RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

beautiful&dying 12-09-2007 02:04 PM

I'm just starting I'm not Scared by Niccolo Ammaniti, it's good so far. Apparently it's been made into a film too, has anyone seen it?
xxxxx

Yume.No.Chikara 12-09-2007 02:34 PM

Just finished an interpretation of murder by Jed Rubenfield which i would really really reccoment!
Now just got a few pages left of The Reaper Man by Terry Pratchet - pure genious...i love it!
and then it will be on to Poor Story...can't remember who thats by but its about Africa...what i've read so far is good!

Behind the Smile 16-09-2007 04:08 PM

not that anyone cares but...
45 days until the 7th Alex Rider book comes out, Snakehead
I might re-read the rest of the series just for the sake of it.
eee! :)

Disarm 16-09-2007 06:10 PM

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. 'Tis good so far. XD

Spoons 17-09-2007 09:01 PM

just read- Fight Club- Chuck Palahniuk

now reading- Kafka on the shore- Haruki Murakami

beautiful&dying 19-09-2007 03:48 PM

Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks by Chris Brookmyre. It debunks people who believe they can talk to the dead. I'm hooked! More yeys for crime fiction!
xxxxx

Jayne. 19-09-2007 06:26 PM

I've just read Alicia: My Story.
It was written amazingly and although the story was real, it was
so exciting and heartbreaking that you'd have thought it were
fiction.

Now Im reading I Have Lived A Thousand Years. Good so far.

xxx

Disarm 20-09-2007 08:20 AM

Sylvia Plath - The Bell Jar

Devil Girl 20-09-2007 10:43 PM

I loved The Bell Jar I used it for my personal study for higher English when I was in 5th year!

I finished Thin By Grace Bowman, I enjoyed it but felt it wasn't as gritty as other eatting disorder books, but I liked the style of her writing, was very fresh and crisp.

Now I am reading Teach Yourself Applied Psychology I can't remember whom it is by right now! Just reading it for a bit of fun, but I am just about to start uni to do psychology, so it might be of some help with my course....though I doubt it! Nice to have a bit of back ground knowledge though!

Still have Eldest sitting there but doubt I will get it read....not until I go into a wee phase where I really want to read a fantasy book!!!

Yume.No.Chikara 21-09-2007 04:28 PM

Just fisinshed But inside i'm screeming by...can't remember possibly someone loch! I enjoyed it I have no idea how accurate it is but I liked Isobel - possible because a lot of the stuff she said is what i think but in a way that makes sence!

Devil Girl 21-09-2007 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintingflowerswhite (Post 282167)

Thats how felt with Thin. I think Marya Hornbacher's wasted gives a better portrayal and writes it in such a unique way.
I will admit, im a little dissappointed with it, perhaps why its taking me twice as long to read Thin.

Yes wasted was a lot better I think, Mainly because it showed what an eating disorder could put you through, but I guess a lot of people will agree with the story in Thin, never been admitted etc. but I felt bits were missing from her time in collage where she was trying to eat 'normally' etc. Her recovery wasn't very clear I felt. But it was her story which is all that really matters I guess. Nice writer though, I like the stle even if the plot is not as intense as other books.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yume.No.Chikara (Post 282704)
Just fisinshed But inside i'm screeming by...can't remember possibly someone loch! I enjoyed it I have no idea how accurate it is but I liked Isobel - possible because a lot of the stuff she said is what i think but in a way that makes sence!

I have read this book, as not overly keen on it, but maybe that is because I expected more as it got lots of good reviews.

Devil x

~ Mandy ~ 22-09-2007 09:17 PM

Life Isn't All Ha Ha Hee Hee by Meera Syal.

CherryBlossom 22-09-2007 09:37 PM

I'm going to start reading Northern light by Philip pullman tonight.

Lil'MissLaLa 22-09-2007 10:59 PM

reading wasted-marya hornbacher again! great book. I read thin a while back and i didnt like it much just generally coz i felt tht sheseemed to recover 'just like tht' if u no wat i mean.
I have other books on the go too - get me out of here (about bpd) and various others

Tig 23-09-2007 11:25 AM

'Mercy' by Jodi Picoult

Disarm 23-09-2007 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintingflowerswhite (Post 281390)
ooh im reading that one too! well erm started it last year not finished. Sorry i have too many books on the go.

Have you got into it well?

I'm about half-way through it, and enjoying it so far. I guess 'enjoying' would be the wrong word to describe it, but I just loved her style of writing.

nowhereman 24-09-2007 07:13 PM

Just finished Before I Die by Jenny Downham I think and Jinx by Meg Cabot. Next I'm gonna read Avalon High by Meg Cabot.

beautiful&dying 26-09-2007 12:37 PM

Today I finished my Chris Brookmyre, it was amazing and I recommend people try him out (look in the crime section at your local library and book shop) and I started another Aggie Christie, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. It's good so far but isn't all her stuff?!
xxxxx

HopeRises 26-09-2007 04:37 PM

Finally finished 'Thin' last night, I actually prefered it to wasted.. tbh I thought wasted was pretty rubbish. I think it was quiet a good book, if your not really a mature reader and I saw myself so much in it.

Now starting atonment wohoo.

beautiful&dying 03-10-2007 05:01 PM

i'm just about to start Lolita. I've read it twice before but I need to review it for a website so I've got to get it read. Anyone else have any thoughts?
xxxxx

Puppet Strings 03-10-2007 09:41 PM

Purely down to the fact that you guys all go on about it, and that my uncle happened to have a copy in a box of books he's storing here, I am currently reading The Bell Jar. :P
It's not really what I was expecting, to be honest, and although I am almost half-way through I still don't know what I think of it! Haha. There are certain sentences, and paragraphs, which I really like, but the book as a whole... I'm undecided. x

nowhereman 04-10-2007 07:16 PM

Just finished reading Out of the Dark by Linda Caine, it was so good (and includes self harm), now I'm reading Sweet by Julie Burchill, the sequel to Sugar Rush (which the tv series was based on).

Goodbyetoyou 04-10-2007 10:11 PM

I've just read The Picture od Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. It was a little dry in places, but otherwise beautiful.
And to Shadow Z, I read Clockwork Orange recently too. Amazing. x x

seraphima86 06-10-2007 06:42 AM

I'm currentely reading 'Animal Farm' by George Orwell. Its not bad.
I just finished 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time', which is written from the P.O.V of a 15 year old boy with Austism. Fantastic read, very insightful.

nowhereman 06-10-2007 10:12 PM

Reading Eating Disorders:The Path to Recovery by Dr.Kate Middleton and Starring Tracey Beaker by Jacqueline Wilson.

whispers 09-10-2007 12:34 AM

'To the Lighthouse' by Virginia Woolf. Good so far :)
and 'T.S. Eliot - a Study in Character and Style' by Ronald Bush. Which is kindof for my English Dissertation, but is fun anyway.
'The Great Transformation' by Karen Armstrong and selected other books about religion and such, when I have time.

I can never stick to just one book, haha.

Ileana 09-10-2007 01:49 PM

I just read "Running with scissors" "Magical thinking" and "Go ask ogre" I loved all three. I ma now reading "Glamorama" which I am aklso enjoying.

nowhereman 09-10-2007 10:51 PM

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters.

Guest Visitor 10-10-2007 02:06 PM

Just read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley for the second time.

destroy-!!!-infinity 10-10-2007 09:38 PM

just read harry potter books 2 through 7 over the past 3 weeks. i read the first one years ago before the first movie. then i just lost track of them. it's been a crazy few weeks. potter dreams.

also i just read MAKE LOVE: THE BRUCE CAMPBELL WAY by BRUCE CAMPBELL.

and

BODIES IN MOTION, BODIES AT REST by THOMAS LYNCH.

my tv broke. i've been reading a lot.

Happyhead 11-10-2007 10:44 PM

Been reading 'the brothers karamazov' by Fyoder Dostoyevsky for about 400 years now, i swear its taken me an insane amount of time to read, about half a year or something, im not sure why, its like trying to read glue, takes soooo long, kinda enjoying it though, but my pile of books to read just grows and grows and grows while i try and dig thrugh it

Devia_Angelus87 11-10-2007 10:57 PM

Stephen King - The Drawing of the Three

This is the second part in the Dark Tower series following Roland the Gunslinger on his eternal search for the Dark Tower....and what waits beyond

An amazing book and overall series following the story of Roland and his An Tet....drawing from previous books such as "Salems Lot" "Insomnia" and "IT"

As always an amazing writer, King outdoes himself in this spellbounding series of gun slinging, robots, mutants and of course, The Dark Tower

Heavily recommended to those King fans and those who are general fans of Fantasy writings.

Inextricably woven to fit into each of his works seperately....to produce a series that leaves you gagging for more....

Highly recommended

nowhereman 13-10-2007 11:07 PM

Just finished Appetite for Life, Inspiring stories of recovery from anorexia, bulimia and over eating.

Ginger Snap 14-10-2007 11:57 PM

I just finished Atonement by Ian McEwan. It is now officially the joint best book in the world (along with The Bell Jar). The film is awesome but is nothing compared to the book! I'm now addicted to Ian McEwan and need to start The Innocent.

xxx

nowhereman 15-10-2007 10:45 PM

I'm reading a few Jacqueline Wilson books at the moment, big kid that I am. Just finished The Dare Game and Sleepovers, now I'm reading The Bed and Breakfast Star and next I'll read Double Act.

Devil Girl 15-10-2007 11:14 PM

Oh I used to love Jacqueline Wilson books! Love Tracy Beaker, and have to admit I have some of the dvd's! lol

Currently I am just reading uni books! Meaning Psychology, management and the most difficult is the philosophy stuff! You should try reading it, it is like reading a different language!

Might start reading something tomorrow so hopefully will have a book to put up soon! Feel like I haven't had the chance to read something for pleasure for ages now!

Spoons 15-10-2007 11:15 PM

Slaughterhouse 5- Kurt Vonnegut

beautiful&dying 18-10-2007 03:58 PM

i just started 'the uncommon reader' by alan bennett, a short story/novella about the queen getting into reading. as with everything alan writes, it's beautiful, funny, intelligent and un-put-down-able. love it.
xxxxxx

ihatethereforeiam 20-10-2007 03:02 PM

Just finished 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'
and just started 'A Clockwork Orange'

Puppet Strings 20-10-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihatethereforeiam (Post 331548)
Just finished 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'

What did you think if it?

It's on my to-read pile, amongst some of the books my uncle lent me, and was wondering what people thought of it. :) x

Sky 20-10-2007 07:25 PM

I've just finished reading Damaged by Cathy Glass, she's got another book out and I think she's the UK version of Torey Haden but Cathy's books are about children she has fostered.

I read Neverwhere a few months back which was very good. It's written by Neil Gaiman and is about a world below London, it was turned into a TV series for BBC 1 in the 90s. A colleague of mine leant me the DVD which I've been watching, it helps make sense of the book. Although it's odd seeing something from the late 90s - they lool like they awful dress sense then!

Spoons 21-10-2007 12:22 PM

I've just started reading Crime and Punishment, its really good so far.

IamJamesGreens 21-10-2007 01:30 PM

Well I was reading Prisoner of Azkaban on holiday, got bored and read the last chapters - now I know why it's classed as children material, and I still have another two books to read :X

Going to take on HFRO or Hunt for Red October - a proper book!

beautiful&dying 22-10-2007 06:11 PM

I'm reading another point horror book. they are rather addictive and only take about half a day to read! I just finished the Alan Bennett book, The Uncommon Reader too, and it's just beautiful. Made me green with envy at his perfect writing style!
xxxxxx

Louise 22-10-2007 06:13 PM

I am reading Jodi Picoult Plain Truth

Keystone 23-10-2007 11:41 AM

i've just finished the dark tower II: the drawing of the three, the series is really starting to get good and i can’t wait to read the next book

writingstatic 25-10-2007 04:23 AM

Plowed through a massive pile of 'em over the past week or so: 'A Prayer For The Dying' by Stewart O'Nan, 'When Nietzsche Wept' by Irvin Yalom, 'Unholy Ghost' edited by Nell Casey, reread Styron's 'Darkness Visible' for what feels like the tenth time (such a sublime book), am presently on 'Cutting' by Steven Levenkron with 'Bright Red Scream', 'The Noonday Demon', 'Night Falls Fast' and 'The Nightmare Factory' in the "to do" pile. But then I just bought 'Half-Life 2' for my Xbox so maybe I won't be reading anything else for a little while.

nowhereman 25-10-2007 08:41 AM

The Worry Website by Jacqueline Wilson, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Love's Executioner and other tales of psychotherapy.

Behind the Smile 25-10-2007 12:51 PM

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

whispers 25-10-2007 08:45 PM

Just finished 'Sign of the Cross' by Chris Kuzneski (I think that's his name!).
Not the kind of thing I usually read, but really good - I couldn't put it down. The ending was weak, though, in my opinion. But still a good read :)