RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

makedamnsure 27-06-2011 09:14 AM

Yeah the slang annoyed me in Clockwork Orange.

Quote:

Fortunes Rock- Anita Shreve
Sea Glass- Anita Shreve
Light on Snow- Anita Shreve
I liked fortunes rocks too. Not read the others but might have to try and get them!

Reading A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth.
Takes a bit of concentration but I'm enjoying it.

The War Doctor 27-06-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monket (Post 2866461)
That is my favorite book ever. I thought the film was well done, but they deviated from the story a lot in some places. However, I imagine if you watched the movie first, it makes it a lot easier to understand what the Alex is talking about in the book. I know the first time I read it, I was flipping back and forth to the slang glossary about every page or so :D

It's so much more satisfying if you don't use the glossary. At first I was completely lost, but by about a quarter of the way through I'd figured out, just from context, more or less exactly what every slang word meant, and it just made the book that bit more enjoyable for me.

one_step_closer 30-06-2011 12:31 PM

The Blood of Strangers - Frank Huyler.

Laura2.0 30-06-2011 01:27 PM

I'm reading 'the pilgrims of the rhine'
dunno who wrote it.

The War Doctor 30-06-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mute.Scream (Post 2870879)
I'm reading 'the pilgrims of the rhine'
dunno who wrote it.

Edward George Bulwer-Lytton.

They say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but covers can be surprisingly informative.

whirlpools 30-06-2011 11:40 PM

My concentration's really poor but I'm determined to start reading again. I've just begun another attempt at Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder, and xbeckyx has kindly lent me A Brave New World as well (I forget who wrote it).

The One Who 02-07-2011 10:08 AM

^ I thought Brave New World was quite poor.

I've recently read Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson. It's very slow and really not very much happens in it. At first I didn't like it and only plodded on because I'd started it, but after finishing it and leaving it for a while I've started to appreciate the whole thing a bit more. It's quite subtle.

nowhereman 03-07-2011 02:06 AM

It's kind of a funny story by Ned Vizzini. About a young guy in a psychiatric hospital. There's also a film.

one_step_closer 03-07-2011 12:19 PM

Managing Intense Emotions and Overcoming Slf Destructive Habits - Lorraine Bell.

Dreaming. 03-07-2011 01:28 PM

Got a couple on the go - A Suitable Boy by Seth, Doctor Zhivago and The Inheritors by William Golding.

sweepingly 04-07-2011 03:16 AM

Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut.

secretdepression19 04-07-2011 03:44 AM

I just finished reading both Her Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers and Boneman's Daughter by Ted Decker and am currently reading A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, the Illyad by Homer, and Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis (reading is a huge escape from life for me, hence so many books at once)

nowhereman 04-07-2011 08:22 AM

The Last Vampire by Christopher Pike, I'm on book 3. oh and I'm the same ^^

Fry 04-07-2011 03:18 PM

The Social Animal by Elliot Aronson
Seventh Edition

The War Doctor 06-07-2011 09:51 PM

Finished Atlas Shrugged. Amazing book, but Ayn Rand's prose style is too flowery for my taste; Victor Hugo's influence on her really shows, and at times it seems as if she's trying too hard to say "English is my second language, but look how well I've mastered it!" The ending was a little unsatisfying, and the infamous John Galt's Speech was incredibly long-winded (but brilliant nonetheless). The flaws are fairly minor in the grand scheme of things though; I absolutely loved this book.

I'm going to give Maeve Binchy a go. She's one of Ireland's most respected authors, but I've never read any of her books. I'm going to start Silver Wedding at some point tonight.

nowhereman 06-07-2011 10:07 PM

Ever Lasting by Alyson Noel (The Immortals series) and I got a free t shirt with it!

beautifulbutterflies 07-07-2011 01:35 AM

My Sister's Keeper by Jodie Picoult.

HealingAngel 07-07-2011 03:21 AM

Impossible by Nancy Werlin

Young Adult Novel. Love story... almost like a fairy tale. Really good.

Hobbes 07-07-2011 02:11 PM

The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath...though finding it abit triggering at the moment

The War Doctor 07-07-2011 11:16 PM

I decided to put off reading Silver Wedding by Maeve Binchy, in favour of reading Crossroads by Michael Schumacher. It's a biography of Eric Clapton (one of my heroes; he's the first blues musician I ever listened to and pretty much the reason I started playing guitar), and it's a great read.