RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

nowhereman 11-10-2011 02:43 AM

Finally finished Dracula. About to start Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson. I've read two of her books already, they were so good (Speak and Wintergirls)

nowhereman 11-10-2011 07:54 AM

Twisted was so good I've finished it already. Next in line is Carry me Down by MJ Hyland.

Serendipity. 12-10-2011 12:16 AM

^I love MJ Hyland. 'Carry Me Down' was.. disturbing but really, really gripping.

Field Of Paper Flowers 12-10-2011 02:38 AM

I know it's not a book but I'm reading the Elfen Lied manga at the moment. On chapter 86 at the moment and I LOVE IT! =D Got like less than 20 chapters left now. =)

charcoal feathers 13-10-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazykat (Post 2972681)
Just finished reading 'Mummy told me not to tell' by Cathy Glass

and now i've just reading I Miss Mummy - Cathy Glass

Hobbes 13-10-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The One Who (Post 2979006)
I've just finished reading The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood. So, so, so much better than the HBO mini-series (and in my opinion HBO can do little wrong). A really gripping read, and quite moving. All the more so for knowing that it is real.

I've just ordered this book after reading this. I loved the HBO mini-series but had no idea there was a book so cheers :-D

one_step_closer 15-10-2011 10:02 AM

The Night the Angels Came - Cathy Glass.

CelticWings 17-10-2011 07:47 PM

Breaking Dawn for the umpteenth time. I love Twilight and have all the movies that are out as well as the books in print and on my iphone. Have lost count of how many times have read/watched the movies. Once done I think I'll reread Eragon.

Other books I've read recently are, The Host, Dracula, Wuthering Heights, Pride & Prejudice, The Sisters Grimm up to book 5, Firestar, and Charmed-Official Movie Guide.

The War Doctor 17-10-2011 07:50 PM

I finished reading Dracula this morning and honestly, I didn't think much of it. Groundbreaking for its day, but it has aged terribly. I wouldn't read it again, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it.

At some point tonight or tomorrow, I'm going to get started on Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett. Should be a good read. Pratchett always is.

Petrichor 18-10-2011 01:07 AM

Reading Frankenstein for class. Slowly. Also reading The Book of Human Skin for myself, not for class. Also slowly.

Field Of Paper Flowers 21-10-2011 01:40 AM

Last book I finished reading was Mini Shopaholic and I currently have bookmarks in Sex & The City and The Puppy That Came For Christmas. I haven't been in the mood for reading lately but I know I'll get back into the swing of things soon. =)

one_step_closer 22-10-2011 03:57 PM

Reality GP - Ken Moody.

Leo Pard 22-10-2011 04:05 PM

Just started 'A Picture of Dorian Gray' by Oscar Wilde.
Along with a million other books too!

Dreaming. 23-10-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Femme Fatale (Post 2992580)
Just started 'A Picture of Dorian Gray' by Oscar Wilde.

One of my favourites - enjoy!

Recently finished Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin which was weird but a quick little read. Still reading Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - it's good but long and pretty complicated. Also starting to read the Hitchhiker's Guide books as I recently realised I've never actually read them.

Revolving Door 23-10-2011 12:05 PM

I have read:

Dracula By Bram Stocker
Scream Angle By Douglas Smith
More Blood, More Sweat, and Another Cup of Tea By Tom Reynolds

I am currently reading:

Halfway House By Katherine Noel - I am really enjoying this.
and whilst I'm in the bath I am reading In Stitches By (can't remember!)

nowhereman 23-10-2011 10:18 PM

Just started Destined (HOuse of Night) by Pc and Kristin Cast.

Serendipity. 24-10-2011 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revolving Door (Post 2993432)
and whilst I'm in the bath I am reading In Stitches By (can't remember!)

Nick Edwards? Did you enjoy it? Think it was probably one of my least favourite of that type of book.

I'm STILL reading Dracula though not at night because I'm pathetic so it's taking forever! Just finished re-reading all the Harry Potter books and now I'm reading Orlando, but haven't really got into it yet.

The War Doctor 24-10-2011 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starling. (Post 2994225)
I'm STILL reading Dracula though not at night because I'm pathetic so it's taking forever! Just finished re-reading all the Harry Potter books and now I'm reading Orlando, but haven't really got into it yet.

Dracula took me forever to get through (albeit for different reasons, even though I'm usually a fast reader), so don't feel too bad. I assume you're reading Orlando by Virginia Woolf, unless there's another one I'm not familiar with? It does take a while to get into it, but it's well worth it. Excellent book.

nowhereman 24-10-2011 12:59 AM

Dracula took me ages as well and I'm usually a fast reader. My dad said it was probably becase its an old style of writing and dialogue which is harder for people to read whne they're used to modern day writing. or something like that. I got the sequel Dracula Undead in the chairty shop. Haven't started it yet.

Revolving Door 24-10-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starling. (Post 2994225)
Nick Edwards? Did you enjoy it? Think it was probably one of my least favourite of that type of book.

Yes it is Nick Edwards, I'm not that far through it as I didn't take it to France with me but I think it is okay. I think it is going to be better than More Blood, More Sweat, and Another Cup of Tea as I felt it was all just repeating itself. They are no way on par with the junior doctor series (really want to read the 3rd one that's out but waiting for the kindle price to go down!)

Orlando is a hard book to get into, I would have to read it again to understand it but even then you seem to be following then it moves onto new 'character'.