RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

<(O_O<) (>O_O)> 22-08-2011 08:04 PM

"port mortuary" - patricia cornwell.

Dreaming. 22-08-2011 10:08 PM

Philip K Dick! My new-found love.

I'm currently re-reading Birdsong as it's been a good eight years or so since I last read it, and I feel I missed a lot of the amazingness of it.

Also half-reading Stephen Fry's autobiography, which I'm loving to pieces (and I'm totally not normally an autobiography person).

The War Doctor 23-08-2011 09:42 PM

I've finally gotten around to starting Hamlet by... hell, you know who wrote it. I'm not very far in, but I'm loving that familiar Shakespeary feel.

nowhereman 25-08-2011 03:43 PM

I've read Girl Parts, Vampire Beach, The Avenger and am now on Shadows on the Moon. (the main girl cuts herself, I didnt know that)

xxhappydaysxx 25-08-2011 10:05 PM

finally reading "To Kill a Mockingbird"

DannieGirl 28-08-2011 01:59 AM

Hey =) I'm currently reading memoirs of a geisha... good book :) quite inspiring as well as it allows you to believe the quote "never give up"

Veggie 28-08-2011 03:19 AM

Just finished Alice in Wonderland for the 2nd time. Kids book my butt. Going to start reading the Scarlet Letter.

Athiri 28-08-2011 05:55 PM

Recently finished reading Money by Martin Amis. It was alright, a bit typical of that kind of book (hedonistic and easily dislikable protagonist who fritters away money on booze and women) and not particularly exciting until the ending which was quite a twist.
Now reading Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams. I've never read anything of his before but I'm really loving his style so far :)

xxhappydaysxx 28-08-2011 10:25 PM

a midwives confession was good :)

nowhereman 31-08-2011 01:03 AM

I just started The Demon's Covenant by Sarah Rees Brennan. The first one was good.

Antebellum 31-08-2011 03:13 AM

I have just (this second actually!) finished reading 'Tipping The Velvet by Sarah Waters'

I actually feel a little depressed over having finished it!!!! I have read it in a few days and found it quite enchanting lol

I have to say that every lesbian out there should read it! If I wasn't sure I was gay before reading it I am now! I think i've fallen in love with half the characters :wow:

The book is well written and keeps hold of your attention and imagination! Definitely worth a read.

Now I have the issue of choosing which book to read next...

A. Ink Heart (and the following books) by Cornelia Funke
B. Re-read the Twilight series and dull my brain with vampires for a few weeks!

C. Re-read all the Harry Potters... although I should really say re re re re re-read them lol (I've read them so many times I think I know them off by heart)

or

D. The colour Purple by Alice walker OR Re-read Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs.

Too many choices....

I now realise I have rambled myself to death.

:confused:

nowhereman 31-08-2011 03:17 AM

I love Tipping the Velvet! It's really sad in parts but describes being depressed and heart broken really well. Now you need to go buy the film, well it's not an actual film, it was a two part tv show. I have one of her (Sarah Waters) other books but haven;t read it yet,

Pink Lemonade Fairy 31-08-2011 02:36 PM

'The Room', it started off slow but now I see why because I feel so attached to the characters, it's good

The One Who 31-08-2011 03:04 PM

Vellum by Hal Duncan. It was very odd, jumps about all over the place, but if you can get over that then it was quite enjoyable as a fantasy novel.

Carousel 31-08-2011 05:28 PM

Just finished reading 'Redeeming Love' by Francine Rivers. It was amazing, I'd recommend it to anyone :)

beautifulbutterflies 31-08-2011 05:40 PM

Just read Metro Girl by Janet Evanovich.

Reading the sequel, Motor Mouth, now.

The War Doctor 01-09-2011 01:51 AM

I finished Hamlet today, and I loved it. I have no idea what students are complaining about. I had to study King Lear in school, and Hamlet is much better (which is less a knock on the former, and more a testament to the brilliance of the latter).

Tomorrow I'll start on The Father-Thing: Volume Three of the Collected Stories by Philip K. Dick. Twenty-three short stories' worth of fantastic sci-fi madness.

BeautyFiend 01-09-2011 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancintrulife (Post 2941153)
Now you need to go buy the film, well it's not an actual film, it was a two part tv show.

Three part TV show!

I'm not normally one for reading the 'best sellers' type, but I got pressured in to reading all the Stieg Larsson, which I loved... and now I'm reading Jo Nesbo - The Redbreast, which I am absolutely LOVING.

BeautyFiend 01-09-2011 02:03 AM

OH, and Tina Fey - Bossypants is brilliant!

Revolving Door 07-09-2011 08:25 PM

I'm currently reading Ash By Malinda Lo, it is a teenage book, and I only picked it up because it's my name and I liked the cover, but it is a bit too childish for me. I will finish it, but it's not a book I would recommend except for you teens which is whom it's aimed at so I shouldn't complain!