RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

fallen wings44 11-02-2010 06:58 PM

im reading candy by:Kevin Brooks

ReticentRose 11-02-2010 07:47 PM

This week, I have read: Chasing Vermeer, The Pearl, Othello, The Wrong Boy, Fever Pitch (which I enjoyed, but not as much as I would have if I had any interest in football), The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, Eleven O'clock Chocolate Cake, Emma, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Two Caravans; and I'm now rereading Markus Zusak's 'The Book Thief', which I adore and am reading three chapters at a time with another book in between each one because I don't want the story to end, or to have to take it back to the library.
...I love books...

ThinkingofRecovery 11-02-2010 08:15 PM

I am about to start reading 'The Secret Scripture' by Sebastian Barry

Devil Girl 11-02-2010 08:45 PM

The Secret Scripture is good!

ColourExplosion 11-02-2010 08:59 PM

Betrayed :) (Second book in the House of Night series by P.C and Kristen Cast)
It's good!

PixieHope. 12-02-2010 11:18 AM

How can people manage to read so much?
I've almost finished my book and that's taken like a week, unless I'm a slow reader compared to you lot!!

Devil Girl 12-02-2010 04:01 PM

^ I get shocked at the ammount some people read! I only managed like 8 books last year, my mum managed 1 maybe!

I think its like if you have time to read etc, like I have finished two books in one day, but can take ages gget through another. Don't think it is cause you are slow! A book in a week is fast in my eyes!

The War Doctor 12-02-2010 06:34 PM

For me it really depends on how much time I have to read. I read To Kill a Mockingbird in about 8 hours, and Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows in one day, but the last time I read The Outsider (only just over 100 pages long)it took two or three days because I was too busy to just sit down and read.

Just read: The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction by Walter Benjamin. Turns out it had three essays in it - the title one (which I barely understood to be honest), Kafka: On the Tenth Anniversary of His Death (which I didn't understand AT ALL) and Picturing Proust which, thankfully, was much easier to follow than the first two, which were practically incomprehensible.

Currently reading: Shadow of a Dark Queen by Raymond E. Feist. Surprisingly, I'm enjoying it. I didn't think I would, as I'm not a big fan of fantasy. Still, I have noticed some pretty glaring clichés... half-elves. Why must sci-fi and fantasy writers include half-breeds? It's pure nonsense! And it's always half-elves too, never half-dwarfs or half-gnomes... oh well.

Reading next: Waiting For Godot by Samuel Beckett. Recommended to me by my English teacher after a rather surreal creative writing assignment. I've heard it is one of the weirdest plays in existence. Should be cool.

PixieHope. 12-02-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil Girl (Post 2136720)
^ I get shocked at the ammount some people read! I only managed like 8 books last year, my mum managed 1 maybe!

I think its like if you have time to read etc, like I have finished two books in one day, but can take ages gget through another. Don't think it is cause you are slow! A book in a week is fast in my eyes!

Yeah, my last book took me four weeks! I don't mind really, it's just that people read so much!

rosierose 12-02-2010 09:29 PM

Has anyone read The Silver Linings Playbook? I'm about 3/4 way through - it's really good!

lost in dreams 13-02-2010 03:20 AM

I have just read baby x which was really good

i am now reading silent boy by Tory Hayden which is really good to. I love all of her books.

I think i am going to read twlight next.

HopeRises 13-02-2010 04:16 AM

Its taken me ages to read a 200 odd page book..like over 2 weeks..but then I don't read it constantly or even every night. I think I've only read it two nights.

Devil Girl 13-02-2010 09:13 AM

I finished scarred by Sophie Andrews last night. I liked it but found it very triggering! Felt her adult life after hospital was rather rushed though! But nice book!

Just finished the thought that counts by jared douglas kant - was good but maybe not as flowing as previous books in this mental health initiative series but was informative (info was good but personal story didn't flow aswell as others)

dono what I'll start later!!

Devil Girl 13-02-2010 12:23 PM

Just started Skin Game By Caroline Kettlewell

one_step_closer 13-02-2010 02:59 PM

Night Shift - Stephen King.

Sparky! 13-02-2010 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil Girl (Post 2137994)
Just started Skin Game By Caroline Kettlewell

I've wanted to read that for a while - let me know if it's any good!

Keep starting books and giving up on them, but am going to try reading 'Lullabies for Little Criminals' by Heather O'Neill next - looks quite good.

QuietChaos 13-02-2010 10:17 PM

Dead to the World - Charlaine Harris

makedamnsure 13-02-2010 11:34 PM

prozac nation. how I haven't read it before now I don't know. Maybe just coz dont want anyone seeing it on my book shelf. I like it so far but it has made me cry a few times so far, and made me angry in places too.

cowgirl_2418 14-02-2010 02:23 AM

I'm reading 'Go Ask Alice' it's a diary of a girl. It's a really good book.

one_step_closer 14-02-2010 02:26 PM

My Body, My Enemy - Claire Beeken.