RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

Devil Girl 27-06-2010 04:48 PM

I have The Children's Book By A.S. Byatt to read also! Hope it is good!

Stellata 27-06-2010 05:34 PM

^ It's very good. Just got just over half way.
It also includes sexual abuse issues and women's quest for freedom. Forgot those in my earlier description!

Catherine, on my pile I have -

Before the Storm by Diana Chamberlain.
Bad, mad and sad by Lisa Appignanesi
Never Tell by Claire Seeber
The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld
The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult
Does stress damage the brain? by someone Bremner

... yeah! Only the Diana Chamberlain and stress ones are library books, so the rest are flexible, to start any time reads!

silverfaerychild 28-06-2010 01:50 AM

crazy heart by Thomas Cobb

Crayon, 28-06-2010 12:32 PM

I'm currently reading some classics. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and if anyone tells me I'm reading this because of twilight I will shoot them >.<
I'm reading Pride & Prejudice next and then Junkie.

Piglet 28-06-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellata (Post 2373919)
The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult

The Tenth Circle is a brilliant book, could be quite triggering in places, but i really enjoyed it. I would recomend any of Jodi's books.

Serenade 28-06-2010 02:53 PM

I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows again and am now a couple chapters in to a re-read of Frankenstein by Mary Shelley :)

Breifly_Tragic </3 28-06-2010 03:09 PM

I've just been to the libabry today to get summit to read even though my pile of unread books is like 40 books :/ I got:

The Shakespeare Secret by J.L.Carrell
&
The Suicude Club by Rhys Thomas

Alsooo Friday Night Lights by H.G.Bissinger got delivered this morning. TBH I should be busy for a whilee.

charlieglasgow 29-06-2010 01:25 PM

I started The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton and after that gets done I'm reading The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood.

silverfaerychild 04-07-2010 04:00 AM

harry potter and the deathly hollows < reading

Green witch < reading

then book 6 of daughters of the moon and then book 7 then Impulse < will be reading soon

just read

Scars by Cheryl Rainfield < triggering for Sexual abuse and self harm , and suicide mention

crazykat 04-07-2010 04:34 AM

Cry Silent Tears-Joe Peters

Devil Girl 04-07-2010 09:49 AM

Finished Electroboy By Andy Brehman a few days ago. Need to start The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo By Stieg Larsson (think I will start it on the train today!)

EndOfDaze 04-07-2010 01:55 PM

Finished "Blind Eye" by Stuart Macbride this morning, going to start "American Psycho" by Bret Easton Ellis.

Blind eye was absolutley fantastic, I'd reccomend Stuart Macbride's work.

Breifly_Tragic </3 04-07-2010 03:13 PM

Just finished The Suicide Pcct by Rhys Thomas...was a really good read. Wouldn't reccommend it if you are easily triggered though...

Just start Friday Night Lights by...his name escapes me....

A_Stealthy_Badger 04-07-2010 03:14 PM

Just started reading The Zahir by Paulo Coelho.

Am still also working my way through Existentialism for Dummies and Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy :)

marc_darkness 04-07-2010 03:31 PM

I'm trying to read the Growing Pains of Aidrian Mole, but it's not going very well lol

Kame 04-07-2010 11:19 PM

I'm reading Perfume by Patrick Suskind. Bizarre doesn't quite cover it!

PixieHope. 06-07-2010 04:28 PM

I've started reading The Radiance of Ashes by Cyrus Mistry. It's good but really different as it's set in India and it is about the Indian way of life. An amazing insight into a different culture.

imperialhotel 07-07-2010 04:32 PM

I just finished reading Caught by Harlan Coben. Next, I really want to read Shutter Island (that has been turned into a movie).

A_Stealthy_Badger 07-07-2010 07:30 PM

Given up on The Zahir and Paulo Coelho in general.

Basically, all he has to say would sit better in a short article without the need to craft one-dimensional characters and constantly repeat himself. I can understand why people would want to read his books and potentially get sucked into his psuedo-spirituality, but I heartily recommend that people who read his work at least attempt to read something slightly more challenging, not that his fanbase will have ever read anyone else's books as they possibly struggle with words of more than 2 syllables.

Sorry, rant over, it's been a bad day...

Am now tackling Status Anxiety by Alain de Botton, and so far it's one of the most refreshing reads i've picked up in a long time.

better_version_of_me 07-07-2010 07:39 PM

I just read the Three Sisters Island trilogy (Dance Upon the Air, Heaven and Earth, and Face the Fire) by Nora Roberts and those books are AMAZING!!!

dramaqueen 09-07-2010 05:09 AM

Last book I read was Burned from House of Night series.

Now I started reading Running with scissors, but I kind of left it aside 'cause I've been watching Saint Seya obsessively :x

charlieglasgow 11-07-2010 10:48 AM

reading the pact by jodi picoult.

The War Doctor 11-07-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Stealthy_Badger (Post 2385251)
Am still also working my way through Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy :)

Anna Karenina is a masterpiece. I generally don't enjoy romantic novels, what with the vast majority of them being Wish Fulfillment Stories and/or overflowing with sickly sweet purple prose, but Anna Karenina is one of my favourite novels of all time.

I finally finished The Godfather by Mario Puzo this morning. Despite not being very long, it took me weeks to get through - it may have been adapted into one of the finest movies in history, but it's not a terribly good book. That said, it's not terribly bad; the plot, though bogged down by several pointless subplots, is for the most part superb (I mean, it's The F*cking Godfather), and the characters (even relatively minor ones like Luca Brasi, Carlo Rizzi and Albert Neri) are well-developed and distinctive (with the exception of Neri, who is even acknowledged by the main characters as "the new Luca Brasi").

It is, however, a great story poorly written. Mario Puzo's mastery of prose (and the English language in general) is juuuuust above the likes of Stephanie Meyer. The word "reasonableness" crops up on every other page, and one phrase in particular ("though Michael Corleone was only five years his senior, he seemed older. Older enough to be his father.") made me want to claw my beady little Grammar-Nazi eyes out.

Anyway, apologies for the lengthy and self-righteous review, but after spending such a long time reading it I needed to let off some steam.

Currently reading Inferno by Dante Alighieri. I've gotten through half of it already, and despite being (quite literally) a self-insert fanfiction, I'm loving every wonderful word of it. I can't believe I've put off reading it for so long.

Pierrot 11-07-2010 07:59 PM

I was going through some of our old stuff, sorting things for a yard sale, and in a box of books I found my copy of Watership Down. I'm currently re-reading it, for nostalgia value. :P

MunchBox 12-07-2010 08:53 PM

Currently reading Anne Rice - Interview with a vampire

So far so good

hope.is.overrated 12-07-2010 09:59 PM

I'm reading
- The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson
- The Marathon Man by William Goldman
- A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway
- Letters to Theo by Van Gogh

nevermind 12-07-2010 10:40 PM

Just started reading A version of reason:in search of Richey Edwards.
I'm not much of a reader(this is only my second proper book after My booky wook) but so far I'm enjoying it :)

Dreaming. 12-07-2010 11:28 PM

I read Restless by William Boyd in all of two days, so I'm now onto The Tenderness of Wolves. Seems quite good so far. I've got so many books from oxfam and other charity shops, I'm loving the opportunity to read them!

The War Doctor 13-07-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevermind (Post 2398768)
Just started reading A version of reason:in search of Richey Edwards.
I'm not much of a reader(this is only my second proper book after My booky wook) but so far I'm enjoying it :)

A Version of Reason is definitely worth a read for any Manics fan. I read it myself a while back and loved it.

A_Stealthy_Badger 13-07-2010 10:25 AM

Just finished reading Between The Monster and The Saint by Richard Holloway. Quite a good read, a study of why human beings have such a capacity for cruelty, focusing mainly on religion.

Not sure what to read next, so much choice.

makedamnsure 13-07-2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

I was going through some of our old stuff, sorting things for a yard sale, and in a box of books I found my copy of Watership Down. I'm currently re-reading it, for nostalgia value. :P
Oh I love watership down. May have to go dig out my copy!

I would love to read Anna Karenina as well but think it might have to wait til I can concentrate fully.

Just finished The Girl at the Lion D'Or. It was ok. I didn't think it was brilliant whilst I was reading it but it stayed with me afterwards and gave me a lot to think about so I guess it was better than I thought.

At the moment I am reading Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer. My nan lent it to me and I was dubious because I don't know much about Jeffrey Archer but I couldn't imagine him being a good writer but its actually reasonably good.

misskitty112 13-07-2010 04:18 PM

Just read:
The Mummy by Anne Rice
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Now reading:
Doubting Castle by Rebecca Kavaler (it's really good)

misskitty112 13-07-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teaghanbea (Post 2375304)
I'm currently reading some classics. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and if anyone tells me I'm reading this because of twilight I will shoot them >.<
I'm reading Pride & Prejudice next and then Junkie.

God, I love Wuthering Heights and Pride & Prejudice!

nevermind 13-07-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifteen Dollar Eagle (Post 2399265)
A Version of Reason is definitely worth a read for any Manics fan. I read it myself a while back and loved it.

Yeah it's great so far,a lot I didn't know about em.I reccomend it to anyone who wants a book on s/h or e/d.

The War Doctor 14-07-2010 11:32 AM

I just finished Inferno by Dante Alighieri (translated by H.F. Cary). It's as brilliant as it is disturbing.

I'm going to start Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov when I've woken up a bit.

A_Stealthy_Badger 14-07-2010 11:34 AM

I started reading Anna Karenina recently. Don't know why I put it on the back burner, I was enjoying it. From what I read, it's more accesible than you might imagine.

Pride and Prejudice - the thing that most people miss about this book is that it's actually meant to be a comedy. I have yet to see an adaptation that recognises this, and a lot of people who read it miss the point completely.

I'm between books at the moment, at a loss as to what to read.

ferretmonster 14-07-2010 11:49 AM

my script atm very slowly :/

A_Stealthy_Badger 14-07-2010 02:28 PM

Ooh tell me more ferretmonster, what are you writing?

ferretmonster 14-07-2010 04:24 PM

ohh hell no, im not writing one! its a script for a play im in for the local am drams

blimey im not that clever!

misskitty112 14-07-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Stealthy_Badger (Post 2401209)
I started reading Anna Karenina recently. Don't know why I put it on the back burner, I was enjoying it. From what I read, it's more accesible than you might imagine.

Pride and Prejudice - the thing that most people miss about this book is that it's actually meant to be a comedy. I have yet to see an adaptation that recognises this, and a lot of people who read it miss the point completely.

I'm between books at the moment, at a loss as to what to read.

I wrote a paper on how Pride and Prejudice can be viewed as a comedy.

Anywhoo, finishing up Doubting Castle, starting A Million Little Pieces by James Frey, and excitedly awaiting the delivery of The Revenger's Tragedy by Thomas Middleton to my house (since all the bookstores anywhere close to me have went out of business and I get most of my books from the library's monthly sale, amazon, and borders marketplace...)

lungs locked lips locked 14-07-2010 04:50 PM

I'm currently reading a book called "Kiss Me, Judas".
It's such an amazingly descriptive novel. Fantastic if you're a fan of the macabre, noir and disturbingly descriptive and clever writing.

Good for fans of Chuck Palaniuk or Irvine Welsh I'd say, lots of sex, drugs and violance written in a very dark but beautiful way.

Nannook 14-07-2010 04:56 PM

Just finished reading, Go Ask Alice by Anonymous.

EndOfDaze 14-07-2010 06:21 PM

Just this minute finished "American Psycho". All I have to say is that it's a DAMN weird book! I mean, my god some of it is quite hard to follow!

Tomorrow I'll start reading "Secret Smile" by Nicci French.

makedamnsure 14-07-2010 07:26 PM

American Psycho seriously disturbed me!
I have banned my brother from ever reading it!
That is one sick book.

Never really read Pride and Prejudice, I tried reading Emma once but didn't get far. Jane Eyre is the nearest I get to that genre.

The War Doctor 14-07-2010 07:42 PM

I never got very far reading Emma either. I got about 30 pages in and gave up because it literally bored me to sleep.

taz35 14-07-2010 08:53 PM

Wake - Lisa McMann

Epic book.

Spoons 14-07-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lungs locked lips locked (Post 2401506)
I'm currently reading a book called "Kiss Me, Judas".
It's such an amazingly descriptive novel. Fantastic if you're a fan of the macabre, noir and disturbingly descriptive and clever writing.

Good for fans of Chuck Palaniuk or Irvine Welsh I'd say, lots of sex, drugs and violance written in a very dark but beautiful way.

I've read this, it is very good, the ending i didnt like so much, but overall i really liked it.

there are three in the Phineas Poe collection aren't there?

Spoons 16-07-2010 06:15 PM

Now reading Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk

Mademoiselle Lola. 16-07-2010 07:32 PM

Ohh I've read Diary by Chuck Palahniuk.I liked it though I don't remember much of it except some very gross scenes.I wanted to buy 'Fight club' because I've seen the movie but I chose a book by Elfriede Jelinek instead.They're both difficult to read.

I've just finished Christine by Stephen King and now I'm starting Cell.I loved Christine though it freaked me out.

misskitty112 16-07-2010 08:37 PM

Cell freaked me out! good book though.