RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The 'I need a distraction' thread. (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243064)

Cacoethes 21-01-2018 02:23 PM

Toastie HAS to have cheese in it!
Its the law

Im ok.
Need to do assignment :'(

How are you?

Sketchy 21-01-2018 02:25 PM

I hope you get on ok with your assignment.

I’m ok.

Aubergine 21-01-2018 02:26 PM

I like cheese too much.

Admiring the snow sounds nice. It always looks very pretty. :)

I'm OK. Listening to the rain. Might play piano in a bit. :)

Assignment woe, Beckie. :(

Sketchy 21-01-2018 02:28 PM

What kind of music do you like to play?

not_so_insig 21-01-2018 02:31 PM

Afternoon all.

Sketchy 21-01-2018 02:31 PM

Afternoon Dawn. How are you?

Aubergine 21-01-2018 02:33 PM

Oh, I'm pretty terrible at it. I've not long had it. I bought it because I used to play keyboard when I was a bit younger, but haven't even done that in ages. I can play Scarborough Fair by Simon and Garfunkel. I'm trying to learn some Einaudi, because he's my favourite pianist, but I can't read music so it takes a while to pick things up. I usually listen and then fiddle about until I've got it. Person sent me some sheet music and I've got special stickers on the keys, so that helps too. :) I just find it fun and absorbing. :)

not_so_insig 21-01-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sketchy (Post 4152745)
Afternoon Dawn. How are you?

Apart from slight pain with my gum I am ok.

Cacoethes 21-01-2018 02:35 PM

I also really love cheese!
When I was a kid, I'd take bites out of the blocks of cheese in the fridge and blame mice for the teeth marks :p

That sounds cool aubergine!

Sketchy 21-01-2018 02:42 PM

That’s great Aubergine. It must be fun learning new music. I have a ukulele that I can’t play, but I do sometimes strum on it.

That’s a shame Dawn. I hope the pain eases soon.

Haha that’s funny Beckie.

not_so_insig 21-01-2018 02:49 PM

Thanks Lorraine. It's slowly getting better though as each day I am taking less painkillers.

Aubergine 21-01-2018 02:55 PM

Hehe Beckie! That's funny. Did they ever believe you? :P

Ukulele sounds good. Strumming can be fun! I have an acoustic guitar that I cannot play well at all, but I like to fiddle about with that too. :)

Cacoethes 21-01-2018 03:00 PM

Nope they never belived it was mice
Can't imagine why :p

Ukeleles are cool.
At a folk festival one year they had the ukelele orchestra of great britain playing and rhey were awesome!

Sketchy 21-01-2018 03:02 PM

A ukulele orchestra sounds cool.

Right, I’m going to brave the snow again and go to the shop. Then I can go home and chill.

Aubergine 21-01-2018 03:10 PM

I'm not sure why either, Beckie. I'm sure you were very convincing. :P

Ukulele orchestra sounds great!

Shop then chilling sounds good, Lorraine. Hopefully see you soon!

Cacoethes 21-01-2018 03:17 PM

Chilling is good!

Its raining here now.
And i am constantly being distracted from my assignment.
I have the concentration of a goldfish

Aubergine 21-01-2018 03:21 PM

What's your assignment on, Beckie? My first assignment is on infectious disease!

Cacoethes 21-01-2018 03:27 PM

'Mental health difficulties and their effects and theoretical perspectives for understanding mental health difficulties'

I love the subject of infectious diseases!
Always been fascinated by them.
Which is probably a bit weird...

Sketchy 21-01-2018 03:33 PM

I’m back home. That was fast considering I had to walk carefully in the snow.

Home now and on my rocking chair with a diet irn bru.

I hope both your assignments go well.

Aubergine 21-01-2018 03:35 PM

Is that like biopsychosocial model etc and things? I vaguely remember stuff from abnormal psychology at A Level. It's been 11 years since then though, so I expect things have moved on a bit. Oh, I am old. :'( You can do it! When's it due?

I have to do maths in my first TMA. Oh. :(

Aubergine 21-01-2018 03:36 PM

Sounds good, Lorraine!

No, not weird Beckie. I used to want to be a virologist and was obsessed with films about ebola. :P Unless we're both weird?! :/

chinahorse 21-01-2018 03:38 PM

Depends which infectious diseases! Ypu make me miss my degree!

Eek it's much to chilly for cold drinks lorraine. Get a cuppa!

I should either load up my laptop and get job applying etc but I don't know what to write in a cover letter. 'I'm nice, current job is ****, employ me :)' lol
Or I could do the equally unappealing task of digging through the huge bag of ornaments and pictures etc to try and find them homes/work out how many new photos I need to print.

Cacoethes 21-01-2018 03:39 PM

Sounds good Lorraine!

Its kind of like the biopsychosocial model.
There are a few different parts to it.
Im currently working on assessing and evaluating how the medical model, psychological approaches and the recovery perspectives are important to an understanding of mental health.

I think we both may be weird :p

Cover letters are so hard to write Lillie!!

Sketchy 21-01-2018 03:43 PM

Good luck with your letter writing. I hope you find something soon.

Don’t worry, I’ll have a hot drink soon. Just really thirsty for a cold drink.

Aubergine 21-01-2018 03:49 PM

Beckie! Rude. I think we're actually pretty normal - we just have, um, unusual interests?!

Measles, respiratory infections, cholera... Those are the ones that I have to include in the TMA so far. Argh. I think I'm going to do the TMA00 first, as that's what I'm supposed to do. It's just a personal development plan, which is just a form you have to fill out, so I think it'll be OK. It's just "I want to learn ALL of the things because my brain is starting to atrophy." :P

Aubergine 21-01-2018 03:52 PM

https://www.nabru.co.uk/2-seater-sofa

I would like a new sofa, but can't find a whole one to fit in my flat (because the communal door to the building + corridor is ridiculously narrow. I have a sofa in a box at the moment, but it is not comfortable. I'm thinking maybe if I ask for money for my birthday I could get one of these. They are also self-assembly, so will fit through my door, but look far more squishy. :)

Cacoethes 21-01-2018 03:52 PM

I remember that from my time with the OU!
cant remember what I wrote though

Sofa in a box?

Sketchy 21-01-2018 03:54 PM

There are some comfy looking sofas there. I hope you get a good one.

Aubergine 21-01-2018 04:01 PM

It's a self-assembly sofa that comes in two boxes that'll fit through any door. The arms were zipped inside the seats! It's well made and sturdy (because my Dad put it together haha), but it's not squishy enough. I sit in my hammock most of the time, but it's not so easy to sit in there and work on the laptop, though I sometimes do it if I put my feet up on the sofa (that I can reach from the hammock) and put the laptop on my legs. Not really conducive to study though, even if it is comfy for RYLing. :P

Sketchy 21-01-2018 04:20 PM

Your hammock sounds amazing! I love my rocking chair. So comfy and it’s cushioned. I’m going to buy a foot stool that matches it.

Cacoethes 21-01-2018 04:23 PM

Ah I see!
In my area, theres a charity place that gives out free furniture for people who've been referred to them.
I got my sofa free through them and its all really good quality stuff.
Maybe its worth seeing if theres something like that about? Its very handy!
Hammock does sound amazing though!

Sketchy 21-01-2018 04:32 PM

It’s cold. I’ve just put my fire on. Hope everyone is keeping warm.

Cacoethes 21-01-2018 04:57 PM

I am warmish!
Just made a coffee

Aubergine 21-01-2018 05:00 PM

There are a couple of charity places that sell furniture around here. I actually bought a sofa from one, thought I'd measured it properly, then it wouldn't fit through the door! Thankfully my Dad gave me the extra money to buy a sofa in a box! It was a really cheap one, cheaper than the ones on that website, but it's done me well for 18 months. :)

It is cold. I have the heating on full! I am not looking at my display thing that adds up the energy I use and tells me how much my meter is going down by. :P

Cacoethes 21-01-2018 05:02 PM

Ah what a pain!
Very strange that they didn't build a big enough door.
Like, did they not think that people might want to get furniture in?

not_so_insig 21-01-2018 05:09 PM

I had to pay someone to take my winDow out to get my sofa in. I have had a new door since which I can't take off the hinges so I am dreading having a new sofa!

chinahorse 21-01-2018 05:11 PM

Thats a point beckie! It's not like people can go without a sofa for long!

It's too cold. :( And it's considerably warmer here than where any of you are!

I turned my rickety laptop on to do some job stuff but forgot tk plug it in so it died. And now I have to wait the 8 years it takes to start up again.

Aubergine 21-01-2018 05:11 PM

Oh I know. I had to get rid of a chair that was in my old flat because it wouldn't fit through the door! I think it was a bit of a bodge job as I live in what used to be a big hardware store, but is now converted into six flats (3 first floor and 3 ground floor.) You know what property developers can be like!

Aubergine 21-01-2018 05:13 PM

Oh no, Lillie!

I am still doing my personal development plan for OU. It show I have the best of intentions. Not sure I'll be able to carry them through though!

one_step_closer 21-01-2018 05:14 PM

I was surprised when I moved house and they got my non-flat packed wardrobes up the stairs. Now only have one wardrobe that me and my brother built and it's so unsteady so I'm never moving again!

You could get a huge bean bag Aubergine.

Sketchy 21-01-2018 05:14 PM

That must be annoying Lillie.

Glad everyone is keeping warm.

There’s nothing on tv. Think I’ll have to watch a dvd.

chinahorse 21-01-2018 05:18 PM

Oh I see aubergine, annoying though.

I agree lorraine. I'm watching bond vet which I've seen before. I haven't got a dvd player yet and my laptop has decided to do some sort of scan unprompted which is taking forever.

one_step_closer 21-01-2018 05:18 PM

Oh no Lillie, so frustrating. I was so glad when I got a new laptop and it doesn't go through so much setting up before it turns on. The nurses at my local hospital always complain that it takes a while for things to save on their computer when they are writing notes and thinking about how much time they have wasted over the years.

one_step_closer 21-01-2018 05:20 PM

Was just quickly popping in here, now I need to get motivated to clear out my kitchen and then make some chicken casserole.

not_so_insig 21-01-2018 05:21 PM

I am at my parents where they get sky and have most channels. Plus iplayer etc. So I am not bored.

Cacoethes 21-01-2018 05:22 PM

I dont have a wardrobe or drawers.
So my clothes have been in piles on the floor for 3 years :p

one_step_closer 21-01-2018 05:26 PM

Dawn, doesn't that give you so much choice that it's hard to make a decision about what to watch?!

Haha, Beckie! I hope they are at least organised and kind of folded piles! You could get storage boxes maybe? I have a rail thingy and drawers.

Cacoethes 21-01-2018 05:30 PM

They always start off in neat piles but after a few days, its basically just a mountain of clothes!
A rail thing and storage boxes is a good idea!

not_so_insig 21-01-2018 05:33 PM

No I am watching a recording of a programme that I have recorded at home. Saves me watching it tomorrow

chinahorse 21-01-2018 05:34 PM

Have you checked out the marketplace on fb beckie? You can pick things up so cheap, thats were a lot of my stuff has come from. And you can get fabric wardrobe things that are really sturdy.