RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

Kiss Me Furfrog 05-11-2010 05:55 PM

Mein Kampf - Adolf Hitler.
I've read it twice before, but it needs another reading to fully take it in and understand.

Marie Musique 05-11-2010 10:41 PM

Don Quixote, Son of a Witch (Gregory Maguire,) and A Thousand Splendid Suns (Khaled Hosseini.) Don Quixote is for school, though, so I'm primarily focusing on that one.

consequential 05-11-2010 11:40 PM

Yeah i took an easy choice this time but well enjoyed :The truth by peter James .He always delivers

Queen Crabbit 05-11-2010 11:44 PM

Just finished. Absolutetly amazing.

& before that I read

one_step_closer 06-11-2010 08:58 PM

In Stitches: The Highs and Lows of Life as an A&E Doctor - Nick Edwards.

nowhereman 07-11-2010 11:15 PM

Just finished Witch Child by Celia Rees, now reading the sequel Sorceress.

The War Doctor 08-11-2010 06:32 AM

Just finished The Waves by Virginia Woolf. I read the last 30 pages or so in one sitting. In any other book, this would be easy enough. But this, being one of the great modernist novels, is one challenging bloody book. If Ulysses is challenging on an intellectual level, then The Waves is difficult on a sensory level (almost to the point of bringing the reader to a state of sensory overload). The sheer never-ending onslaught of images and sounds and even tastes and smells is staggering, and by the time I finished I was begging for mercy.

And I f*cking loved it.

Now I'm going to read something easy. A Discworld book maybe.

consequential 11-11-2010 11:55 PM

I bought David Mitchells new book today ,The Thousand Autumns of jacob de Zoet .

akita 12-11-2010 12:48 AM

I've only read 7 chapters and it's quite good so far.

one_step_closer 13-11-2010 08:47 PM

Diary of an On Call Girl - WPC E. E. Bloggs.

5thmovement 15-11-2010 10:01 AM

I'm reading "The Forest of Hands and Teeth" by Carrie Ryan which is apparently about zombies (did not know when picking up). I'm only about half way done but I already love love love it. Its been awhile since I've read a great book, all the books I've seem to pick up turn out way to Twilighty (no offense to fans, but I hates it) but this book reminded me why I like reading.

Last book I read was "Halo" by Alexandra Adornetto and it sadly went pretty Twilight with Angels but I still recommend it. It was beautifully written so it gets points. Though my opinion my be biased with that cause I love Angels and the fact that the writer knew her Heaven Hierarchy made me extremely happy. What can I say, Angels are my vampires.

Coffeemate 17-11-2010 07:28 PM

I just finished three related books by the same woman, Jennifer Worth; Call the Midwife, The Workhouse and Goodbye to the East End.

Fabulous pieces of social history and very moving. I read it and part of me struggles to believe this was only 50, 60, 70 years ago.

Pretty.Reckless 18-11-2010 12:15 AM

The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse....my friend suggested it....not that far into it but seems good, pretty funny.

Hobbes 18-11-2010 04:32 PM

Atomised - Michel Houellebecq

RadioActiveCheezPuff 19-11-2010 12:33 AM

The Year It Rained - Crescent Dragonwagon
An amazing book! :)

KeepLosingMyWay* 20-11-2010 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffeemate (Post 2569409)
I just finished three related books by the same woman, Jennifer Worth; Call the Midwife, The Workhouse and Goodbye to the East End.

Fabulous pieces of social history and very moving. I read it and part of me struggles to believe this was only 50, 60, 70 years ago.

I love thesetoo! I think 'Call the Midwife' was my fave. The first two chapters of 'The Workhouse' moved me to tears.

At the moment i'm reading 'The Other Family' by Joanna Trollope, nearly at the end.

The War Doctor 22-11-2010 12:59 AM

Last read: The Long Walk by Stephen King (writing as "Richard Bachman"). It was pretty much an affirmation of why I love King's work, and it made my legs ache just reading it.

Currently reading: Roadwork by Stephen King (again, as Richard Bachman). I haven't read enough of it to get a good idea of it.

Also reading: 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade. I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to sex, but Sade goes too far. In every direction, all at once. But I'm loving it anyway. It's a self-imposed challenge; can I read it without getting sick?

consequential 22-11-2010 02:35 AM

I really want to read that Marquis de Sade book ,id say its very disturbing though

The War Doctor 22-11-2010 02:47 AM

It really is... in Sade's mind, nothing is taboo (sadism is named after him for a reason). Every kind of sexual deviance and sex crime you can possibly imagine is described in explicit (and loving) detail. It's well worth reading though, if only to test the strength of your stomach. Just don't read it in public; people might get the wrong idea about you.

consequential 22-11-2010 03:23 AM

Yeah I could imagine.S and M aint my cup of tea but it is a book I will read at some point.I also want to read Alister Crowleys books ,not something that I will be showing off down the local cafe either.I like Sades ideas of like physical tortue and the bounderies of the human mind in relation to it .It was explored in Coelhos 'Eleven minutes ' and it was very intersting ,bearing in mind a much milder exploration.