RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

Dreaming. 20-06-2011 12:14 AM

Recently finished If on a winter's night a traveler, which was really weird but quite good. Started reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep now, which I'm bloody loving.

Still reading Les Miserables too, but that's on the back burner for a while.

crazykat 20-06-2011 03:42 AM

House Rules-Jodi Picoult

Too Shy 20-06-2011 04:32 PM

I am reading The Cupcake Cafe - Jenny Colgan.

Really enjoying it. There's nothing challenging about it whatsoever, but it's just a 'nice' book to read and sometimes that is very very necessary!

TEAPARTY 20-06-2011 07:08 PM

one flew over the cuckoo's nest - ken kesey :D

shadow-light 20-06-2011 07:29 PM

A Game of Thrones: Book One of Songs of Fire and Ice

Ardea 20-06-2011 07:37 PM

Finally getting around to reading The Hunger Games, I'm on the last book at the moment :)

The War Doctor 20-06-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow-light (Post 2858796)
A Game of Thrones: Book One of Songs of Fire and Ice

I watched the season finale of the TV adaptation earlier today, and I'm kicking myself for not having read the book first. I really want to read it now.

tifflehan 21-06-2011 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too Shy (Post 2858685)
I am reading The Cupcake Cafe - Jenny Colgan.

Really enjoying it. There's nothing challenging about it whatsoever, but it's just a 'nice' book to read and sometimes that is very very necessary!

I loved this book too. Nice and easy going. :yeah:

SavingGrace 21-06-2011 11:06 AM

I can finally post something here that wouldn't be a Uni book...... Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody. =] It is amazing.

shadow-light 21-06-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifteen Dollar Eagle (Post 2859150)
I watched the season finale of the TV adaptation earlier today, and I'm kicking myself for not having read the book first. I really want to read it now.

that's the reason I started reading it lol. I bought it after the 3rd episode and wanted to finish it before the season ended, but life got in the way so not finished it yet

Master Of Deceit 21-06-2011 01:36 PM

I finished The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson a few days ago and I would definitely reccomend it. The author is awesome. Of course there are graphic descriptions but if you can deal with that, totally worth reading. After that, I'm not sure I can ever find a book that will appease me.

Hobbes 23-06-2011 06:25 PM

Reading Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson. It's interesting and funny, especially since a lot of the references are fairly outdated since it was written almost 20 years ago. Enjoying it.

EndOfDaze 23-06-2011 07:17 PM

Started reading "Cut" by Cathy Glass today. First one of hers that I've read :)

monket 24-06-2011 09:42 PM

Finished The Girl Who Played With Fire, but I don't have the last book yet, so I started Sabriel by Garth Nix instead :)

Dreaming. 24-06-2011 10:13 PM

Recently finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? And bloody loved it. Favourite book I've read recently.

Now reading A Clockwork Orange - it's the kind of book I regret watching the film of before I saw the film, as all I can hear when I read the book is Malcolm McDowell's voice! But I like it - I understand Burgess' complaints when the book turned into film, as it visualises a lot of the subtle but smart violence.

one_step_closer 25-06-2011 08:45 PM

Mummy Told Me Not to Tell - Cathy Glass.

getting_by 25-06-2011 10:16 PM

Fortunes Rock- Anita Shreve
Sea Glass- Anita Shreve
Light on Snow- Anita Shreve

Both were beautifully written. I choose books that calm and occupy my mind without adding to the horrendous dreams and thoughts I struggle with. They might not be to everyones taste, but I find them just brilliant.

nowhereman 26-06-2011 07:09 AM

I just read one called The Cut of Love, deals with self harm and psychosis, divorce and death.

misskitty112 26-06-2011 11:15 PM

I'm reading Slaughterhouse Five

monket 27-06-2011 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreaming. (Post 2864033)
Now reading A Clockwork Orange - it's the kind of book I regret watching the film of before I saw the film, as all I can hear when I read the book is Malcolm McDowell's voice! But I like it - I understand Burgess' complaints when the book turned into film, as it visualises a lot of the subtle but smart violence.

That is my favorite book ever. I thought the film was well done, but they deviated from the story a lot in some places. However, I imagine if you watched the movie first, it makes it a lot easier to understand what the Alex is talking about in the book. I know the first time I read it, I was flipping back and forth to the slang glossary about every page or so :D