RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

Kittyenna 25-10-2012 05:30 PM

The Christmas Hope and The Christmas Blessing, amazing <3

nowhereman 26-10-2012 09:49 PM

Now I'm reading For Charlie by Denise Deegan.

Dreaming. 27-10-2012 07:29 AM

Cross between Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie (as I decided I should read some Rushdie at some point) and The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes.

Really rnjoyinh both; you understand why they have such acclaim when you read then, but in very different ways.

Petrichor 27-10-2012 04:19 PM

Goddess of Spring by P.C. Cast. A retelling of the Persephone myth, which is just about my favourite myth ever.

Also re-reading Harry Potter and The Order Of The Phoenix for the hundred-and-somethingth time.

sunshine100 27-10-2012 09:39 PM

Room by Emma Donaghue...we'll see how sensible a decision that was soon!

Kittyenna 28-10-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshine100 (Post 3401951)
Room by Emma Donaghue...we'll see how sensible a decision that was soon!

I've always been too scared to read it, let me know how you find it :)

---------------

Enna Burning - Shannon Hale, one of my all time favourites <3

Crunkberry 28-10-2012 11:12 PM

About 9 million different ones, I'm indulging my graphic novel fairy and my love of WWII history

nowhereman 29-10-2012 02:14 AM

Alex, the Life of a Child.

melissafaith 30-10-2012 02:36 AM

The Fifty Year Sword by Mark Z Daneielewski - Just started it, but I'm really enjoying it. I love House of Leaves, so I'm fairly confident that I will love this one as well.

Buttons. 30-10-2012 05:48 PM

Just read 100 names by Cecilia Ahern, was really good, funny and heart warming although a little predictable.

charcoal feathers 30-10-2012 08:14 PM

The Girl You Left Behind - JoJo Moyes

nowhereman 30-10-2012 10:07 PM

About to start Beautiful Redemption the 4th and final book from the Beautiful Creatures series.

Geisterfahrer 31-10-2012 12:01 AM

Just started with Stephen King's The girl who loved Tom Gordon.

So far so good. Never read anything his before. :-)

MrsNutkin 01-11-2012 10:19 AM

Flourishing by Maureen Gaffney - it's non fiction

Rafiki 01-11-2012 09:30 PM

I'm re-reading A Series Of Unfortunate Events by Daniel Handler (Lemony Snicket).

rubik's cube 01-11-2012 09:32 PM

just finished reading january first.

now. i don't understand why, but if it wasn't for sleep, i'd have probably finished this in one session. this may not seem major, but i can't remember the last time i finished (or even almost finished) a book in one session.

it's not that i particularly enjoyed it. or maybe it's just been so long since i actually enjoyed a book i don't recognize it. it didn't put a smile on my face, anyway, but i don't think it's the type of book you should be smiling about.

one thing that bugged me was the fact the author's son could someday read this, and the author makes it pretty clear, imo, that he favors his daughter over his son. he basically says that because he can't find someone on his daughter's level, he'd create someone on her level - and there you have the reason behind the son. and it just disturbed me.

don't get me wrong. i have so much respect for this family, in the same way i have a stubborn sort of respect for my family for dealing with me. and i understood he loved his daughter, but his son's life was at risk. i think that's the time you need to sit back and think, "right. something needs to be done."

idk. it's not my position to judge.

but i would really like to read another book like it, if anyone has any suggestions. it was really interesting to read from the parent's pov.

and i'm now reading get me out of here. i'm too early on to give an opinion on it, but her husband's a sweetheart. and i get a weird vibe from dr padgett.

okay. i'll finish rambling now. xD

EndOfDaze 03-11-2012 06:47 PM

Currently reading "Crying in the dark" by Shane Dunphy :)

one_step_closer 03-11-2012 07:22 PM

Crying for Help - Casey Watson.

When I was in hospital I read:

Ultraviolet - R. J. Anderson
Ghost Boy - Martin Pistorius
Another Forgotten Child - Cathy Glass
Second Hand Heart - Catherine Ryan Hyde
Still Alice - Lisa Genova
First Person Plural - Cameron West
One Breath Away - Heather Gudenkauf
Tales From the GP's Surgery - Rosemary Leonard
Confessions of a Male Nurse - Michael Alexander
Little Prisoners - Casey Watson.

one_step_closer 03-11-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EndOfDaze (Post 3407913)
Currently reading "Crying in the dark" by Shane Dunphy :)

I can't remember what that book was about but I really like Shane Dunphy's books.

EndOfDaze 03-11-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_step_closer (Post 3407945)
I can't remember what that book was about but I really like Shane Dunphy's books.

This one is where we first learn about Larry and Francey, and Mina :). This is only the second book of his that I've read (well, I'm reading this one now!), so I'm trying to get his others!