RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

Dreaming. 07-09-2011 10:11 PM

Reading Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut and really enjoying it so far. It's one of those classic types that I feel I should read, but I'm enjoying it too.

nowhereman 11-09-2011 04:45 AM

Just finished The Demon's Surrender, about to start Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella.

Ryn 11-09-2011 05:51 AM

About to finish The Book of Useless information. Probably going to finish Inkspell next, or start The Giver.

nowhereman 12-09-2011 09:14 AM

Just started Gone by Michael Grant. I have the three books.

The War Doctor 12-09-2011 04:08 PM

Finished my book of Philip K. Dick short stories. They were brilliant, with the exception of Sales Pitch and The Father-Thing, which I didn't really care for.

Currently reading The Complete Spike Milligan, a collection of scripts, poems, short stories and drawings by the man who influenced pretty much all modern comedy. Even his material from the 50's has aged well, and had me struggling not to burst out laughing on a crowded bus.

Folded 15-09-2011 12:30 AM

Currently reading Bear v Shark. It's a novel about a future in which televisions are omnipresent. "The old televisions had an off switch." - That's the entirety of one chapter early on. Kinda sets the tone.

It's interesting. Written a decade or so ago and it's curious to see which stuff the author got right and which stuff they got wrong. In many ways, it reads more like a novel about the internet / mobile communication than television. But it's a wonderfully written book, heavily stylised but a real page-turner.

The War Doctor 15-09-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Folded (Post 2955488)
Currently reading Bear v Shark. It's a novel about a future in which televisions are omnipresent. "The old televisions had an off switch." - That's the entirety of one chapter early on. Kinda sets the tone.

It's interesting. Written a decade or so ago and it's curious to see which stuff the author got right and which stuff they got wrong. In many ways, it reads more like a novel about the internet / mobile communication than television. But it's a wonderfully written book, heavily stylised but a real page-turner.

Who wrote it? It sounds interesting, I might check it out.

Folded 15-09-2011 08:29 PM

The Men Who Stare At Goats is a wonderful book, both hilarious and frightening. The film, which had almost nothing to do with it despite claiming "more of this is true than you'd think", was awful.

monket 16-09-2011 07:31 AM

^ I liked that movie :)

Though pretty much without fail, the book is always better.

Currently reading: Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Folded 16-09-2011 08:44 AM

^ Right, I did not get on with that at all. The constant stop-start required to go through all the footnotes, and the forced, kinda-Dickensian writing style. It just didn't sit well for me, and spoiled what was otherwise a strong story.

nowhereman 17-09-2011 12:06 AM

Just started Hunger, the second in the Gone series by Michael Grant.

MunchBox 17-09-2011 03:41 PM

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk again.

Fry 18-09-2011 07:29 PM

The Custom of the Country - Edith Wharton

The War Doctor 24-09-2011 12:52 PM

Finished The Compulsive Spike Milligan by... well, by Spike Milligan. Very funny stuff. I especially liked the extracts from his war memoirs and the According To series (The Bible According To Spike Milligan was particularly hilarious).

That said, I probably won't read it again. It's just a collection of extracts, and I'd rather have entire books.

Just started Bram Stoker's Dracula, for the RYL Book Club.

Dreaming. 25-09-2011 09:50 AM

Recently read Slaughterhouse-Five which I enjoyed. Now reading Ubik by Philip K Dick (I'm going through a bit of a sci-fi thing at the moment I think)

nowhereman 25-09-2011 09:49 PM

Finished Lies by Michael Grant, HUnger and Rage by Jackie Morse something, just started Golf Monster by Alice Cooper.

0121-Dave. 28-09-2011 10:58 AM

Bridges for modellers - L.V.Wood

nowhereman 29-09-2011 03:56 AM

You Against Me by Jenny Downham. (author of Before I Die)

Revolving Door 29-09-2011 11:11 AM

^ let me know if its good! I wasn't blown away by 'Before I Die' but am still interested in 'You Against Me'

I just finished A Voice in the Distance By Tabitha Suzuma which was very good and true to what its like living with someone with bipolar.

nowhereman 29-09-2011 11:54 PM

You're the second person who asked me to let them know lol. It was good enough, I'll pm you. I've now started Faking 19 by Alyson Noel. I read that book you're reaidng now, it was good and she's another book can[t remember the name but if you like that one you'll like her other one.