RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Veterans Board (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Virtual Psych ward! (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1312)

wildly insane 22-05-2010 12:30 AM

okay I don't know about chinchillas but I know about genetics and she hasn't got a clue about what she's talking about. Mutations random changes in gene structure - note random - also there is no telling whether the mutations that occur will lead to good changes in gene structure or bad changes. Note we all developed from random mutations that were good changes and thrived. I think what she's talking about is inbreeding so that the colour comes out, this probably means that the velvet gene is recessive, however I have not heard of colour genes ever negatively affecting other genes, it really doesn't make any biological sense, there are gene linkages where if genes are close together on a chromosome they are likely to be transferred with the same gene, however all chinchillas have the same genes just different alleles (I know getting complicated now) but basically whatever the colour of chinchilla the gene linkages would be the same so I would be really surprised if what your colleague said was true. I'd be interested to hear what the chinchilla breeders forum says. The next thing I want to say though is that Houdini is the runt of the litter and in the wild to be honest the runt does not usually survive, however, if he is well looked after and being additionally fed then there is no reason why he should not survive. The only thing to definitely make sure about is that goat's milk has all the nutrients he needs in it and is what chinchilla breeders really do suggest you feed him, if it is then I would really say that he has every chance of surviving.

PoisonedApple 22-05-2010 12:45 AM

dunno why i didn't think of this earlier... my fault i'm not relaying it correctly. here's a quote about it thats prolly more your speed than mine on the genetic mutation mountain bike. ;)

Quote:

A lethal is the result of a defective gene that causes a disturbance in the development of the growing organism that then causes it to die. There are many different kinds of lethals. They occur in any species, even humans (ex. cystic fibrosis). Lethals occur in either a heterozygous (single gene) or homozygous (double gene) state. A heterozygous lethal only requires one copy of the gene to cause a problem and that problem rarely allows the organism to reach sexual maturity, so the gene cannot be passed and dies out in the first generation. It is the homozygous lethal that we have to monitor because these genes can function in a heterozygous or "carrier" state.
but then from what i've been reading since then a majority of the time if the lethal factor is there it results in a miscarriage rather than the kit being born and dying.
*huggles and thanks* Does make me feel better though. :D

wildly insane 22-05-2010 12:49 AM

It's been quiet on here tonight, hope people are okay

*hugs Emma* hope you manage to resist the urges to self destruct

*hugs April* sorry to hear things aren't so good, you aren't a coward and I'm sure jarrod doesn't really think so either

*hugs Kat* that sounds like a wierd feeling but I do kinda get what you're saying, I hope the okay side wins over

*hugs Helen* how are you tonight?

I'm okay, survived my housemate's party, didn't drink too much so although I want to cut I'm still in control and still saying no. They've all gone off into town but I declined, I know that that leaves me on my own, but if I'd have gone out I'd have got tired and felt even more alone and drunk more and therefore become more unstable, so going to try and go to sleep soon, have lots to fit in tomorrow.

wildly insane 22-05-2010 12:55 AM

hey crimson I know what that is going on about, basically with respect to your chinchillas, both of your parents are healthy, i.e. they do not show any signs of the "lethal gene" okay this means it is recessive. The parent chinchillas can only transfer the "lethal gene" if they have one (if they are a carrier they will have one "lethal allele" and one "non lethal" allele counteracting it). Then the kits would have to have both parents transfer the "lethal allele" (if they have one) over to the kit in order for it to have an effect. This is a random occurrence and for both parents to transfer this gene over the probability is not very high and definitely not certain, so please do not worry

Kahlia1981 22-05-2010 12:55 AM

*huggles/waves at everybody then goes to find a quiet corner to disappear into*

wildly insane 22-05-2010 01:05 AM

*huggles Kahlia back* hope you find a nice quiet corner, hope you are okay

I hope everyone is okay, I should go to bed...

MammaMia 22-05-2010 01:07 AM

I'm not okay but hey I'm a broken record lol *curls up and hides*

Scarletdreamer 22-05-2010 01:16 AM

I'm so tired........... just played WoW for about 2 hours straight, but Crimson, I now have a level 8 draenei pally on Runetotem (yep, did the pally route, lol) and a level 6 priest. Pally's name is Xxenasoul (sorry for the cheesiness, Jarrod came up with the name :P) and priest's name is Dionysiasoul. :) I had fun but got anxious so had to stop. Plus the quests are getting tougher - am out of the starting areas (did the draenei one for my pally and then went to the human one and made a priest on my RAF account, lol) - so will have to do those individually instead of dual-boxing, because otherwise my priest might die and I can't rez as a pally until level 10 (or as a priest, for that matter). So yeah. I love RAF though!! (refer-a-friend) Triple XP for the win!! lol... :P

Sorry for the WoW-speak, non-WoW-players........... :o

I think I am coming down with a cold. Icky ugh. And I didn't get any more surveys entered today, will have to make sure to do more tomorrow. Grrrrr. :(

*hides in a hole*

PoisonedApple 22-05-2010 01:18 AM

K Thanks Hannah. *huggles*
Helen, What's up, hun? *cuddles*
*hugs and cuddles and waves to everyone*

SoMuchMore 22-05-2010 01:19 AM

*uses finding powers to find and hug Kahlia*

*cuddles helen* You're not a broken record hun. Its okay to let us know that you aren't alright.

*hugs april, hannah, and crimson*

Crimson - i hope that your baby chinchillas are alright. Sorry i dont have much to add as i dont know much about chinchillas other than my cousins had some at one point... not very useful lol.

EDIT: April - hope youre not getting too sick! i hate being sick

I'm such crap. Sorry everyone.

PoisonedApple 22-05-2010 01:20 AM

That's awesome April. u should mail one of my runetotem toon with the names so i don't forget to add them :)
Hope you're not sick but maybe a short cold is better than allergies?

Laura~Yeah me too. My sister in law said he had time to eat earlier while the other 2 kits slept so Houdini seems to be ok and Hannah translated genetics to English for me (^there) so I'm not as worried anymore.

Scarletdreamer 22-05-2010 01:25 AM

I'll make sure and do that, Crimson. :D Maybe your pally could help us (sorry, I mean me, lol) with some of the quests? I dunno... I can probably get through most of them myself, especially as they give TERRIFIC experience points, 1800+ for the gold dust/candles and Fargodeep mine quests. I love RAF. :P

I'm really tired, my back hurts from sitting here for so long, and I don't feel that great... hopefully won't be sick for long, will have some tea tonight I think. :( Or it might be allergies... but I'm thinking it's a cold. Just a feeling.

I still do think that Jarrod thinks I'm a coward. :-S

*hides again after finding Kahlia and giving her a cuddle, and Hels, Hannah, Laura, and Crimson as well* :)

PoisonedApple 22-05-2010 01:27 AM

*waves* well time to go home and see if the little guy is hungry still (i'd rather feed him till he won't eat anymore -chinchillas won't overeat- to try and beef him up a little than just let him get "enough" at this point) and home school reading then for some WoW time! Glad I made a few days worth of dinners on Wednesday! :)

Oops missed your post April... I certainly could help out on some questing. What time zone are you in? If you're Eastern you're 4 or 5 hr ahead of me so by the time I get to WoW it may be late for you. If it's really late for you by then I'll try again over the weekend. And I'm sure Jarrod doesn't think you're a coward *cuddles*

MammaMia 22-05-2010 01:35 AM

*cuddles everyone*

I feel like a broken record though :(

Scarletdreamer 22-05-2010 02:10 AM

I understand the feeling, Hels. I do too. :( *cuddles*

Yeah, Crimson, I'm Eastern timezone... what timezone is Runetotem in, do you know?

Hell, my back hurts... :'( It's deep in the muscle and I think it's from sitting in desk chairs for so much of my internship days. GRRRR!!! I hate that type of pain.... can stand SI pain but not normal aches and pains. *is moaning* Sorry......

And I just found out that my bestie can't hang out like we planned yesterday... damnit. :( She's my only IRL friend that I have, well, a close one in this timezone anyway, and I wish that we could hang out more. We see each other briefly, for like half an hour, about once a week, and I know that's more than some people have, but still... :(

I'm so effing tired... grrr... :'( But Jarrod's not ready for bed yet and I'm not really sleepy (took a long nap today) so we're not going to bed yet... blah. I'm having some herbal unwind tea - Egyptian chamomile and green apple, with some honey, and it's good - hoping it'll help clear my sinuses some. Sorry if that was WTMI... :-S

Am feeling very fragile tonight. :-/

*hides in her hole again*

Scarletdreamer 22-05-2010 02:20 AM

Hels, I think I just added you to Facebook? lol... :-/

MammaMia 22-05-2010 02:30 AM

Yes you did :P Can I add you on my 'secret' profile too?

I wish I could see my best friend more :( But money, distance etc means we can't :( But yeah, I understand where you're coming from.

Scarletdreamer 22-05-2010 03:08 AM

Sure, you can add me on your "secret profile" ... bwahaha, sounds like something out of a spy film!! lol. :) *cuddles*

Am up really really late, for me... but got my pally to level 10 and my priest to level 9, so am happy. :) Off to Westfall we go come tomorrow (or sometime...).

G'night everyone... and by saying that I hope I'm not jinxing myself to a night of no sleep. Haha. :-X

*cuddles all* ♥

MammaMia 22-05-2010 03:12 AM

I wish I could go to sleep :( It's not long turned 3am here. Funtimes. Sent you a friend request on my 'secret' profile with a little note so you know it's me :) Hope you sleep well.

Going to see my Nan later. Looking forward to it and dreading it same time. She's not very well, got a chest infection. Although my Mum said she was bit better today. Just hated seeing her the way she was last week. Hopefully it won't be as bad. Just dislike seeing her ill, it's just not my Nan. Well it is, but she's a tough woman. Way she's been brought up & everything. But...she's not quite herself when she's seriously ill :( Only just got used to her being back completely after her operation, which took it out of her understandably.

I want my headache & nausea to go away. Not sure if it's going round, as my best friend felt it today, or if it's related to my medication? Oh dear. Just what I need on top of everything else. I'm nearly crying at the moment, over a moth, ha!

xxjuliexx 22-05-2010 06:30 AM

*sits looking around*