RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

Devil Girl 04-07-2010 09:49 AM

Finished Electroboy By Andy Brehman a few days ago. Need to start The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo By Stieg Larsson (think I will start it on the train today!)

EndOfDaze 04-07-2010 01:55 PM

Finished "Blind Eye" by Stuart Macbride this morning, going to start "American Psycho" by Bret Easton Ellis.

Blind eye was absolutley fantastic, I'd reccomend Stuart Macbride's work.

Breifly_Tragic </3 04-07-2010 03:13 PM

Just finished The Suicide Pcct by Rhys Thomas...was a really good read. Wouldn't reccommend it if you are easily triggered though...

Just start Friday Night Lights by...his name escapes me....

A_Stealthy_Badger 04-07-2010 03:14 PM

Just started reading The Zahir by Paulo Coelho.

Am still also working my way through Existentialism for Dummies and Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy :)

marc_darkness 04-07-2010 03:31 PM

I'm trying to read the Growing Pains of Aidrian Mole, but it's not going very well lol

Kame 04-07-2010 11:19 PM

I'm reading Perfume by Patrick Suskind. Bizarre doesn't quite cover it!

PixieHope. 06-07-2010 04:28 PM

I've started reading The Radiance of Ashes by Cyrus Mistry. It's good but really different as it's set in India and it is about the Indian way of life. An amazing insight into a different culture.

imperialhotel 07-07-2010 04:32 PM

I just finished reading Caught by Harlan Coben. Next, I really want to read Shutter Island (that has been turned into a movie).

A_Stealthy_Badger 07-07-2010 07:30 PM

Given up on The Zahir and Paulo Coelho in general.

Basically, all he has to say would sit better in a short article without the need to craft one-dimensional characters and constantly repeat himself. I can understand why people would want to read his books and potentially get sucked into his psuedo-spirituality, but I heartily recommend that people who read his work at least attempt to read something slightly more challenging, not that his fanbase will have ever read anyone else's books as they possibly struggle with words of more than 2 syllables.

Sorry, rant over, it's been a bad day...

Am now tackling Status Anxiety by Alain de Botton, and so far it's one of the most refreshing reads i've picked up in a long time.

better_version_of_me 07-07-2010 07:39 PM

I just read the Three Sisters Island trilogy (Dance Upon the Air, Heaven and Earth, and Face the Fire) by Nora Roberts and those books are AMAZING!!!

dramaqueen 09-07-2010 05:09 AM

Last book I read was Burned from House of Night series.

Now I started reading Running with scissors, but I kind of left it aside 'cause I've been watching Saint Seya obsessively :x

charlieglasgow 11-07-2010 10:48 AM

reading the pact by jodi picoult.

The War Doctor 11-07-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Stealthy_Badger (Post 2385251)
Am still also working my way through Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy :)

Anna Karenina is a masterpiece. I generally don't enjoy romantic novels, what with the vast majority of them being Wish Fulfillment Stories and/or overflowing with sickly sweet purple prose, but Anna Karenina is one of my favourite novels of all time.

I finally finished The Godfather by Mario Puzo this morning. Despite not being very long, it took me weeks to get through - it may have been adapted into one of the finest movies in history, but it's not a terribly good book. That said, it's not terribly bad; the plot, though bogged down by several pointless subplots, is for the most part superb (I mean, it's The F*cking Godfather), and the characters (even relatively minor ones like Luca Brasi, Carlo Rizzi and Albert Neri) are well-developed and distinctive (with the exception of Neri, who is even acknowledged by the main characters as "the new Luca Brasi").

It is, however, a great story poorly written. Mario Puzo's mastery of prose (and the English language in general) is juuuuust above the likes of Stephanie Meyer. The word "reasonableness" crops up on every other page, and one phrase in particular ("though Michael Corleone was only five years his senior, he seemed older. Older enough to be his father.") made me want to claw my beady little Grammar-Nazi eyes out.

Anyway, apologies for the lengthy and self-righteous review, but after spending such a long time reading it I needed to let off some steam.

Currently reading Inferno by Dante Alighieri. I've gotten through half of it already, and despite being (quite literally) a self-insert fanfiction, I'm loving every wonderful word of it. I can't believe I've put off reading it for so long.

Pierrot 11-07-2010 07:59 PM

I was going through some of our old stuff, sorting things for a yard sale, and in a box of books I found my copy of Watership Down. I'm currently re-reading it, for nostalgia value. :P

MunchBox 12-07-2010 08:53 PM

Currently reading Anne Rice - Interview with a vampire

So far so good

hope.is.overrated 12-07-2010 09:59 PM

I'm reading
- The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson
- The Marathon Man by William Goldman
- A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway
- Letters to Theo by Van Gogh

nevermind 12-07-2010 10:40 PM

Just started reading A version of reason:in search of Richey Edwards.
I'm not much of a reader(this is only my second proper book after My booky wook) but so far I'm enjoying it :)

Dreaming. 12-07-2010 11:28 PM

I read Restless by William Boyd in all of two days, so I'm now onto The Tenderness of Wolves. Seems quite good so far. I've got so many books from oxfam and other charity shops, I'm loving the opportunity to read them!

The War Doctor 13-07-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevermind (Post 2398768)
Just started reading A version of reason:in search of Richey Edwards.
I'm not much of a reader(this is only my second proper book after My booky wook) but so far I'm enjoying it :)

A Version of Reason is definitely worth a read for any Manics fan. I read it myself a while back and loved it.

A_Stealthy_Badger 13-07-2010 10:25 AM

Just finished reading Between The Monster and The Saint by Richard Holloway. Quite a good read, a study of why human beings have such a capacity for cruelty, focusing mainly on religion.

Not sure what to read next, so much choice.