RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

katie2601 21-10-2008 10:09 PM

I'm reading The California Club by Belinda Jones. Amazing so far.

Stellata 22-10-2008 08:41 AM

Zed, no, not yet, but I plan to - her latest, "Thanks for the memories" looks really good.

Zedebee 22-10-2008 11:16 AM

Yeah it really is. I love her style of writing... She's actually just released a new book for Christmas called 'The Gift'. I'm reading it at the moment and might review it at some point.

HopeRises 22-10-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsch (Post 1164654)
I just last night finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, by Ken Kesey. It's my new favourite book! Strangely enough, all of the books I've read lately have become my new favourite book, but this was particularly amazing. I've also recently finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky, and Girl, Interrupted, by Susanna Kaysen. I recommend them all to anybody interested in the line between sane and insane, and finding an identity in the case of Perks.

A friend lent me The Interpretation of Murder, by Jed Rubenfeld, today. I love books based on psychology.

I've read one flew over the cuckoo's nest and girl,interrupted. If your into those kinda books you should def read Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.
It's kinda hard like you gotta get your head around it but it's pretty ace. I'm still reading it and I'm loving it.

Dissident 23-10-2008 12:20 AM

I agree that Catch 22 is rather awesome. At the moment I'm reading 'Jaaka Ruus' by Terry Brooks, some poetry by Byron and TS Eliot and 'Dubliners' by James Joyce. :)

Spoons 23-10-2008 12:22 AM

^^^ ive always been meaning to read some James Joyce, let me know what you think of it!!!

one_step_closer 23-10-2008 01:02 PM

Compulsion - Hilary Norman

one_step_closer 24-10-2008 04:36 PM

I gave up on that, it was dull. I'm now reading Lord of the Flies.

Devil Girl 24-10-2008 10:15 PM

Oh Lord of the Flies is good...read it in 3rd year at school...well someone read it too us!

PixieHope. 24-10-2008 10:28 PM

I'm still reading Atonement! Stupid uni getting in my way of reading!
Buuuuuuuut I'm near the end :)
I love it, it's so good.

All the books people read seem really fascinating.

Pretty Kill 25-10-2008 02:33 AM

I've just finished reading "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" by Steig Larsson. It took so long to get into it, the first 1/3 of the book was just technicalities and statistics and the like, but then the last 2/3 were AMAZING! Just BOOM! Mindblowing! Utter mindgasm, I swear to God. (I think I should say, though, in case anybody takes this reccommendation on board, the book includes sexual abuse).

Today I started "Memoirs Of A Geisha" by Arthur Golden, which I've heard nothing but good things about. I can't wait to really get stuck into it!

Dissident 25-10-2008 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoons (Post 1170040)
^^^ ive always been meaning to read some James Joyce, let me know what you think of it!!!

Ah mate, I adore Joyce. He's one of my top three writers (and I read a hell of a lot haha!) My personal favourite is 'Portrait of the artist as a young man' but 'Dubliners' seems a lot more accessible as it's basically just a series of vignettes almost..

I've never actually finished Ulysses despite having started it at least 5 times. It's brilliantly written and constructed with many different layers but pretty complex, maybe 6th time will be a charm :D

ihatethereforeiam 25-10-2008 06:40 PM

I'm reading 'Memoirs of a Geisha' by Arthur Golden at the moment, I have less than a hundred pages left and I don't want it to end. Gutting.

PixieHope. 25-10-2008 09:01 PM

Memoirs of a Geisha is such a good book!

Tig 25-10-2008 10:42 PM

I'm currently (slowly) reading 'A Paramedics Diary: Life and Death On The Streets' by Stuart Gray.

Useless Information 101 26-10-2008 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sadako (Post 1173299)
I'm still reading Atonement! Stupid uni getting in my way of reading!
Buuuuuuuut I'm near the end :)
I love it, it's so good.

All the books people read seem really fascinating.

Oh I love that book, it killed me. I cried through the last like ten pages haha. Have you seen the movie?

And ugh, I havent been reading much lately :/. When I finish the two books Im in the middle of now, I want to start the "Chrestomanci" series by Diana Wynne Jones.

PixieHope. 26-10-2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useless Information 101 (Post 1175356)
Oh I love that book, it killed me. I cried through the last like ten pages haha. Have you seen the movie?

And ugh, I havent been reading much lately :/. When I finish the two books Im in the middle of now, I want to start the "Chrestomanci" series by Diana Wynne Jones.

Oh nooooo, don't say that. I've just started part three so got like 100 pages to read yet.
I havent seen the film though, didn't want to until I've read the book. Is it any good?

EyelinerAndCappuccino 26-10-2008 11:56 PM

I just finished Twisted by Laurie Hales Anderson, A MAZING book.
ATM i'm working on Twilight by Stephanie Myers.

Feel_Good_inc. 27-10-2008 01:47 PM

Just finished Deception Point by Dan Brown. By far one of his best. but I've always been a fan of science fiction.

I've started reading The Stand by Stephen King. the full, unedited version which is 1421 pages long and three inches thick. I'm only up to chapter 9 so far but it's excellent.

mesmerized. 27-10-2008 08:48 PM

Just finished 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles', Thomas Hardy. I've started reading it a couple of times before but I finally got around to finishing it. :)
(The ending is just horrible, though. Really, what's wrong with happy endings?!)