RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

Stellata 27-02-2011 01:53 PM

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake.

MunchBox 27-02-2011 02:04 PM

Reading Girl, Interrupted again.

lonleyangel 27-02-2011 05:36 PM

between a rock and a hard place (127 hours) because I dont think any film could attempt to cover the emotions aron ralston really went through before he did the 'big thing' at the end. Then probly a richard montanari novel

The One Who 27-02-2011 05:51 PM

I'm currently reading "The Angel's Game" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It's quite similar to "The Shadow of the Wind" with a few of the same characters appearing. Quite an easy read really for the commutes to work.

Hobbes 27-02-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonleyangel (Post 2713772)
between a rock and a hard place (127 hours) because I dont think any film could attempt to cover the emotions aron ralston really went through before he did the 'big thing' at the end.

This, but ive only just started it

14MillionMiles 27-02-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The One Who (Post 2713791)
I'm currently reading "The Angel's Game" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It's quite similar to "The Shadow of the Wind" with a few of the same characters appearing. Quite an easy read really for the commutes to work.


Both excellent books. He's written a "young adults' " book aswell; not sure if I fancy getting into that one.

Currently reading the new Val McDermid as easy reading, then "The Leopard" by Jo Nesbo. Have read everything of his available in translation and gave in and bought the hardback, even though I don't like reading hardbacks (esp in bed). Just finished A Gathering Light by Jennifer Donnelly; not fab, but easy.

The One Who 27-02-2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14MillionMiles (Post 2714007)
Both excellent books. He's written a "young adults' " book aswell; not sure if I fancy getting into that one.

Is that The Prince of Mist or something? Never fancied that for some reason. Although I'm not really a fan of young adults' books in general.

Ardea 27-02-2011 09:57 PM

I just finished reading Matched by Ally Condie. It was actually a really good book - kind of reminded me of The Giver. Going to be one of my favorite YA books I think. :)

Dreaming. 01-03-2011 02:16 AM

Oh oh oh, Carlos etc. etc.? Is it a good book?
I enjoyed Shadow of the Wind, but wasn't expecting to (random pick of le mother's bookshelf). Worth knowing about though.

I'm struggling through Cloud Atlas.I think the problem is that there are six stories written in entirely different genres, so I enjoy a few of the stories enough to keep reading, but I am forcing my way through books five and six (urgh)

one_step_closer 01-03-2011 02:47 PM

The Mummy at the Dining Room Table - Jeffrey Kottler and Jon Carlson.

The One Who 01-03-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreaming. (Post 2715667)
Oh oh oh, Carlos etc. etc.? Is it a good book?
I enjoyed Shadow of the Wind, but wasn't expecting to (random pick of le mother's bookshelf). Worth knowing about though.

If you enjoys SotW then you are very likely to enjoy The Angel's Game. It's sort of similar, in a way.

Ileana 02-03-2011 03:24 AM

I just read El Maestro de Esgrima by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (of Club Dumas fame) and just started Kafka On The Shore by Haruki Murakami. :D

Spoons 02-03-2011 10:29 PM

Girlfriend in a coma- Douglas Coupland

TinkerDebs 07-03-2011 08:01 PM

now reading: Private - the worlds most exlusive detective agency by James Patterson - i started reading last night and have almost finish - it captured me straigght away
i love james pattersons books sooo much

Stellata 07-03-2011 08:06 PM

The Weight of Silence.

Serenade 08-03-2011 01:04 PM

Different Seasons - Stephen King
Ice Station - Matthew Reilly
American Gods - Neil Gaiman

Dreaming. 09-03-2011 11:31 AM

Finished Cloud Atlas. Missed out a couple of chapters, but really enjoyed the rest of the book.

Now reading Norwegian Wood by Murakami; annoyingly, it's now coming out in film format, which now means that everybody is going to be reading it :( But I'm loving it, so that's good.

The War Doctor 10-03-2011 05:53 AM

Just finished Straight Silver by Dan Abnett. It recovered nicely from a shaky (by which I mean downright lousy) opening, and sets up the next book nicely.

Now I'm debating whether to read Sabbat Martyr by Dan Abnett or re-read Junky by William S. Burroughs.

Mademoiselle Lola. 10-03-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifteen Dollar Eagle (Post 2725000)

Now I'm debating whether to read Sabbat Martyr by Dan Abnett or re-read Junky by William S. Burroughs.

I liked Junky.But I would have liked it more if the narattor concentrated more on his emotions,rather than just listing the drugs he's done or the **** he's gone throgh.Still,it's a good reading.

I'm reading atm a book about eating disorders,I find it very informative and it has stories about people whith ED,so that's a big plus.

http://www.amazon.com/Eating-Disorde.../dp/0198509375
this is the book.

one_step_closer 13-03-2011 12:40 PM

False Memory - Dean Koontz.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.