RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

Devil Girl 26-06-2010 09:12 AM

Yesterday I finished Overheard in a Dream By Torey Hayden. It was okay but not as good as her books based on children she has worked with. It did have many layers but it just didn't hit me and I know I won't remember it as much as One Child, and Just Another Kid

I am now about a third of the way through Look Back in Hunger By Joe Brand. It is okay, and I can hear her saying the words to me as I read it. You can tell it is her writing but it hasn't done anything for me just yet. I don't normally read autobiography's of famous people, it is normal memoirs about mental health or abuse etc, so it is a different type of book for me!

Devil Girl 27-06-2010 07:46 AM

Finished Joe Brands autobiography Look Back in Hunger - it was okay....

Now starting Electroboy By Andy Behrman

Stellata 27-06-2010 11:07 AM

"The Children's Book" by AS Byatt.

It reminds me so much of a lot of things I read for my [English] degree, and gives me a whole new perspective on that era. [Leading into the 20th Century] There's stuff about love, art, politics, mental illness. It's a long book - 600 pages - but well worth the read if you like something a bit different and more intense.

Fry 27-06-2010 12:21 PM

I'm still waiting for Lord of the Flies to be delivered.
I miss reading :(

Stellata 27-06-2010 02:35 PM

Go to the library. :)

Fry 27-06-2010 02:40 PM

Then I'll be part way through a book when it arrives.

Stellata 27-06-2010 03:32 PM

When's it due to arrive? [You should see my pile of books to read! Ha!]

Fry 27-06-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellata (Post 2373749)
When's it due to arrive? [You should see my pile of books to read! Ha!]

By July the 11th. I ordered it second hand from Amazon and only just realised it's coming from Luxembourg, lol. So much for ordering online because it's so convenient! I'm aiming to read all the 'must read' classics.

What's in your pile? Heh.

shadow-light 27-06-2010 03:46 PM

I just started "A fractured mind" by Robert Oxnam. Read it before but re-reading it as don't think my brain took it in the first time lol

makedamnsure 27-06-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

The Children's Book" by AS Byatt.

It reminds me so much of a lot of things I read for my [English] degree, and gives me a whole new perspective on that era. [Leading into the 20th Century] There's stuff about love, art, politics, mental illness. It's a long book - 600 pages - but well worth the read if you like something a bit different and more intense.
Sounds interesting. Will give it a look when I get through my pile!!
Just about to start "The Girl at the Lion d'Or" by Sebastian Faulks I've read some of his other books so looking forward to this one.

Devil Girl 27-06-2010 04:48 PM

I have The Children's Book By A.S. Byatt to read also! Hope it is good!

Stellata 27-06-2010 05:34 PM

^ It's very good. Just got just over half way.
It also includes sexual abuse issues and women's quest for freedom. Forgot those in my earlier description!

Catherine, on my pile I have -

Before the Storm by Diana Chamberlain.
Bad, mad and sad by Lisa Appignanesi
Never Tell by Claire Seeber
The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld
The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult
Does stress damage the brain? by someone Bremner

... yeah! Only the Diana Chamberlain and stress ones are library books, so the rest are flexible, to start any time reads!

silverfaerychild 28-06-2010 01:50 AM

crazy heart by Thomas Cobb

Crayon, 28-06-2010 12:32 PM

I'm currently reading some classics. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and if anyone tells me I'm reading this because of twilight I will shoot them >.<
I'm reading Pride & Prejudice next and then Junkie.

Piglet 28-06-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellata (Post 2373919)
The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult

The Tenth Circle is a brilliant book, could be quite triggering in places, but i really enjoyed it. I would recomend any of Jodi's books.

Serenade 28-06-2010 02:53 PM

I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows again and am now a couple chapters in to a re-read of Frankenstein by Mary Shelley :)

Breifly_Tragic </3 28-06-2010 03:09 PM

I've just been to the libabry today to get summit to read even though my pile of unread books is like 40 books :/ I got:

The Shakespeare Secret by J.L.Carrell
&
The Suicude Club by Rhys Thomas

Alsooo Friday Night Lights by H.G.Bissinger got delivered this morning. TBH I should be busy for a whilee.

charlieglasgow 29-06-2010 01:25 PM

I started The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton and after that gets done I'm reading The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood.

silverfaerychild 04-07-2010 04:00 AM

harry potter and the deathly hollows < reading

Green witch < reading

then book 6 of daughters of the moon and then book 7 then Impulse < will be reading soon

just read

Scars by Cheryl Rainfield < triggering for Sexual abuse and self harm , and suicide mention

crazykat 04-07-2010 04:34 AM

Cry Silent Tears-Joe Peters