RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The 'I need a distraction' thread. (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243064)

long road 12-08-2023 06:58 PM

It's call pasta Genovese basically a pesto, courgette, pea and pinenut pasta with parmesan cheese and then I had some garlic flatbread on the side. Only managed about half of the pasta as not super hungry and have sore throat but it was first proper meal I have had today due to all the chaos of hospitals and exhaustion. Pesto is a major treat as I can't cook with it due to partners nut allergy.

Is it hot up in Scotland? Maybe he is too tired to play because of heat if so. I am sure he will discover it properly soon and have lots of fun. I agree with Crookshanks that sleeping is good.

What did you have for dinner?

Pi.R^2 12-08-2023 07:06 PM

WHY WOULD YOU RUIN FINE CUISINE WITH PEAS??? I'm glad you got a nice treat though and you can look forward to having the other half another time :)

Also now I'm confused because I was about to recommend the vegan pesto we get because it didn't have pine nuts in but a) still has cashews and b) it has pine nuts in??? I swear it didn't use to!

one_step_closer 12-08-2023 07:16 PM

Some peas are ok.

Glad you had a nice treat.

I had salad for dinner since I had a big lunch.

It's not really that hot here. I think Crookshanks is just getting old.

Pi.R^2 12-08-2023 07:17 PM

NO KIND OF PEAS ARE OK

They are number 2 on my list of things never to eat :plain:

one_step_closer 12-08-2023 07:23 PM

What else is on your list? And what is number one?

I think crunchy peas are good.

Pi.R^2 12-08-2023 07:29 PM

Number 1 is sweetcorn yuck yuck yuck. I lose track of number 3 because I think I sometimes say tomato and sometimes say parsnips.

Pi.R^2 12-08-2023 07:30 PM

I googled crunchy peas and cannot work out if it is a dish or a form of dried peas that one purchases as a snack in a bag? I assume both are awful :P

long road 12-08-2023 07:43 PM

It was a nice treat. And the garlic flatbread was so soft and doughy but with crispy edges *chefs kiss*.

Peas are probably my least favourite of the vegetables I am prepared to eat regularly. But they work pretty well in this the pesto hides some of the intense pea flavour. And I like peas more than when I was younger as a kid I wouldn't eat them at all now I can eat them without gravy or being mixed into things.

And the dish overall is fresh and light.

Sad times they have added more nuts to the pesto, doesn't that mean you can't eat it any more? I know cashews are meant to be a good substitute for creaminess which is probably why they added them.

Peppers are number one do not eat then chilies. But I have a food intolerance to both do eating them makes me ill, even the smell of peppers is just horrible!

I have wanted a proper stick blender for a while if I ever get round to getting one I shall have to make my own nut free pesto. Unless almonds would work. Weirdly partner is ok with almonds.

Zurg 12-08-2023 08:37 PM

Hey, don't diss the peas!!!! They are cute and small and green!!!! That's really adorable and exquisite qualities!!!! And if we have no peas, how can we even tell if a lady that claims to be a princess, is really a princess?????!!!?!!!?

tamobhuuta 12-08-2023 08:45 PM

Petits pois are nice, garden peas are more vegetabley and therefore not as good.

Just got back from the cinema, Barbie amused me :)

long road 12-08-2023 09:11 PM

I am tolerant of peas. Jenna is the hater here!

We would never find out if you were a princes Zurg. Findus would eat the pea before you went to bed!

Glad Barbie was amusing Tamo. My bro says it was good.

tamobhuuta 12-08-2023 09:23 PM

Part of me thinks it was a 2 hour advert for barbies! But it did make me lol, especially Ken.

Pi.R^2 12-08-2023 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by long road (Post 4360533)
Sad times they have added more nuts to the pesto, doesn't that mean you can't eat it any more? I know cashews are meant to be a good substitute for creaminess which is probably why they added them.

My reaction to pine nuts is pretty mild so I'll give it a go before ruling it out. Cashews have always been fine for me which is nice; I use them in my macaroni 'cheese'.

long road 12-08-2023 09:52 PM

I mean the transformer cartoons were an advert for the toys they were still fun!

Laughter is good.

I am going to attempt to ge an early-ish night in a few minutes, just done meds, letting them settle then teeth and trying to get cosy in bed. It will be a shame to leave the sofa but I'd rather sleep in bed if I can!

Pi.R^2 12-08-2023 09:53 PM

Ooh, I think I made a pesto with no nuts at all. Want a recipe jpg?

Pi.R^2 12-08-2023 09:53 PM

Oh, apparently it had sunflower seeds or almonds but that still could work for you!

long road 12-08-2023 09:54 PM

Ninja Jenna. Hope pesto remains safe.

Beckie this is me leaving a note for when you get home from your shift, hope it went well, I expect I will see you in the morning!

long road 12-08-2023 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 (Post 4360550)
Ooh, I think I made a pesto with no nuts at all. Want a recipe jpg?

Ooh yes please. I think that would be safe

maii 12-08-2023 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 (Post 4360551)
Oh, apparently it had sunflower seeds or almonds but that still could work for you!

I can't eat any seeds due to Diverticulitis.

maii 12-08-2023 11:09 PM

For same reason I can tolerate pesto in soup.

maii 12-08-2023 11:09 PM

Hi Everyone :)

Cacoethes 13-08-2023 12:32 AM

Hi guys!

Thank you Jen, for leaving a lovely note for the end of my shift! Got home about 10 mins ago. Was actually really dead which is very strange!

Hope everyone is getting some good sleep and see you all in the morning!

EyelinerAndCigarettes 13-08-2023 05:36 AM

Morning!

I haven't been in this thread in forever?!

How is everyone? I have been awake far too long already!

long road 13-08-2023 07:35 AM

Morning!

Nice to 'meet' you Eyeliner and Cigarettes, I'm Jen.

Glad you liked my note Beckie :)

I got to spend the whole night in my own bed no hospital trips :D Got 7ish hours and I only woke up once cos of my asthma. Super happy about this.

Cacoethes 13-08-2023 07:42 AM

Morning!
Don't know if you use your full name here so I'll just say H!
Nice to see you in here!
How are you?

Morning jen!
I'm so happy to hear you had a better night!
Own bed is ALWAYS 100 x better than hospital bed!

long road 13-08-2023 07:50 AM

Own bed 1000% better than the couch bed thing in minors. Actual hospital beds are kind of comfy but obviously the being in hospital bit is a downer XD

Just about to drag myself out of bed for breakfast and morning meds. Have to take steroids with food.

How are you this morning? Hope you slept a bit better. Is today a chill day or do you have plans?

Cacoethes 13-08-2023 08:33 AM

Yeah, the proper ones aren't too bad!

What are your breakfast plans?

I'm ok thanks. I got 3 hours broken sleep XD
It is a chill day though, in that i don't have anything time sensitive on.
So put washing away, change bedding, clean out boys and do their washing, clean house, run, shower. I think that's it for today! Should probably really focus on learning taekwondo theory too!

long road 13-08-2023 08:46 AM

I had tinned peaches and Greek yoghurt. Now having a cup of tea.

3 hours! Eek that's bad even for you!
Glad today is a relatively chill day. Just go with the vibes.

Cacoethes 13-08-2023 08:53 AM

Ooh that sounds nice!

I know!
Yeah. Nearly impulsively volunteered for a shift today, very glad i didn't!
Working tomorrow anyway.

long road 13-08-2023 09:02 AM

I have been really into different fruits with Greek yoghurt lately. Other times I add banana, strawberries, frozen raspberries or frozen blueberries.

Glad you didn't decide to work! I remember how annoying you sometimes find Sunday shifts, so many roasts and very hectic.
You working your usual midday unitl 6pm shift tomorrow?

I am sitting propped up on my sofa trying to decide what to watch on TV/laptop. I was meant to be going to a Christening today but decided yesterday going is not worth risking my health and even though I feel better today I am clearly not well enough to leave house. I was even meant to be Godmother, bless the parents of the child get christened they have found a stand in but said I will always be kids godmother to him and them.

Cacoethes 13-08-2023 09:06 AM

I like fruit with greek yogurt and honey!

Yeah, sundays are the absolute worst shift! Everyone hates them.
And i have told Everyone to NEVER let me do all day sunday again!
It's until 5pm. They've changed it around so most people start or finish at 5. Idk why!
Annoyingly, means i lose an hour of pay :plain:
But then we also all complain that we want to go home for the entire shift and hope for people to come in at 5 XD

I'm glad you didn't force yourself to go, though i know it must be disappointing!
Your health comes first!

long road 13-08-2023 09:11 AM

Looks like we are both being sensible today. How totally normal of us... XD

Sucks to lose an hour of pay but at least shorter shifts go quicker!

There are some health things I will ignore and just plough through even though I shouldn't. But you can't mess about with asthma. And having an attack at Christening would be worse than not going!

Cacoethes 13-08-2023 09:16 AM

Yes, it is very strange! I'm sure normal (or abnormal) service will resume soon XD

They do!

At least you're being mostly sensible!
I can't really talk as i plough through things too! :tongue2:

long road 13-08-2023 09:26 AM

Abnormal service sounds like a band name XD

I am well aware of your habit of ploughing through things :tongue2: even when it really isn't sensible...

Decided to watch you tube for now. Watching a travel vlog of people driving a vintage RV through death valley.

Cacoethes 13-08-2023 09:47 AM

Would be a cool band name XD

Indeed! Think i would have learned by now. Apparently not!

Ohh interesting!

tamobhuuta 13-08-2023 10:14 AM

Morning everyone.

Well done to LR and Cacoethes for making healthy choices.

Hi Eyeliner!

Cacoethes 13-08-2023 10:15 AM

Morning tamo!

Thank you!

How are you?
Any plans for today?

tamobhuuta 13-08-2023 10:23 AM

I'm planning to go to the Italian Mass this evening. How are you getting on with your house stuff?

Cacoethes 13-08-2023 10:28 AM

Hope you enjoy it!

I have done literally nothing apart from wash my uniform and dobok. Which i had to do separately because my dobok is white. I only had them on a quick wash though.
I'm gonna start cleaning in 13 mins, when this episode finishes XD

long road 13-08-2023 10:30 AM

Thanks Tamo!

Italian mass sounds cool. I speak some Italian (did it for GCSE). Do you understand the mass or just know what's going on as it's similar to English mass? I went to a full sung Latin mass in Oxford once with my Grandad and my Step Grandmother who is Catholic. Very atmospheric!

one_step_closer 13-08-2023 11:17 AM

Hi everyone, lots of chat.

I'm glad people are being sensible today!

I changed my bedding and found I was sharing my bed with a huge dead alien for goodness knows how long. It freaked me out. Beckie will tell you how freaky it is as I posted on Fb. Went to Tesco then came home and washed my hair and hoovered. Just need to clean Crookshanks stuff later on.

tamobhuuta 13-08-2023 11:32 AM

I'm learning more and more. But yes, knowing the Mass in English helps! I have no conversational Italian. Did you get all the smoke and bells and chanting at the Latin Mass or was it quite plain?

Cacoethes 13-08-2023 11:33 AM

I learned Italian for a bit in my Catholic primary school.
Only remember a few bits!

It was indeed very freaky! Would not have been happy about that!

I've done the boys and their stuff is in the wash. And cleaned the kitchen and living room. Just upstairs to do now.

long road 13-08-2023 11:51 AM

Eek todead alien insect thing in your bed Lindsay! What a good thing you found it changing the bedding rather than while in bed!

Cool to learn Italian sort of by immersion Tamo. Do you think you would like to pick up any conversational Italian?

Yes smoke and bells and chanting the whole shebang. Although we sat fairly far back as we didn't know if the incense smoke would trigger my asthma. Thankfully it did not. It was very different to my Methodist upbringing but cool to experience.

Remember to pace yourself Beckie. But we'll down for cleaning achieved so far. Are the boys happy in their clean enclosure?

I have made a nest in the sofa. Have cushions behind me and either side, my cosy yellow blanket, cuddy toy duck and Lion. Partner is keeping me topped up with drinks.

tamobhuuta 13-08-2023 11:59 AM

There are so many languages I want to learn! But Italian is on the list.

Sofa nests are cool. How are you entertaining yourself?

For everyone doing jobs, be sure to take tea breaks!

Zurg 13-08-2023 12:18 PM

Hi alle :) *waves*

I had legit big plans of things that i should get done today but alas, i woke up at around 8 am (due to a certain bunny wanting me to get up so he decided to dig at my pillow…) and after being up a while and having coffee and breakfast, i Got tired again. So took a nap. With a spunky and naughty bunny trying to sabotage the entire flat meanwhile. And now that i am up and dressed, who has gone to bed???!!?!! Evil is tiny and furry today!!!!

I am not doing anything despite my plans. I had several hysteric ragefits yesterday because i had been doing more than i was capable of.
Hoorray for lazy days!!! :D

tamobhuuta 13-08-2023 12:26 PM

Hi Zurg. Lazy day for me too :)

Cacoethes 13-08-2023 12:47 PM

I am finished! I feel better now. Such a relief to get that done! The mess has been bothering me for so long! But i can't just clean one bit that's messy, it has to be a full clean. So it has to be on a day like this when i have no appointments/work/miscellaneous plans.
The boys are very happy! Lots of popcorning from Merry! Pippin is not a popcorner, but some happy burying in hay from him!

Sofa nests are great!

Sounds like a lazy day is needed zurg! These little furries do test us sometimes!

long road 13-08-2023 01:05 PM

What other languages are on your list Tamo? Languages are fun but not something I am super good at. Although it probably wasnt helpful that for the first three years of high school I had to study both Italian and French which are frustratingly similar. Just Italian for year 10 and 11 was much easier than having two to muddle up.

My brother speaks English obviously but is also fluent in German both spoken and written, speaks a little bit of French and is learning Ukrainian. He doe alive in Europe though and is married to a Ukrainian so gets to practise a fair bit. He got the language brains out of the two of us!

Sofa nest is awesome. Currently entertaining myself with shanty and folk music on you tube and general internetting. Been messaging a few friends, reading some serial web fiction. Might watch some TV or a movie in a bit.

I did fold some clothes from the clean washing basket so they could be put away but I got tired before I finished and had to stop and have some inhaler and rest more.

*Waves at Zurg* Lazy / rest day for me three. Naughty Findus! Hope his cuteness while snoozing makes up for it.

Glad your chores are all done Beckie. I get what you mean about wanting to get it all done in one go. Only reason I can stop easier now is I break cleaning a room into smaller tasks to manage fatigue. But even then I struggle to stop until that task is done. Trying to remain sensible and not finish folding clothes though, asmy lungs are still grumpy, and even small tasks are apparently too much.

Yay for happy Guinea pigs. All they need now is a bridge XD

Cacoethes 13-08-2023 01:19 PM

I know some Spanish. Nearly a year duolingo streak!
Getting better at it.

Sounds like a good way to spend a day jen!
I like folk music. Never thought i would until my dad took me to the Cambridge folk festival a couple of times. Absolutely loved it! Great music and such a chill vibe.

I'm glad you managed to stop and rest!
I should really take my own advice tbh

Oh god! That song lives rent free in my head XD