RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

Devil Girl 10-01-2010 01:21 AM

Melancholic anicca - I love The Perks of Being a Wallflower must read it again, but didn't enjoy The Catcher in the Rye but it is a lot of people's favourite book so hope you enjoy it!

GlitterTrashDoll 11-01-2010 01:49 AM

Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris.
(The second book in the Trueblood series).

Highly recommed the series!

lozza 12-01-2010 10:28 AM

Mistaken Identity
by the Van Ryn and Cerak family with Mark Tabb

...it is actually based on a true story about how one girl was burried under under the wrong name, and another girl in a coma who is being cared for by the wrong family.

it is quite interesting

Sparky! 12-01-2010 10:29 AM

I'm now reading 'Lucky' - Alice Sebold. It's quite good.

lozza 12-01-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by void. (Post 2087204)
I'm now reading 'Lucky' - Alice Sebold. It's quite good.

ooooh I havnt read that yet although I do have it... you will have to let me know what its like:)

Devil Girl 12-01-2010 08:33 PM

Lozza that book sounds really interesting! May look it up - though I have far too many books to read just now!

I might read Lucky depending how I get on with The Lovely Bones after my Gran has finished with it.

I really want to go and buy lots of books - also saw some for £1 that I would like in Asda but I have about 30 books to read so trying to get through them first - but so many books sound good!!

Sparky! 12-01-2010 09:40 PM

You can never have too many books!

Also - just to say, don't decide whether or not to read 'Lucky' based on what you think of 'The Lovely Bones'. I read 'TLB' and quite liked it, it was alright but fairly average. But I'm really, really enjoying (if that's the right word!) 'Lucky'. They're really quite different.

Amaranth 12-01-2010 10:10 PM

'Metamorphosis' - Franz Kafka. A bit odd but really good so far!
And re-reading Harry Potter no.5 (again!)

Second Chance 13-01-2010 12:31 PM

The Lovely Bones. I'm not sure if I like it though.

bishy barnaby 13-01-2010 12:39 PM

Atm I'm reading 'The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Follow them and people will follow you' by John C. Maxwell.

I have to do a book review on it, its really interesting, better than I thought it would be

Puppet Strings 13-01-2010 03:23 PM

I've got The Book Thief by Markus Zusak on my bedside table to read.
I really want to, but it's narrated by death which puts me off starting it slightly! x

Sparky! 14-01-2010 05:30 AM

I really liked 'Lucky'.

Now reading 'Mad, Bad and Sad: A History of Women and the Mind Doctors from 1800 to the Present' - Lisa Appignanesi.

Snow-In-Wonderland 14-01-2010 06:04 PM

I just finished the 'Wheel of Time' series by Robert Jordan =D I would definitely recommend it!

The War Doctor 15-01-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah1 (Post 2088262)
'Metamorphosis' - Franz Kafka. A bit odd but really good so far!

Kafka is brilliant. A little tough to figure out at times, but brilliant.

Last read: The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer. I can't see myself reading it again. I liked it fine, but there's only so much poetry a man can take.

Currently reading: The Outsider (or The Stranger depending on publisher) by Albert Camus. I've read it before, multiple times, but I love it.

Next: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

linder surprise 15-01-2010 05:35 PM

i think the outsider is much better reading the second time 'round. the first time i read it i found it kindof boring. but for some reason the second time was much more fun.

The One Who 15-01-2010 05:39 PM

I would recommend Camus' Stranger/Outsider too. Quite short, and easy to read.

I'm currently trying to work my way through Foucault books. Academic, but quite easy and interesting. I don't have time to read anything non-academic :(

Wonderful. 16-01-2010 10:00 PM

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (Just read) Loveddd it.

Am currently reading A Certain Age by Rebecca Ray.
But I can't really get into it, so I've put it aside for a while and am reading The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult.

x-dying-inside-x 16-01-2010 10:07 PM

I'm reading Jane Eyre again.

Serenade 16-01-2010 10:27 PM

I'm reading Alice's Adventures In Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carrol and also Under The Dome by Stephen King.

Wakeful Dreamer. 17-01-2010 06:31 AM

I just finished Aimee, by Mary Beth Miller and You Know Where To Find Me, by Rachel Cohn.
I loved one and disliked the other.
Now I'm reading a couple of psychology books.