RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

beautiful&dying 07-04-2008 01:03 PM

They are indeed, I'm pleasantly surprised by them, although I might be biased as my friend Dave wrote it. I wrote a bit of a rant (post 583) about them but I think you'll enjoy them as they're much like the series so if you like that, it's all done for you. Because you know the characters already half the work of reading them is done for you. Let me know what you think!
xxxxxxx

MrsNutkin 07-04-2008 02:40 PM

I've read tenth circle, one step closer, from what I can remember - I don't remember books I've read very well at all it was an amazing book.

I've just finished 'Perfect Match' by Jodi Picoult and that was good as well. Most of Jodi's books I can't really get into as I am not religious really and they tend to be so.

Spoons 07-04-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beautiful&dying (Post 675274)
They are different stories to the TV series, but using all the characters (Jack, Gwen and the gang) so when you read them you get a sense that they could be an episode, but the stories are all unique and self contained in the one book. As far as I know there are 3 books from series 1 and 3 from series 2, of which Trace Memory (Dave's one I'm reading) is one. I haven't read any others but I'm sure they're all good too. I plan to read more as I'm really finding it an easy read and a page turner, although the concepts involve thought and complex ideas they're good to just relax with!
Hope that answers your questions - I'd certainly recommend this one!
xxxxxxxx

I got one to see what they are like, i got the first one 'another life' i think its called.

Also domicile of madness- ive tried reading the outsider a few years back and i just couldnt get into it, i might try it again.

Spoons 07-04-2008 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beautiful&dying (Post 680100)
I'm still reading that Torchwood book. It's an anagram of Doctor Who, do you know.
xxxxxx

No i didnt know that, how daft am i.

*faerie-dust* 07-04-2008 03:00 PM

I'm re-reading Wicked by Geoffrey MacGuire. I love that book!

linder surprise 08-04-2008 12:28 PM

i finished fear & loathing in las vegas this morning. it was quiteee good. kindof rambley but i'm sure that was the point.

i have to read the outsider for uni this summer so i hope it's good.

Caru y Nos 08-04-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mister linda. (Post 682198)
i have to read the outsider for uni this summer so i hope it's good.

It is, very very good!! And its just brilliant!!! Not very long, short and sweet ;]

irishruggersgirl 08-04-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikaroo (Post 679603)
Procession of the Dead by D.B.Shan, aka Darren Shan.

i just started reading this too, bt im not very far in

have just finish Kill Your Friends by John Niven, its absolutely brillant. it's soo twistedly funny i love it.

Spoons 08-04-2008 07:54 PM

^^^^ I bought kill you friends the other week, but havent gotten round to reading it yet.

I'm still reading autofiction by Hitomi Kanehara which is only just over 200 pages long, its good theres just something missing from it.

i had abit of a book buying frenzy earlier i bought-
The shakespeare secret- J.L Carrell and Girlfriend in a coma- Douglas Coupland. Both from oxfam so well cheap.

I also got in the waterstones special offer
The day of the triffids- John Wyndham
All my friends are superheroes- Andrew Kaufman
The seven days of Peter Crumb- Jonny Glynn

Im not sure what one i will start next....

irishruggersgirl 08-04-2008 08:21 PM

start kill your friends its awesome!

Daydream 08-04-2008 09:19 PM

I'm reading "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Picoult. Its the first one of her books I've read. I bought it on Monday and I saw an advert on the TV for it just after and I was like "I have that!!" XD

random.swirls 10-04-2008 07:15 AM

I read The Forget Me Not Sonata by Santa Motefiore which was good.

Last night I read Marley and Me and it was so funny in places because my dog is exactly the same but so sad to.

CreativeCat 10-04-2008 07:57 AM

Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe

starnight 10-04-2008 11:04 AM

The Trial by Kafka

beautiful&dying 10-04-2008 03:05 PM

^ great book, Kafka rocks!

I'm reading The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold (Lovely bones and Lucky fame) which is great, about a woman who kills her mother, and it goes in extracts of her past giving you clues as to their relationship and why she might have done it. I'm 1/3rd of the way through and am really enjoying it.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ileana 10-04-2008 05:08 PM

His Dark Materials (Golden Compass trilogy) by Phillip Pullman and Possible Side effects by Augusten Burroughs.

AbandonedPixie 10-04-2008 05:30 PM

Sabriel/ Lirael/Abhorsen by Garth Nix

mesmerized. 10-04-2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starnight (Post 686161)
The Trial by Kafka

Kafka <3

I'm reading 'Interior Castle' by St Teresa of Avila. I don't expect anyone else will have read it or will be interested, but it's beautiful.

Spoons 12-04-2008 01:42 AM

The Master and Margarita- Mikhail Bulgakov

Damnation. 12-04-2008 11:58 PM

I'm currently reading 'Jingo', by Terry Pratchett. Love it!