RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

Fry 29-09-2010 04:58 PM

I'm reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

and The Russian Revolution by Anthony Wood.

Dreaming. 29-09-2010 05:38 PM

Can't remember if I've said: Finished reading American Psycho (now watching the film, haha) and now reading Wild Swans.

sweepingly 29-09-2010 06:11 PM

Pyramids by Terry Pratchett and Good Omens for the 485743895743958th time.

Mademoiselle Lola. 29-09-2010 06:18 PM

I'm reading history coursework.Interesting,I kwow.

lozza 29-09-2010 11:12 PM

just finished reading "girl in the mirror" by cathy glass - loved it

now reading "beautiful malice' by rebecca james - so far I like it

wolfy 29-09-2010 11:16 PM

Lost Souls by Lisa Jackson is turning out to be a bit predictable and redundant.. not enough to stop reading it, but additionally I'm going to begin with The Sight by David Clement-Davies today.

Fry 01-10-2010 10:04 AM

Now reading War & Peace, Leo Tolstoy

and

Poetry: How to Get Published and How to Get Paid.

wolfy 02-10-2010 03:10 AM

Finished Lost Souls yesterday, and would not recommend it. It really came down to a "goth vampire cult" at the source of the murders? Really? Way to be completely lacking in imagination, Lisa Jackson.

Only a chapter in The Sight by David Clement-Davies and it's going a bit better. The pace is slowed down by the made-up wolf lingo, though.. I really don't think it's necessary for the purpose of this story for the personified wolves to refer to themselves as 'vargs' and have other made-up words for the Alpha positions and such. It only makes the reader lag through the dialogue.
Otherwise, I think it promises to be a far more interesting story than the last few novels I've read.

makedamnsure 03-10-2010 05:14 PM

I've read the Sight and got annoyed for the same reason as you. Why not just say Alpha male, alpha female etc. Also I don't really like stories where animals are over personified (except Watership Down).

I'm reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke. Its good. Harry Potter for "grown ups".

Athiri 04-10-2010 10:55 AM

Finished Anna Karenina last week... It was pretty epic. Very glad I read it. The intertwining themes and plots are something I aspire to be able to write.. But never will :P
Reading Cancer Ward now. Unsurprisingly its pretty depressing, but still wonderful.

wolfy 04-10-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makedamnsure (Post 2515824)
I've read the Sight and got annoyed for the same reason as you. Why not just say Alpha male, alpha female etc. Also I don't really like stories where animals are over personified (except Watership Down).

Exactly, it's a bit over the top and definitely unnecessary..
For the most part I don't like stories with overly personified animals either.. the wolves in this novel are definitely more like furry forest dwelling people than actual wolves, no doubt. (Though I'm trying to overlook it in case a good story is to be had despite that)

It's a shame because I think that animals can most definitely be portrayed in a story, even containing dialogue with other animals, while still being true to the way the animal actually thinks/behaves.

Zedebee 04-10-2010 12:02 PM

Just finished 'The Book of tomorrow' by Cecelia Ahern

Hobbes 04-10-2010 02:19 PM

I'm reading Stephen King's 'It' and I just finished 'Brave New World'.

Serenade 05-10-2010 02:38 PM

IT is a fantastic book.

Pretty much finished Bradbury's 'The Martian Chronicles', fascinating collection of short stories, great sense of irony too.

Mademoiselle Lola. 05-10-2010 04:58 PM

I'm reading Princess Diary.I know it's for kids and such,but i liked the film & i love innocent books.

I liked too It by S King.

Sefka 07-10-2010 03:03 PM

I've just finished Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffeneiger (?) - the same person who wrote The Time Traveller's Wife.
I really liked it - easy to relate to and easy to pick up again. But my feelings about it might be slightly influenced by the fact that I'm supposed to be reading up on second language acquisition theory for an exam next month and ANYTHING would look good in comparison to that :p

Laura2.0 08-10-2010 11:26 PM

finished Cut, forgot the author though.
reading: Finger Lickin' Fifteen' by Janet Evanovich

chinahorse 08-10-2010 11:47 PM

^I really liked Notes From An Exhibition but was being incredibly dense and was at the last page before I realised quite a vital thing lol.

I'm currently reading A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. For the 12th time, so yeah it could be classed as my favourite book! :P The writing style is a little hard to get into at first though.

Scrabble. 09-10-2010 12:10 AM

Im not reading anything. ]:

x

HopeRises 09-10-2010 10:22 PM

I finished Kathy Reich's 'Deadly Decisions' I really enjoyed it. Didn't know I was into 'crime fiction'

Tonight I'm going to start Earnest Hemingway- The old man and the sea.