RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

NCL347 13-06-2010 03:36 PM

ive just finished breaking dawn, and it was EPIC, i loved it...
i can see myself reading that pleanty more times....
deffo worth saving up for.

ive just started reading undomestic godess for te second time,
i cried the first time, and i just fell in love with it, so im testing to see if it has the same impact the second time

Mademoiselle Lola. 13-06-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil Girl (Post 2349557)
Well I finished Juliet, Naked By Nick Hornby last night. I did enjoy it but I didn't find it as funny and easy going as A Long Way Down which I have read by him! Interesting and worth reading but I would maybe try and borrow it of someone!

Also read What I Was By Meg Rossoff - Not great but as it was a teenage type book it got me reading a wee bit more again.

Now I have started The Amber Spyglass By Philip Pullman - it has been sitting in my bookshelf for YEARS so thought 'will finally get this trilogy finished!!!

I loved 'A long way down'.I haven't read Juliet,naked,but I heard from good sources it's not that great.

Devil Girl 13-06-2010 03:57 PM

^ Yeah, it was no where near the standard I had hoped for but still a worthwhile read...

Dreaming. 14-06-2010 10:35 AM

Satre - The Age of Reason. I promised my friend about four months ago that I'd read it and I still haven't, so thought I should force myself to now.

Charmed 14-06-2010 10:51 AM

I just read Handle With Care by Jodi Piccoult :) it was very good i recommend it, some bits were a bit iffy though...

Im now reading Change of Heart by Jodi Piccoult :) Its very good. i would also recommend that. Im only half way through though but its good :).

Mademoiselle Lola. 14-06-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charmed (Post 2351685)
I just read Handle With Care by Jodi Piccoult :) it was very good i recommend it, some bits were a bit iffy though...

Im now reading Change of Heart by Jodi Piccoult :) Its very good. i would also recommend that. Im only half way through though but its good :).

Have you read 'My sister's keeper' by J Picoult?It's great.

Has anyone read Franz Kafka's stories?Is it just me or he has an obsession with food and weight?And he wrote 'The hunger artist' which is,in my opinion,about anorexia.Well,it might be MY obsession with food which tells me he's got an obsession with food,but in every single story he says something about food and weight.Weird.

Later edit:Ok,I've just googled it and apparentely Kafka had anorexia.I knew it haha!

lovelybones 14-06-2010 06:25 PM

Just started A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn. Disturbing in a lot of ways, but very educational. Makes you realise how the US History textbooks they made us in the States read are total BS

mollysaysrecover 14-06-2010 07:03 PM

I've recently read Wuthering Heights and P.S I Love You. They're both amazing books. My favourite books are Go Ask Alice and Wuthering Heights. I suggest reading them if you ever have the time!

Charmed 14-06-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryptOrchid (Post 2351847)

Yeah i have read that too :) its awesome :) made me cry quite a lot though! I have read most of her books she is my new favourite author :) Have you read some of her other ones? :)

Charmed 14-06-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryptOrchid (Post 2351847)

Has anyone read Franz Kafka's stories?Is it just me or he has an obsession with food and weight?And he wrote 'The hunger artist' which is,in my opinion,about anorexia.Well,it might be MY obsession with food which tells me he's got an obsession with food,but in every single story he says something about food and weight.Weird.

Later edit:Ok,I've just googled it and apparentely Kafka had anorexia.I knew it haha!

Charmed 14-06-2010 09:59 PM

Sorry ignore the second post i didnt mean to send that :S

gypsyroselee 14-06-2010 10:16 PM

i just read Dear John by Nicholas Sparks (or something) because i wanted something light-hearted after Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel which i found a bit draining.

Now i have the new Chuck Palahniuk Tell All. I'm not too far in yet and i think i will have to read it at quite a fast pace to really get into it. I never finished his last book, Pygmy, because i didn't really have time or would always be too tired to keep up but now i pretty much only have free time and i have a big pile of books i've picked up from charity shops to read.

whirlpools 15-06-2010 04:00 PM

Prozac Nation is just a bit whine-y and miserable for me.

I've just started reading Sophie's World. I want to be able to understand Philosophy, but I'm not completely sure I'm getting it yet.

Devil Girl 15-06-2010 08:06 PM

Sophies world is a fantastic book!

Fry 15-06-2010 08:36 PM

I've just finished reading 1984, George Orwell.

Left Phalange 15-06-2010 10:02 PM

Right now I'm reading four books. O_O I don't know why I do that.
The Tenth Circle - I'm almost finished that and I like it a lot, it's by Jodi Picoult, but it can be quite triggering, taking into account abuse and SH.
The Bell Jar - I haven't read much of it, but I quite like it.
Time Traveller's Wife - Haven't read more of it in aaages, so I should really catch up, it's VERY confusing though.
The Lovely Bones - WAYYY better than the film, very easy to get into and read.

whirlpools 15-06-2010 10:03 PM

I really enjoyed 1984, it was easier to read than I was expecting. What did you think of it?

Fry 15-06-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disappear (Post 2354690)
I really enjoyed 1984, it was easier to read than I was expecting. What did you think of it?

I thought it had some interesting ideas within it. I found it dragged in some parts but that towards the end it was more exciting. The very end was so depressing. I liked some of the words in newspeak :)

Dreaming. 15-06-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I.Heart.Hobbit (Post 2354483)
I've just finished reading 1984, George Orwell.

I really enjoyed 1984; it's one of those books I'd expected to be horrible, but I found it an incredibly fascinating book - what did you think?
If you enjoy it, I'd recommend reading Brave New World soon too. It's quite contrasting in philosophy, but amazing to read together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Choley
The Bell Jar - I haven't read much of it, but I quite like it.
Time Traveller's Wife - Haven't read more of it in aaages, so I should really catch up, it's VERY confusing though.
The Lovely Bones - WAYYY better than the film, very easy to get into and read.

Bell Jar is one of those books you have to read. It's just quite moving, even if somebody hasn't experienced mental illness - which I really, really like, I think that's quite a skill to have.
Time Traveller's wife is very confusing, haha. Good book, though - did you see the film first?
Lovely Bones - haven't seen the film, but the book was quite moving and yeah, very easy to get into and read.

What did you think?

Fry 15-06-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreaming. (Post 2354891)
I really enjoyed 1984; it's one of those books I'd expected to be horrible, but I found it an incredibly fascinating book - what did you think?
If you enjoy it, I'd recommend reading Brave New World soon too. It's quite contrasting in philosophy, but amazing to read together.

Thanks for the recommendation :)

Written what I thought of it a couple of posts back :)