RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

EndOfDaze 16-04-2011 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goopus (Post 2771799)
Currently switching back and forth between two Stephen King books: Insomnia and The Shining. I received them for my birthday.

I stopped halfway through The Shining, will probably go back to it soon!
I'm currently reading "A Nurse in time; My life as a trainee Nurse in the 1930s" by Evelyn Prentis.

Ileana 17-04-2011 01:38 AM

I just read Russell Brand's My Booky Wook and Booky Wook 2. Amazing! At least for me.

BeyondBreathless 17-04-2011 02:39 AM

I just finished reading 'Thirteen Reasons Why' By Jay Asher.

Mademoiselle Lola. 17-04-2011 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanniie (Post 2768650)
OOOHHH MYYY GOOOODDDD YOU'VE READ THIS TOOOOO!!!! No one else has ever read this! ITS AMAZING :D x x x

I (secretly) love you haha.
The way he analyzes himself in such simple,but powerful words is so admirable.And his story is heart breaking.

The War Doctor 18-04-2011 01:18 AM

I'm STILL reading The Castle by Franz Kafka. I've read longer books than this in one sitting for god's sake... I blame my best friend. I went to stay with him for a few days and he loaned me half my body weight in games and DVDs. I have no reading time.

Ileana 18-04-2011 01:34 AM

Back to Manufacturing Consent.

Shannon =) 18-04-2011 12:09 PM

The house of night series by pc and kristen cast. Amazing!!

BridgesAndBalloons 18-04-2011 02:38 PM

I loved the Shining, although the film was good I prefer the book :-)

I'm reading Dante's Divine Comedy

EvilAngel 18-04-2011 04:05 PM

Currently reading Covenant in blood, book II of Ariel Tachna's Partnership in blood series.

Fantastic read, gay loves, vampires and magic, what more could a guy ask for.

The One Who 18-04-2011 09:14 PM

No Mean City by McArthur and Long. Has any non-Scot (or even non-west coast Scot) read this? I've read it loads of times before but as I was reading I was wondering if any non-Scots read it and if they struggled with the language?

Kiss Me Furfrog 18-04-2011 10:43 PM

I've just finished reading Fire (Seven Kingdoms book 2) By Kristin Cashore, which I loved.
I'm now starting Gale Force (Weather Warden book 7) by Rachel Caine.

Zanniie 19-04-2011 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mademoiselle Lola. (Post 2772857)
I (secretly) love you haha.
The way he analyzes himself in such simple,but powerful words is so admirable.And his story is heart breaking.

I (openly) love you ;), I know, his style is simply gorgeous and the way in which he brings it to life is brilliant so emotive, one of the best autobiographies! So sad, I adored Leonard!

Gone. 19-04-2011 01:17 AM

Just read 'Damaged' and 'I Miss Mummy' by Cathy Glass and am now moving onto 'The Girl in the Mirror' by the same author.

Dreaming. 19-04-2011 08:16 AM

Almost finished I Was Bono's Doppleganger, also half-way through a bumper book - Artist in a Floating World (finished) and Remains of the Day, by Ishiguro.

The War Doctor 19-04-2011 07:59 PM

I finally finished The Castle. For such a short book, it was pretty heavy reading, though it was worth it in the end (despite not being finished).

Now to read Minority Report (plus about 12 other short stories) by Philip K. Dick.

Intaytia 19-04-2011 08:02 PM

I'm inbetween a few at the minute:

Carol McGiffin's autobiography.
Jodi Picoult - Picture perfect
Simone De Beauvoir - Le Deuxieme Sexe (been reading this for ages, taking me so long)
Peter Rickard - A history of the French Language.
Racine's Phèdre.

Okay, so the last two are for uni, but...

I've just read Melissa C. Water's memoirs about her time in a psychiatric hospital, was really good.

The War Doctor 20-04-2011 07:12 AM

Finished Minority Report. On to The Imposter (not a typo, Philip K. Dick spelled it with an "e" for some reason).

They're only short stories, but it's nice to at least feel like I'm reading at a decent rate again.

riotgrrrlcori 21-04-2011 03:26 AM

I finished The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss recently. His Kingkiller Chronicles really are some of the best high fantasy I've read in a long time. I've also been making my way through the Nightside Series by Simon R. Green, which are candy in novel form if you enjoy supernatural/detective novels.

Carousel 21-04-2011 10:06 AM

Just finished reading 'The Saddest Girl In The World' by Cathy Glass. It was excellent, I'd definitely recommend it :)

Am now reading 'I Miss Mummy' by Cathy Glass. On the fourth chapter and already gripped!

Dreaming. 22-04-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifteen Dollar Eagle (Post 2776484)
On to The Imposter (not a typo, Philip K. Dick spelled it with an "e" for some reason).

Is that incorrect, then? I've seen it written like that too, didn't realise there was anything wrong, haha!

I've finished I Was Bono's Doppleganger, still reading The Remains of the Day, and also started The Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth.