RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

Laura2.0 19-03-2011 10:32 PM

Wild Child: and Other Stories - T.C. Boyle

The War Doctor 21-03-2011 07:47 AM

Finished Youth by Joseph Conrad, and it was pretty damn good for a 30-page short story. Moving on to Conrad's Heart of Darkness... Apocalypse Now is one of my favourite films of all time, so it'll be interesting to see how its themes are explored in the original text.

Lemonade. 21-03-2011 03:29 PM

The Saddest Girl In The World by Cathy Glass. It's amazing - such a good book. And a true story too, which makes it even better!

electrifying 21-03-2011 03:52 PM

I'm re-reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone
i've already read it about a million times, and i still love it.
:satisfied:

-phoenix- 22-03-2011 03:08 PM

lol, I'm a bit of a supernatural freak...so in middle of reading, book 3 of Vampire Academy, Book 2 of The Mortal Instruments series and this book called A Discovery of Witches...all very good! Gonna move on to Sookie Stackhouse series when I'm done on these xXx

Sentient Treacle 24-03-2011 03:59 AM

The catcher in the rye, it's been on the "to-read" pile for years, started it like yesterday, enjoying it so far.

Dreaming. 24-03-2011 09:23 AM

Finished The Lacuna. I definitely enjoyed it but I prefer Kingsolver's other ones, I think. It was a nice storyline, the way she put her main character in a real historical place with real historical figures.

I'm now reading Kazuo Ishiguro's When We Were Orphans.

Dreaming. 24-03-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumbelina (Post 2735726)
I finished Never Let Me Go on the train so I have had to raid my sister's book case.

Did you enjoy it? I have four of Ishiguro's other books on my bookshelf, but annoyingly that was the one I wanted most, but they didn't have in the charity shop.

tiptoes 24-03-2011 01:41 PM

Jo, I did enjoy it :)
I have read it before but that was a while ago and think I actually got more out of it this time, possibly because I knew where the story was going and could appreciate the progression/growth of the characters more.

I would rather like to read his other books but my list is sooo long at the minute and this thread isn't helping at all (darn you all!) :( My list is double sided A4 eek!

I finished the Choice in the end which I am glad about - I don't like leaving books unfinished, to me it is like leaving the characters in limbo!
The book reminded me of those made for tv films/dramas that you get on channel five mid afternoon. The plot was gentle and didn't care for the characters and then three quarters of the way through comes the "main event" and the story grabs you. If only the "event" had come 300 pages earlier!

About to start The House At Riverton, thanks to the recommendation on an earlier page (thank you Mademoiselle Lola. x)

moon 25-03-2011 10:15 AM

I'm currently reading The girl with the dragon tattoo by Steig Larsson.

MaybeNotForever 25-03-2011 04:47 PM

Couple of nights ago I finished "Curse of the Wolf Girl" by Martin Millar. Need to take it back to the library at some point... =/

I'm also part of the way through "The Lovely Bones", but haven't read any of it for a while.
x

PaleMoon 25-03-2011 05:24 PM

I'm in the middle of several books:

Born to Rule: Five Reigning Consorts, Granddaughters of Queen Victoria by Julia P. Gelardi. There are so many names and titles (and the author isn't very consistent in what she calls them) that I have drawn up a chart to keep things straight. Still a very good read.

Empress by Shan Sa. About the only female Emporess Regnant (ruled in her own right) in Chinese history.

Hobbes 25-03-2011 08:52 PM

Just started but also almost finished A Million Little Pieces by James Frey.

Mademoiselle Lola. 25-03-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoLost (Post 2744272)
Just started but also almost finished A Million Little Pieces by James Frey.

OMG.The day I finally met someone who read it has come!lol.
I loved it.so so powerful.the pages where he has that teeth surgery without anasthesia made me cry and I almost felt his pain.
You should read 'My friend,Leonard',which is the sequel.Still good,but not as good as the first.

Hobbes 25-03-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mademoiselle Lola. (Post 2744332)
OMG.The day I finally met someone who read it has come!lol.
I loved it.so so powerful.the pages where he has that teeth surgery without anasthesia made me cry and I almost felt his pain.
You should read 'My friend,Leonard',which is the sequel.Still good,but not as good as the first.

I felt the same way with the teeth bit. Very powerful book.

Thanks, I'll look it up :-)

Fry 26-03-2011 02:15 PM

I'm reading:

Games People Play
The Psychology of Human Relationships

by Eric Berne, M.D.

Tis very interesting so far :-)

Gone. 27-03-2011 01:15 PM

I've just started reading Damaged - Cathy Glass. It's actually really interesting :)
The Book Thief - Markus Zusak is next.

hirple. 28-03-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shine. (Post 2746609)
The Book Thief - Markus Zusak is next.

Argh I loved this book so much! I read it once, cried a few times then read it again and just sobbed the whole way through, hehe. I found it difficult to appreciate the narration for a while I seem to remember, but once I got into it, it was fab. Hope you enjoy it Annabelle!

I've just finished a re-reading of 'Making History' by Stephen Fry. Great book surrounding the concept of evil, I guess. To do with an alternate history in which Hitler doesn't exist. Worth a read, especially if you like Fry's wit :-)

one_step_closer 28-03-2011 06:13 PM

Ambulance Girl: How I Saved Myself by Becoming an EMT - Jane Stern.

Spoons 28-03-2011 07:40 PM

i just finished weight by Jeanette winterson.

Now reading a book my brother gave me from his beast quest collection as i promised i would for some reason...

havent picked out another book for me to read yet.