RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

Useless Information 101 27-10-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sadako (Post 1175698)
Oh nooooo, don't say that. I've just started part three so got like 100 pages to read yet.
I havent seen the film though, didn't want to until I've read the book. Is it any good?

Sorryy haha its just really good. One of my favorite books. And the film's excellent, I saw it before I read the book, its pretty faithful from what I remember. Theres one kinda big difference but its for a good climax I guess, it doesnt really change anything.

Snuffles 27-10-2008 10:35 PM

Just finished Nineteen Minutes :D

Not reading anything at the moment but hopefully going to find something soon lol..

linder surprise 27-10-2008 11:58 PM

franz kafka - the trial.

i am interested. i know this girl who is obsessed with kafka & this is my first book. it is kindof weird so far, but i've only read about 30pages.

Automatik Teknicolour 29-10-2008 11:35 AM

Just finished reading A Place Of Execution - Val McDermid
Recommended to all :-)

Stellata 29-10-2008 11:48 AM

The Sisterhood by Emily Barr.
Excellent book.
Thought provoking and dark along with Chicklit. Awesome.

Perplexity 29-10-2008 12:23 PM

Just finished reading 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' (again) it's such an awesome book! Every time I read it it has me laughing out loud.
(The film is great too)

PixieHope. 29-10-2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellata (Post 1182150)
The Sisterhood by Emily Barr.
Excellent book.
Thought provoking and dark along with Chicklit. Awesome.

i've read plan b by emily barr and that is excellent.
i think another one at home, baggage i think but not read it yet.

Devil Girl 29-10-2008 10:19 PM

Well now I have dropped English at uni (woo-hoo!) I can actually read without feeling guilty cause management and psychology books are not bed time reading I can tell you!

So reading Blood Sinister By Celia Rees, Have only just started it so don't really know what its about the blurb on the back says 'Ellen is pale and drwn, bloodless...her illness a mystery. But the bizarre history she reads in the old leather-bound diary won't let her rest. Could its story, so strangely tangled up with her own life, be reaching out to claim her, bleed her dry...?'

I picked it up once when I went on a 'manic' shopping trip last year. Its relatively short so hoping it won't take me too long! Want to try and finish Eldest after this.....been trying to read it since I started this thread!!!

mesmerized. 29-10-2008 10:22 PM

^I like Blood Sinister! I really shouldn't but I do, it's good =]

I'm reading 'Let There Be Murder', I've forgotten who it's by. It's terrible.. but in a good way? Lol.

I'm also reading 'Freewill or Predestination' by D. Andrew Penny. Yes, for fun.

Katiecakes. 29-10-2008 10:36 PM

I just finished "Breaking Dawn"....again.

And now I'm reading "The Tenth Circle" by Jodi Picoult. So good so far.

lasting 30-10-2008 12:00 AM

just finished "sold" by patricia mccormick. its really good :)

Freedom Fighter 30-10-2008 02:22 PM

the irresistible revolution
jesus for president
red letter christians

HopeRises 01-11-2008 10:47 PM

I finally finished catch 22 YESUMS.
I feel pretty proud cause it was hard for me to read.
I'm now going to start reading torey hayden-silent boy.

greenspot 02-11-2008 04:00 AM

I just finshed salem falls by jodie piccoult

BunnythesAINT 02-11-2008 04:07 AM

Catcher in the Rye- by...oh right J.D Salinger. Yeah I didn't like it.
And now it's Lone ranger and tonto fist fight in heaven or something like that. These are for English. I would read more, but then I forget about the english books and never finish them =/. We were suppose to read Girl, Interrupted but then she switched the books and we're not reading it until like January. I would read it now, but I want to wait until January. Yeah, I just want to be surprised with the rest of the class.

Spoons 02-11-2008 12:56 PM

God bless you, Dr Kevorkian- Kurt Vonnegut

Devil Girl 02-11-2008 02:49 PM

Started The December Boys This will be my 'at the weekend book'

And going to try and finish Eldest at uni.

Finished Blood Sinister which was good!

I am glad I have dropped english so I can actually read for pleasure in the evenings again!

PixieHope. 02-11-2008 11:28 PM

I finally finished Atonement the other day :) was really good.

Now have to read Mister Pip for uni, it seems quite good though.

Douglass 02-11-2008 11:42 PM

Stephen Kings Dark Tower series. I am half way through the 4th book, Wizard and Glass.
Also I have the marvel comic book adaptations of the book which I am going to read after reading the series.

linder surprise 02-11-2008 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoons (Post 1190451)
God bless you, Dr Kevorkian- Kurt Vonnegut

how was it?

Spoons 03-11-2008 01:22 PM

i liked it, its very short only 78 pages and the pages are very spread out.
i thought it was good, put a little smile on my face, but you can easly read it in 30 mins.

linder surprise 03-11-2008 07:29 PM

ahhh i bought so many books today. so cheap aswell. at various charity shops. i really don't know when i will get the chance to read them all, but they are mine now.
i got:
romeo & juliet. it is so cute! it's kindof square shaped & just has the title on the front with navy background. i really love it.
tender is the night - f scott fitzgerald.
the plague - albert camus.
mrs dalloway - virgina woolf.
art objects - jeanette winterson.
junk - melvin burgess.

so much happy. can not contain.

Cathy 03-11-2008 07:51 PM

"so much happy."

linda, you are on a roll!

PixieHope. 03-11-2008 08:25 PM

Junk is a good book!

I really want to read some of Virginia Woolf's books, my english teacher at A Level loved her.

Spoons 03-11-2008 09:55 PM

i love getting books at charity shops because they are cheap and you can get so many for the normal price of one in somewhere like waterstones and you are helping the charity its a win win really.

im now reading The Berlin Wall-Frederick Taylor.
its not a uni book im reading it for fun. full blown geekage, meh i love history!!

linder surprise 04-11-2008 12:48 AM

i have 3 virginia woolf books now & i haven't read any! one is orlando though & i will have to read that in a couple of weeks for uni. woolf is one of my friends' favourite authors so i am intrigued/excited.

charity shops are really good yeah. i bought six (good condition) books today for 8.85 (i just worked it out, it wasn't difficult).

beautiful&dying 04-11-2008 12:49 PM

Im reading 'Sick and Tired: Healing the illnesses doctors cannot heal' which is written by a doctor and is about functional illnesses and how they are getting more and more diagnosed, despite organic illnesses being more and more easy to treat. It's very interesting and it's making me think about how a lot of physical problems are essential mental in nature, it's all good.
xxxxxxxxxxxx

one_step_closer 04-11-2008 01:16 PM

Change of Heart - Jodi Picoult

HopeRises 04-11-2008 10:21 PM

I'm still reading Torey Hayden- Silent boy. It's quiet good but, It's taking longer than expected. Usually I can read a Torey Hayden book within 24hours but I just can't seem to get into this one.

one_step_closer 05-11-2008 09:21 AM

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time - Mark Haddon

HopeRises 05-11-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_step_closer (Post 1197501)
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time - Mark Haddon

I love that book.

Arioch 05-11-2008 10:26 PM

I'm reading V.A.L.I.S. by Philip K. Dick.
Dick had mental health problems and VALIS is pretty much about the ideas stemming from them.

one_step_closer 06-11-2008 01:08 PM

Nineteen Minutes - Jodi Picoult

Spoons 06-11-2008 02:07 PM

^^^how many books do you read in the average month??

one_step_closer 06-11-2008 02:22 PM

:laugh: I have no idea!

marshmallow 06-11-2008 05:16 PM

i just read 'theg great gatsby' for english lit - i liked it.
kinda sad though. x

Zedebee 06-11-2008 05:21 PM

I finished 'Cut' by Cathy Glass a while ago. It was certainly interesting. Not my cup of coffee though...

I've just started 'The Gift' by Cecelia Ahern, and 'Count to ten' by Karen Rose. Both already amazing. Although it's the first Karen Rose book that I've found slightly triggering.

Sharloid. 06-11-2008 05:24 PM

I'm currently reading The Naked Ape by Desmon Morris. It's a "Zoologist's Study of the Human Animal".

:)

Spoons 06-11-2008 05:42 PM

^^^ that sounds quite interesting actually... is it any good so far?

mesmerized. 06-11-2008 07:20 PM

I just read 'Metamorphosis' (& whatever else was in the book) by Kafka. Love it <3.

No idea what to read next. I'm going book shopping tomorrow. Yayz :)

Katiecakes. 06-11-2008 07:24 PM

Reading "The Double Bind" by...someone =P
But I'm also reading "Vernon God Little" by DCB Pierre for English and "Tenth Circle" by Jodi Picoult again.

linder surprise 06-11-2008 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshmallow (Post 1200475)
i just read 'theg great gatsby' for english lit - i liked it.
kinda sad though. x

i wish we did the great gatsby for english lit. we did chaucer! eugh. it was horrible.

i am reading kafka's the trial & i thought i would like it because it's all ~mysterious~ & stuff, but right now i just find it SO BORINGGGG.

Spoons 06-11-2008 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PixieKay (Post 1200805)
Reading "The Double Bind" by...someone =P
But I'm also reading "Vernon God Little" by DCB Pierre for English and "Tenth Circle" by Jodi Picoult again.

i picked up vernon god little from a charity shop the other week, is it any good?

gypsyroselee 07-11-2008 03:36 PM

i'm just finishing 'haunted' by chuck palahnuik.
afterwards i'll probably read 'snuff' by chuck palahnuik.
then after that i'll probably read 'survivor'.
then i will have read the majority of his books.
so i will order the ones that i don't have!
i love him!

gypsyroselee 07-11-2008 03:37 PM

oh&actually, i bought a book the other day that amazon recommended me. but i can't remember what it was.
but on the front it had a chuck palahnuik quote saying like "this is the best book ever" or something.

...im not obsessed.

Spoons 07-11-2008 10:02 PM

^^go on his website and he says loads of books that have influenced him, or books that he really likes. He is a big fan of Amy Hempel

nowhereman 07-11-2008 10:30 PM

I'm readint the Kevin and Sadie books by Joan Lingard, I read them when I was younger so it's good to read them again.

Spoons 08-11-2008 12:12 AM

i have a pile of books that ive started but im at abit of a standstill really.

other than books for uni
unbearable weight- Susan Bordo
anorexic bodies- Morag Macsween

linder surprise 08-11-2008 12:52 AM

lol i remember when there was this one weekend when i went palahniuk mad & read about a million interviews with him talking on & on & on about amy hempel. i had to wiki her.

i have to read the periodic table by primo levis by monday guys! & i just started earlier today. &it's like 250 pages long, i have read 30. ahhh. &it's all about science & things so far. i am doomed.

crazykat 08-11-2008 01:06 AM

I have just started reading Faith by Lesley Pearse