RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

makedamnsure 13-07-2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

I was going through some of our old stuff, sorting things for a yard sale, and in a box of books I found my copy of Watership Down. I'm currently re-reading it, for nostalgia value. :P
Oh I love watership down. May have to go dig out my copy!

I would love to read Anna Karenina as well but think it might have to wait til I can concentrate fully.

Just finished The Girl at the Lion D'Or. It was ok. I didn't think it was brilliant whilst I was reading it but it stayed with me afterwards and gave me a lot to think about so I guess it was better than I thought.

At the moment I am reading Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer. My nan lent it to me and I was dubious because I don't know much about Jeffrey Archer but I couldn't imagine him being a good writer but its actually reasonably good.

misskitty112 13-07-2010 04:18 PM

Just read:
The Mummy by Anne Rice
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Now reading:
Doubting Castle by Rebecca Kavaler (it's really good)

misskitty112 13-07-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teaghanbea (Post 2375304)
I'm currently reading some classics. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and if anyone tells me I'm reading this because of twilight I will shoot them >.<
I'm reading Pride & Prejudice next and then Junkie.

God, I love Wuthering Heights and Pride & Prejudice!

nevermind 13-07-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifteen Dollar Eagle (Post 2399265)
A Version of Reason is definitely worth a read for any Manics fan. I read it myself a while back and loved it.

Yeah it's great so far,a lot I didn't know about em.I reccomend it to anyone who wants a book on s/h or e/d.

The War Doctor 14-07-2010 11:32 AM

I just finished Inferno by Dante Alighieri (translated by H.F. Cary). It's as brilliant as it is disturbing.

I'm going to start Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov when I've woken up a bit.

A_Stealthy_Badger 14-07-2010 11:34 AM

I started reading Anna Karenina recently. Don't know why I put it on the back burner, I was enjoying it. From what I read, it's more accesible than you might imagine.

Pride and Prejudice - the thing that most people miss about this book is that it's actually meant to be a comedy. I have yet to see an adaptation that recognises this, and a lot of people who read it miss the point completely.

I'm between books at the moment, at a loss as to what to read.

ferretmonster 14-07-2010 11:49 AM

my script atm very slowly :/

A_Stealthy_Badger 14-07-2010 02:28 PM

Ooh tell me more ferretmonster, what are you writing?

ferretmonster 14-07-2010 04:24 PM

ohh hell no, im not writing one! its a script for a play im in for the local am drams

blimey im not that clever!

misskitty112 14-07-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Stealthy_Badger (Post 2401209)
I started reading Anna Karenina recently. Don't know why I put it on the back burner, I was enjoying it. From what I read, it's more accesible than you might imagine.

Pride and Prejudice - the thing that most people miss about this book is that it's actually meant to be a comedy. I have yet to see an adaptation that recognises this, and a lot of people who read it miss the point completely.

I'm between books at the moment, at a loss as to what to read.

I wrote a paper on how Pride and Prejudice can be viewed as a comedy.

Anywhoo, finishing up Doubting Castle, starting A Million Little Pieces by James Frey, and excitedly awaiting the delivery of The Revenger's Tragedy by Thomas Middleton to my house (since all the bookstores anywhere close to me have went out of business and I get most of my books from the library's monthly sale, amazon, and borders marketplace...)

lungs locked lips locked 14-07-2010 04:50 PM

I'm currently reading a book called "Kiss Me, Judas".
It's such an amazingly descriptive novel. Fantastic if you're a fan of the macabre, noir and disturbingly descriptive and clever writing.

Good for fans of Chuck Palaniuk or Irvine Welsh I'd say, lots of sex, drugs and violance written in a very dark but beautiful way.

Nannook 14-07-2010 04:56 PM

Just finished reading, Go Ask Alice by Anonymous.

EndOfDaze 14-07-2010 06:21 PM

Just this minute finished "American Psycho". All I have to say is that it's a DAMN weird book! I mean, my god some of it is quite hard to follow!

Tomorrow I'll start reading "Secret Smile" by Nicci French.

makedamnsure 14-07-2010 07:26 PM

American Psycho seriously disturbed me!
I have banned my brother from ever reading it!
That is one sick book.

Never really read Pride and Prejudice, I tried reading Emma once but didn't get far. Jane Eyre is the nearest I get to that genre.

The War Doctor 14-07-2010 07:42 PM

I never got very far reading Emma either. I got about 30 pages in and gave up because it literally bored me to sleep.

taz35 14-07-2010 08:53 PM

Wake - Lisa McMann

Epic book.

Spoons 14-07-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lungs locked lips locked (Post 2401506)
I'm currently reading a book called "Kiss Me, Judas".
It's such an amazingly descriptive novel. Fantastic if you're a fan of the macabre, noir and disturbingly descriptive and clever writing.

Good for fans of Chuck Palaniuk or Irvine Welsh I'd say, lots of sex, drugs and violance written in a very dark but beautiful way.

I've read this, it is very good, the ending i didnt like so much, but overall i really liked it.

there are three in the Phineas Poe collection aren't there?

Spoons 16-07-2010 06:15 PM

Now reading Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk

Mademoiselle Lola. 16-07-2010 07:32 PM

Ohh I've read Diary by Chuck Palahniuk.I liked it though I don't remember much of it except some very gross scenes.I wanted to buy 'Fight club' because I've seen the movie but I chose a book by Elfriede Jelinek instead.They're both difficult to read.

I've just finished Christine by Stephen King and now I'm starting Cell.I loved Christine though it freaked me out.

misskitty112 16-07-2010 08:37 PM

Cell freaked me out! good book though.