it was. i ended up buying it, obviously.
i guess probably because it's more than just "i got drunk this happened that happened i passed out" which is what i thought it was going to be. the writer addresses some different issues in it aswell.

random.swirls 25-02-2008 01:45 PM

Just about to start Alchymest by Paulo Coelho :)

Ileana 25-02-2008 02:45 PM

"Run with the hunted, a Bukowski reader" which has got a little bit of everything he did.

Steel Magnolia 27-02-2008 07:26 PM

Just finished "The Heroin Diaries" by Nikki Sixx and now Im reading girl, interrupted for like the zillionth time!

StaceyBee 28-02-2008 10:47 PM

I'm reading 'We Need To Talk About Kevin'
It's really hard to get into at the moment but I've been told it gets better

belle_xx 28-02-2008 11:18 PM

dracula, was AMAZING. i want to read atonement next. we need to talk about kevin is like the best book i've ever read
xo

J.K 28-02-2008 11:20 PM

I'm about 3/4 way through A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce, and I'm enjoying it. Though, it's a pretty heavy read at times it's still very good.