RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

Devil Girl 30-01-2010 10:39 AM

I have just finished sex crimes and think I will start mind race which is about someone with bipolar disorder.

sex crimes was better than I thought it would be. I didn't have high expectations though but easy read with a plot that kept you Reading.

Breifly_Tragic </3 30-01-2010 11:17 AM

I'm still reading Broken by Kelly Armstrong because I stopped reading it when I came off nights at work and had to work days againn :( I should probably start again haha!

Sparky! 30-01-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reallifetime (Post 2116149)
'Veronika Decides To die' is afilm now ,when did that happen .Wasnt his best book at all

Yeah, it's a film. Although apparently it hasn't been released in the UK / US yet, I watched it online. It's pretty good.

I thought the book was alright, nothing particularly special.

Next is 'In Stitches: The Highs and Lows of Life as an A&E Doctor' - Nick Edwards.

mikey 30-01-2010 02:07 PM

I've read 'In Stitches', but wasn't overly impressed if I'm honest. It was okay. Perhaps it's just not my style of book.

At the moment I'm reading Wild Swans by Jung Chang, which is really interesting.

Sparky! 30-01-2010 06:07 PM

^Mm, I'm finding it quite hard to read so far. It's like he's trying too hard to be funny and it just doesn't flow that well. But I haven't read that much, hopefully it will get better.

Steel Magnolia 30-01-2010 11:12 PM

^^ Im glad to hear your views on the book.. Im trying to decide whether its worth the read or not!

Devil Girl 31-01-2010 12:34 AM

Just finished Mind Race - I enjoyed it, easy and informative (though I did study bipolar disorder for an essay and have read a lot of journal articles) so it was quite easy for me.

I am trying to decide what to read next....got so many to read but dono what to pick up!

ejennie 31-01-2010 02:26 AM

Just finished The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks. Truly amazing, as usual. And I just started I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell. It's really weird, but kind of quirky and fun and interesting.

I'm getting Tracey Gold's memoir in the mail soon. So I'll start that when I get it.

charlieglasgow 31-01-2010 11:04 AM

i read my name is charlotte simmons, but i didn't finish it. didn't really hold my interest.

then i read the virgin suicides.

now i'm reading chuck palauhnick's survivor.

Sparky! 31-01-2010 04:44 PM

'In Stitches' was alright, I guess. Nothing amazing. It improved a bit once I got into it, there were some good bits but overall it wasn't wonderful. Worth a read but only if you don't have to buy it, have nothing better to read, and don't get upset by the occasional bitching about self-harm / attempted suicide, lol.

Now about to start 'The Ninth Life of Louis Drax' - Liz Jensen.

Stellata 31-01-2010 05:03 PM

I've just finished "Broken Wings" & "Midnight Flight" by Virginia Andrews. Excellent.

Now reading "Living in Perhaps" by Julia Widdows. Slow, but absorbing.

onepapergirl 31-01-2010 05:26 PM

Reading The Grapes of Wrath for English and The Death and Life of Sylvia Plath by Ronald Hayman.

PixieHope. 31-01-2010 09:58 PM

I'm reading 'A Question of Love' by Isabel Wolff. It's taking me ages to read cos I have no time anymore. It's okay though.

Devil Girl 31-01-2010 11:24 PM

I just read Monochrome Days - was okay, not as good as some of the other books in this mental health series, but quick and informative read with relatively up to date stats.

Think my next book will be Deliver Me From Evil By Alloma Gilbert - but will see how the first few chapters are else may read Skin Game or Bridget Jones's Diary - just not too sure what I want to be reading just now..

RainbowsAndButterflies 01-02-2010 11:28 PM

Just read cry silent tears- Joe peters

It is an amazing but such a heart breaking read. x

The War Doctor 01-02-2010 11:40 PM

Just read Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett, it was absolutely brilliant. Easily one of the best in the Discworld series.

Currently reading Fornication: The Red Hot Chili Peppers Story by Jeff Apter. I'm only a few pages in, but so far so good.

Next on my list (which seems to get longer every time I read something, somehow): The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction by Walter Benjamin. I'm not entirely sure exactly what it's about, but I thought it seemed interesting, so we'll see.

lozza 02-02-2010 02:59 AM

just reading "notes left behind" by brooke and desserich
it looks sad but also very inspiring:)
its about a young girl who had brain cancer... and just what she taught others. after she was diagnosed she hid notes to her parents and sister around the house for them to find after she has gone.... this was when she was just 6 years old!!! She sounds like a pretty amazing girl if you ask me...

has anyone else read this book yet?

Atemu 02-02-2010 08:03 AM

Romance of the Three Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong

The Sorceress: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott

That's about it. :) One's a real oldy (book-age wise) that I've been wanting to read for a while.

The One Who 02-02-2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everybody's Grudge (Post 2120388)
Just read Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett, it was absolutely brilliant. Easily one of the best in the Discworld series.

I've just finished that too, amazing how long it takes when all I can read is the odd thirty minutes on the train! I love the 'witches' series, the interactions between Granny and Nanny are brilliant.

Shadowsaurus 02-02-2010 11:53 AM

Just finished reading "The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath. It was a good read, but hard to get my head around and keep up to track! It's about a girl who ended up in a mental hospital.
Just reading "Halfway House" by Katharine Noel which is similar sort of thing. This girl has a breakdown and ends up being diagnosed with bipolar. I'm really into books about people's mental health atm, fiction or non-fiction as it helps me understand me kinda thing!

I'm also reading on the side "Our Little Secret" by Duncan Fairhurst which is one of those depressing abuse ones, but it's on my uni reading list so thought I'd get it over with!