RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

Serendipity. 15-03-2011 01:03 AM

Alice in Wonderland. :)

fakesmiler 15-03-2011 02:10 AM

just finishd 'Lucky' by Alice Selbone, the same women who wrote the lovely bones, amazing book, but has a very graphic assult at the start and the whole book is about it, so dont read unless stable, but would HIGHLY recommend it!! x

ferretmonster 15-03-2011 09:47 AM

just finished reading Wasted by Marya Hornbacher, took me some time because there were times when i found it too hard too triggering to read but it was an excellent read

Beautiful Veins 15-03-2011 10:45 AM

The Shapeshifters: The Kiesha'ra of the Den of Shadows By Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

It's a really good book, a little hard to get into at the start but after a chapter or two you won't be able to put it down. :=D:

The War Doctor 16-03-2011 02:27 PM

Today I read both Howl and Other Poems and Kaddish and Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg. Taking the books as a whole, I preferred Howl, but Kaddish has some gems, namely "Kaddish (for Naomi Ginsberg)" and "Mescaline."

Currently reading Youth by Joseph Conrad (whose name I keep confusing with Hermes Conrad from Futurama for some reason).

The War Doctor 16-03-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mademoiselle Lola. (Post 2725178)
I liked Junky.But I would have liked it more if the narattor concentrated more on his emotions,rather than just listing the drugs he's done or the **** he's gone throgh.Still,it's a good reading.

Speaking from experience, addicts in general concentrate less on their emotions than on the drugs they've done (and of course, the drugs they intend to do), so in that sense it was much more true-to-life (which makes sense, considering Burroughs himself was a morphine addict for decades). If he diverted any of that single-minded focus towards describing how he felt emotionally, the book would have lost a lot of its rawness.

xplasticxxsmilesx 16-03-2011 05:30 PM

I'm reading Linger by Maggie Stiefvater. I can kind of relate to it somehow, one of the main characters reminds me of my best friend.. /:

Dreaming. 16-03-2011 10:05 PM

Finished Norwegian Wood.

Now reading The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver. I'm enjoying it, but it's nowhere near as good as The Poisonwood Bible.

Starless 17-03-2011 09:03 AM

Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult. It was quite good, but not as good as some of her others.

tiptoes 17-03-2011 12:04 PM

I'm currently reading:
*Perfect Girls, Starving Daughters - Courtney E Martin
*The Last Precinct - Patricia Cornwell
*Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro
*Overcoming Mood Swing - Jan Scott
*Freakonomics (listening to audio book) - Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner

Mademoiselle Lola. 17-03-2011 05:31 PM

I'm reading 'Hiding places' by Lyn Miller-Lachmann.I totally find myself in the main character.It's a great book,even though it's not that well-known.

All I know is falling. 17-03-2011 07:21 PM

Purge: rehab diaries by Nicole Johns. It's quite good so far, not very triggering for those that are interested!

CaiteeBug 17-03-2011 09:52 PM

I just finished Awakened by P.C. and Kristen Cast. Part of the House of Night series. Starting on Family Storms by V.C. Andrews.

one_step_closer 18-03-2011 12:56 PM

House Rules - Jodi Picoult.

tiptoes 19-03-2011 12:56 PM

I've come home for the weekend and forgot my kindle :(
I finished Never Let Me Go on the train so I have had to raid my sister's book case.
I have started The Choice by Susan Lewis but not really enjoying it. Other potential books to read are The Shakespeare Secret, The House at Riverton and Wicked.

Mademoiselle Lola. 19-03-2011 06:10 PM

^ I heard that The house at Riverton is really good.

Gone. 19-03-2011 06:19 PM

I'm planning to read 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak over Easter :)

makedamnsure 19-03-2011 08:45 PM

^^^ Thats such a sad book.
I ended up in tears many times.
Brilliant though.

I'm reading a load of rubbish crime novels lately :)

Stellata 19-03-2011 08:53 PM

This perfect world.
Painful to read in places if you've been bullied.
It also has self harm in it. [didn't expect that...] A very thought provoking book. Recommended.

Breaking Night is next.

nowhereman 19-03-2011 09:19 PM

Just finished rereading Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel, just started Night Star from the immortals series by Alyson Noel.