RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

nowhereman 29-10-2012 03:14 AM

Alex, the Life of a Child.

melissafaith 30-10-2012 03:36 AM

The Fifty Year Sword by Mark Z Daneielewski - Just started it, but I'm really enjoying it. I love House of Leaves, so I'm fairly confident that I will love this one as well.

Buttons. 30-10-2012 06:48 PM

Just read 100 names by Cecilia Ahern, was really good, funny and heart warming although a little predictable.

charcoal feathers 30-10-2012 09:14 PM

The Girl You Left Behind - JoJo Moyes

nowhereman 30-10-2012 11:07 PM

About to start Beautiful Redemption the 4th and final book from the Beautiful Creatures series.

Geisterfahrer 31-10-2012 01:01 AM

Just started with Stephen King's The girl who loved Tom Gordon.

So far so good. Never read anything his before. :-)

MrsNutkin 01-11-2012 11:19 AM

Flourishing by Maureen Gaffney - it's non fiction

rubik's cube 01-11-2012 10:32 PM

just finished reading january first.

now. i don't understand why, but if it wasn't for sleep, i'd have probably finished this in one session. this may not seem major, but i can't remember the last time i finished (or even almost finished) a book in one session.

it's not that i particularly enjoyed it. or maybe it's just been so long since i actually enjoyed a book i don't recognize it. it didn't put a smile on my face, anyway, but i don't think it's the type of book you should be smiling about.

one thing that bugged me was the fact the author's son could someday read this, and the author makes it pretty clear, imo, that he favors his daughter over his son. he basically says that because he can't find someone on his daughter's level, he'd create someone on her level - and there you have the reason behind the son. and it just disturbed me.

don't get me wrong. i have so much respect for this family, in the same way i have a stubborn sort of respect for my family for dealing with me. and i understood he loved his daughter, but his son's life was at risk. i think that's the time you need to sit back and think, "right. something needs to be done."

idk. it's not my position to judge.

but i would really like to read another book like it, if anyone has any suggestions. it was really interesting to read from the parent's pov.

and i'm now reading get me out of here. i'm too early on to give an opinion on it, but her husband's a sweetheart. and i get a weird vibe from dr padgett.

okay. i'll finish rambling now. xD

EndOfDaze 03-11-2012 07:47 PM

Currently reading "Crying in the dark" by Shane Dunphy :)

one_step_closer 03-11-2012 08:22 PM

Crying for Help - Casey Watson.

When I was in hospital I read:

Ultraviolet - R. J. Anderson
Ghost Boy - Martin Pistorius
Another Forgotten Child - Cathy Glass
Second Hand Heart - Catherine Ryan Hyde
Still Alice - Lisa Genova
First Person Plural - Cameron West
One Breath Away - Heather Gudenkauf
Tales From the GP's Surgery - Rosemary Leonard
Confessions of a Male Nurse - Michael Alexander
Little Prisoners - Casey Watson.

one_step_closer 03-11-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EndOfDaze (Post 3407913)
Currently reading "Crying in the dark" by Shane Dunphy :)

I can't remember what that book was about but I really like Shane Dunphy's books.

EndOfDaze 03-11-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_step_closer (Post 3407945)
I can't remember what that book was about but I really like Shane Dunphy's books.

This one is where we first learn about Larry and Francey, and Mina :). This is only the second book of his that I've read (well, I'm reading this one now!), so I'm trying to get his others!

nowhereman 04-11-2012 02:26 AM

About to start Nevermore, from the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson.

ontheverge 05-11-2012 01:32 AM

Like Water For Chocolate....so far so good :) Going to watch the movie when I'm finished!

sophrose89 05-11-2012 06:46 PM

Extra confessions of a working girl by Miss S.
Also part way through The queen's confidant by Karen harper, but needed something lighter whilst i'm studying!

Petrichor 05-11-2012 07:06 PM

Still on Goddess of Spring. I've gotten so slow with my reading! XD

mojo 07-11-2012 05:05 PM

my booky wook by Russell Brand

pingu 08-11-2012 12:21 AM

The Twelve By Justin Cronin : D

Tig 08-11-2012 05:15 AM

I'm reading 'A Fly On The Ward' by Michael K Chapman which is a pretty funny book and gives me a laugh reminding myself of funny times in hospitals!

I'm also reading my friends book which is available on kindle only called Runaway With Me by Kayleigh Patchett.

OhMyGundam 08-11-2012 08:35 PM

I'm reading Collide by J.R.Lenk. I've been wanting to read the book for ages and now I'm reading it I can't put it down <3