RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

pixiedust_11 29-11-2012 09:11 AM

Currently reading Deception Point by Dan Brown :)

Revolving Door 29-11-2012 10:43 PM

Just finished Perfect Picture By Jodi Picoult - first Jodi Picoult book, not too impressed

Now half way through Send By Patty Blount, enjoying this, reading it and remembering that it is aimed at younger readers. Bullying in this era. No longer as obvious as it once was. The era of cyber bullying.

one_step_closer 01-12-2012 04:57 PM

I'm just starting Picture Perfect - Jodi Picoult. I think I tried to read it before but couldn't get into it.

Revolving Door 02-12-2012 07:33 PM

^looking at a lot of people's reviews online, it seems to be one of her less liked of books.

nowhereman 06-12-2012 01:28 AM

Reached by Ally Condie (Matched trilogy)

cweed 06-12-2012 02:12 AM

Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Again. This is probably my tenth time, but it's one of those really good books where when you finish it, you close it, let it sink in for a few minutes...then turn it over and start again from the start!

The frame story is OK, but once you get into the real meat of the book, it's wonderful. I particularly like that at no point do they have some convenient skill just develop (eg. hero picks up a sword for the first time, hero becomes SUPER MEGA BADASS swordsman). In fact, the book is mainly about how the protagonist becomes a badass...and the author is willing to let him suffer at times in the process!

Really well developed world, great character development, fun characters overall!

Rafiki 06-12-2012 02:02 PM

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick. Absolutely beautiful.

Clowning 06-12-2012 03:07 PM

"Ulysses" by James Joyce

WishIFeltBetter 09-12-2012 05:30 AM

Myth-Quoted, by Jody Lynn Nye. Very good book about politics, without it being about real world politics.

one_step_closer 09-12-2012 06:04 PM

Hurting Too Much - Harry Keeble and Kris Hollington.

one_step_closer 11-12-2012 05:23 PM

When I Found You - Catherine Ryan Hyde.

Tig 11-12-2012 07:32 PM

The Light Behind the Window by Lucinda Riley.

Hobbes 11-12-2012 08:33 PM

A Tiny Bit Marvellous - Dawn French.
Read it before, just abit of light reading to pass the time really. Decent book.

The War Doctor 12-12-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clowning (Post 3439026)
"Ulysses" by James Joyce

How are you finding it? It's one of my favourite books of all time. It totally melted my brain though, and I doubt I've completely recovered from that, even years after reading it. :P

Speaking of James Joyce, I finished reading A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man this morning. Odd little book, dragged at times, but it was an interesting read and I enjoyed it. I imagine it has changed how I view his other books, though I'll have to re-read Dubliners and Ulysses at some point to know how much.

Currently reading various texts about Heraclitus and Parmenides, and a nice little textbook called The Course of Irish History by various authors. I'm hoping to get started on Animal Farm by George Orwell sometime today.

nowhereman 12-12-2012 11:44 AM

About to start Nightmare on Elm Street by Jeffrey cooper.

The War Doctor 13-12-2012 11:49 AM

I finished Animal Farm this morning, I love that book more and more every time I read it because I always find something new.

I won't be reading any novels for a little while, for now I'm going to focus on doing my reading for college. I'm reading a lot of stuff about early Greek philosophy at the moment, and a little bit of Irish history and psychology.

Unbreakable. 13-12-2012 04:28 PM

Critical Theory Today - A user-friendly guide by Lois Tyson.
I bet everyone is jealous now. :P

offlineforever 13-12-2012 04:46 PM

Very Jealous Lana!

At the moment I am reading three books at once for uni;

Witch'Fire by James Clemens
Tales from Earthsea by Ursual le guin
The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano by Olaudah Equiano

Unbreakable. 13-12-2012 04:51 PM

The book actually *is* user-friendly. I just fail at getting the idea behind reader-response criticism.

Foxtrot Oscar 13-12-2012 07:18 PM

I am just about to start 'A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens, because I've never read it. Then I'm going to borrow the DVD of the Muppet version from my brother and watch it!