RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The 'I need a distraction' thread. (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243064)

Aubergine 24-02-2018 02:22 AM

Yeah, that makes sense, especially as you've got work tomorrow. I hope it works for you and that you get good sleep.

Setting up your new router sounds like a plan. All I had to do with mine was plug the power cable and ADSL cable in and off I went! Sorted itself out, which is good, because I'm not great wih technology!

I hope there's someone on who can do the meds for you. Not nice doing a work day in pain.

I've got no plans. Sorting out the Fire Stick and printer, and lots of rest. I've had quite a busy week, so could do with a day where I don't have to speak to anyone! What time do you start work?

Aubergine 24-02-2018 09:35 AM

Morning. :)

Eska 24-02-2018 09:51 AM

Morning Aubergine :) How are you?

wildly insane 24-02-2018 09:54 AM

Wow, you’re awake early and last to sleep!
Did you make crumpets? We tried once, it didn’t work! Just about to make vegan pancakes, they’re awesome. We’ve actually stopped allowing technology in bed to help us sleep, it also means we’re reading more :D

Aubergine 24-02-2018 10:04 AM

Hey Eska and WI. How're you both doing?

My crumpets were out of a packet. :P Ooo vegan pancakes sound good! What toppings? Reading is good! Are you finding not using technology in bed helpful?

wildly insane 24-02-2018 10:27 AM

Definitely, although I’m reading a crazy book about African arpartheid at the moment which doesn’t help my imagination. My husband has definitely noticed the difference with his sleeping.

Simple, maple syrup (or date syrup) and bananas, although sometimes peanut butter has to make it on there as well!

Cacoethes 24-02-2018 11:24 AM

Crumpets are so good!

Pancakes sound awesome too.

I had a yogurt. Not as nice!

Aubergine 24-02-2018 12:06 PM

Ooo those sound like delicious toppings! Enjoy them! :D

Yoghurt is not so nice, Beckie! I don't really like yoghurt! How're you today? Any plans?

nonperson 24-02-2018 12:19 PM

Morning all.

Aubergine 24-02-2018 12:22 PM

Hey! How's it going, Person?

Cat lady just messaged me. She sent me another picture, said she's got a lovely temperament and that I can go and visit her from when she's five weeks old, so in about three weeks. :) She'll be ready to come home with me on the 6th of April, as she'll be eight weeks old then. Cat ladt said she'll start calling her Alice to get her used to her name. :) <3

nonperson 24-02-2018 12:25 PM

Hi >.>

I'm looking up bread pudding recipes - actually found a use for all the old bread that I've left out on my worktop...

Exciting about Alice! It'll come round quick hopefully.

chinahorse 24-02-2018 12:26 PM

Ew bread pudding is nasty.

I've literally just hot to work. To be told my 2nd best staff member isn't coming in. I want to go home.

nonperson 24-02-2018 12:29 PM

Bread pudding, not bread and butter pudding.

I like both, mind!

Why are your staff so flakey?

Aubergine 24-02-2018 12:31 PM

Ooo bread pudding is amazing! I had bread pudding made with brioche once and it was delicious!

Oh no, Lillie. :( What a nightmare. Will anyone be covering them?

nonperson 24-02-2018 12:45 PM

I've just got a random mix of bread, mostly seeded which should be interesting but fine once it's all smooshed together. Nom. Bit concerned that I found one recipe that said cook it for 45 mins and another 1.5 hours!!

Aubergine 24-02-2018 12:51 PM

Yum! :) Oh, that's weird! I guess you can check it after 45 minutes and then see how it's doing?

My best friend is running a half marathon tomorrow. She's mad.

nonperson 24-02-2018 12:54 PM

That is mad. I do kinda enjoy running though... but sprinting rather than long distance.

Aubergine 24-02-2018 01:03 PM

I guess sprinting can be quite a good way of relieving tension and stuff. Same with long distance for some people. I do not like running. I've started couch to 5k about a billion times, but I just do not find it enjoyable. Give me a walk and a swimming pool any day!

nonperson 24-02-2018 01:13 PM

I feel really self conscious running around here, otherwise I think I'd do it more.

Same with swimming, I do love swimming but way too paranoid to go...

I like cycling though - it's speedy so I can zoom quickly past anyone who's making me feel self conscious.

Aubergine 24-02-2018 01:19 PM

Oh that's a shame. Is there a quiet part of the park where you could run with not much likelyhood of being seen?

I used to be really worried about swimming until I stopped giving a fig about what people think and realised that everyone's so focussed on their own securities to be staring at/judging me! I used to not go because I was worried I'd bump into someone I knew and they would see things I didn't want them to, but I don't give a fig about that now either.

Cycling is fun! I cycle to work in the summer. Quicker than walking! I'm really picky about the weather I'll cycle in though, so don't do it as often as I'd like. Where do you like to cycle?

nonperson 24-02-2018 01:25 PM

Wish I could be that not-caring. The last time I swam was on holiday in the Lake District a few years ago and the hotel had a pool so I said **** it and went nearly every day. =)

I have a 12 mile route around the park that I do. Or... will do... when I get myself motivated again. Today would have been perfect but I have to either go really early which I LOVE or late in the evening, otherwise the park is way too busy with other cyclists, runners, dogs, people!

There probably is a quiet part of the park I could find to sprint up and down for a bit. Or.. I could incorporate it into part of my cycle ride... hmm.

I should probably cycle to work as it's only 3 miles but I'm always knackered and sweaty when I get there! And I have to get up earlier... =P

Aubergine 24-02-2018 01:30 PM

Swimming in the hotel sounds great! Perhaps you could go on holiday again and do some more swimming?! I find it so relaxing. :)

Oh that's cool. 12 miles is a nice cycle ride. Are you an early bird? I always marvel at morning people. I really hate mornings.

Incorperating a run into your cycle ride sounds like an excellent plan!

Haha, getting up earlier for work is never fun! My work is only a mile away from where I live, so cycling there is not a problem. Takes less time than walking! Though at the moment my Uncle has been giving me lifts to work, which is lovely of him. :)

Pomegranate 24-02-2018 01:47 PM

That’s nice of your uncle :-)

I’m sorry you don’t feel comfortable. What about evenings? Great Park is beautiful.

I’m just getting ready to go to work.

Aubergine 24-02-2018 01:50 PM

Hey Emma. :) How're you feeling today, kidney wise? I hope work is OK and goes quickly for you.

Yeah, my Uncle is great. :) Sometimes we go for coffee before I go to work (well, we have been since I've started working two afternoons.)

nonperson 24-02-2018 02:10 PM

I wouldn't call myself an early bird but I think tend to wake up earlier in the summer when the sun comes up. Definitely been sleeping in much later recently though so early cycle rides might be difficult to start again. I do prefer getting up early for a cycle and then it kinda sets me up for the rest of the day though...

I'd probably have to leave home before 7am if I cycled. It's only a 15-20 min cycle but I'd need recovery time once I got there before starting work at 7:30! I suppose once I got into the routine it wouldn't be so bad. I was walking to work for a bit when I had no car and that was nice, but took much longer.

I kinda want to go on a holiday this year... Not sure where. Plus never been on holiday on my own before...

nonperson 24-02-2018 02:12 PM

Hi Pomegranate/Emma (can I call you Emma?)

The park is beautiful and even more so when there are less people in it! I like catching the sunset over Virginia Water on an evening cycle. =)

Aubergine 24-02-2018 02:36 PM

Oh I have to go to this park! I've walked in the Sandringham Estate before and that was really lovely. My CC asked if she could take me to a local bluebell wood in the spring. Looking forward to it! :)

Before 7am?! To start at 7:30am?! I do not know how you do it! I struggle to get in for 9am. Though I guess it's nice to finish earlier?

Holiday could be good. Do you know where you would like to go?

nonperson 24-02-2018 02:55 PM

Love a good bluebell wood. We have those here too. ;-)

I dunno how I do it either, kinda just have to! It is nice to finish earlier.

Not sure where I'd want to go. Maybe Wales... or Scotland.... or somewhere by the sea... or visit several places along the south west coastal path... or do a volunteering holiday... or a studying holiday, like a week long course doing something practical/arty...

nonperson 24-02-2018 03:06 PM

Jeez, can't believe it's 2pm already...

Aubergine 24-02-2018 03:08 PM

Ohhh. You have all of the best things where you are! :)

Yes, I guess it's kind of a necessity! It's funny how you can just plough on with things sometimes!

I live in the south west. It's the BEST place to live. By the sea, too. I don't think I'd like to live away from the sea now. I love it. I'm hoping the nice salty air will stop the snow from coming here this week. I hate snow.

All of the other ideas sound great too! There are some beautiful places in Wales! And Scotland. I'm going to Oban in the Summer. Have been told to take mozzie spray! Volunteering holidays look good. What kind of thing would you do if that's what you decided?

Aubergine 24-02-2018 03:08 PM

It is 2pm! I'm still in my pyjamas. :P

nonperson 24-02-2018 03:20 PM

I am also still in pyjamas! Having a proper lazy day...

Uhm, I have no idea about volunteering things! I looked into it once ages ago but can't remember what I discovered. I know I then started looking at volunteering holidays abroad, like working in a rainforest or with manatees or something but that makes me scared and it's complicated with medical supplies, etc. =/

There are all the best things here but no sea! Really really do love the sea. I'm hoping there will be so snow here too. I do like snow but it stops me doing stuff at work and I want a day out next week which involves trains and trains don't 'do' weather. =P

Aubergine 24-02-2018 03:27 PM

Lazy days are good to have sometimes! I don't plan on speaking out loud today. :D

It's OK not to do something that scares you. Yeah, I guess it would make things a bit tricky with medical supplies. I wonder if there are any volunteering holiday in Europe that you could go to? Somewhere with good access to fridges/whatever you need to keep your medical suplies OK. Do something that'll give you a bit of a break though - you don't want a holiday that you're going to worry too much about. :)

Nope, no sea in London-ish. :( Pretty parks though! Day out that involves trains sounds good! Doing anything fun? I hope there's no snow for you, as no, trains really don't 'do' weather. Silly trains!

nonperson 24-02-2018 03:28 PM

I've only been speaking to the cat. >.>

There's an orchid festival that I want to go to at Kew Gardens. =B

Aubergine 24-02-2018 03:31 PM

Aww. Cat. :) Cats are the best kind of listener! Have you ever tried clicker training with Geordi? Might see how Alice gets on with it!

Oh nice! Orchids are so pretty. Will they have rare ones there? I recently killed an orchid. :(

nonperson 24-02-2018 03:36 PM

I haven't although I have seen books about clicker training cats! I can get Geordi to sit and shush for treats though!

They probably will have rare ones. I've killed a fair few as well, I have quite a collection of live ones too.

Aubergine 24-02-2018 03:41 PM

I was looking on the RSPCA website and there was a link to a site about clicker training! Cool that he'll sit and shush for treats! Clever bean.

Oh, that makes me feel not so bad, if you've killed a few too! Nice that you have a collection of live ones! What's your favourite type of plant?

nonperson 24-02-2018 03:44 PM

I'd give the clicker training a go, never heard of anyone actually doing it though but it might be good to start from kitten age.

Eek, now that's a question... I like orchids and cacti, I like houseplants in general... and for outside plants I probably like herbaceous perennials best... and alpines and bulbs.

nonperson 24-02-2018 03:45 PM

And pumpkins. =)

Aubergine 24-02-2018 03:48 PM

Yeah, I think I will give it a go. Like you said, might be good to start from kitten age. We might not get on with it, but would be cool if we did!

Oh those sound like good plants! Sorry for the difficult question. :P You mean bulbs like daffodils? My friend bought me daffodils in a pot the other day. :)

Aubergine 24-02-2018 03:48 PM

Ooo pumpkins!

nonperson 24-02-2018 04:42 PM

Yes daffodils, but crocus and there are lots of other types of bulbs too. =)

I grew a 30 stone pumpkin for work last year. :thumbup:

Aubergine 24-02-2018 05:00 PM

Wow! That's quite a pumpkin! I've seen some massive pumpkins at Halloween time, but nothing like that. I'm told the small pumpkins taste better, but I'm not sure how true that is and the small ones definitely aren't as impressive to look at!

You're so clever with plant stuff! :D

nonperson 24-02-2018 05:15 PM

Mine wasn't bred/grown for eating! The small ones are definitely the tastiest - I've still got a super tasty blue one on my back doorstep left from the autumn! Need to make soup.

Ha, not always clever but it's my "thing".

Aubergine 24-02-2018 05:22 PM

Were you able to carve it?! Was it for a halloween display or something? Ooo blue squash sounds interesting! I hope you make some yummy soup with it.

It's good to have a "thing." :)

Buttons. 24-02-2018 05:29 PM

Pumpkin soup is delicious, send me some! :P

Aubergine 24-02-2018 05:29 PM

Hey Buttons! How are you?

nonperson 24-02-2018 05:34 PM

I didn't carve it and yep it was for the autumn display at work. Doing it again this year and hopefully I'll get more than one this time. And bigger! Much, much bigger... *rubs hands together*

It is good to have a thing, but maybe not so much when it's my work and... I don't really have any other things! Like, more normal things. =/

nonperson 24-02-2018 05:34 PM

Thai pumpkin and coconut soup, Buttons? =)

Aubergine 24-02-2018 06:00 PM

Haha! Bigger?! Madness. :P When do you have to start growing pumpkins?

Hehe, I don't think that having a keen interest in plants is not-normal. Would you like other things? Some people don't and that's OK, but if you would, then that's cool too. :)