RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

GuidingLight 16-07-2010 11:28 PM

Wheel of time book 9 - Robert Jordan <3

The War Doctor 17-07-2010 12:19 AM

Cell is good, albeit hardly King's best work. I enjoyed it nonetheless; it was a unique take on the tried, true and tired-out zombie horror genre. Not as brilliant as some of his earlier work, but it's yet more proof that he is more imaginative and original than any other writer alive today.

misskitty112 17-07-2010 03:50 AM

I have added Macbeth to the list of things I am reading.

nuclearnight 17-07-2010 03:51 AM

A Mercy by Toni Morrison

_plastic 17-07-2010 11:45 AM

The ethnic cleansing of Palestine.

one_step_closer 17-07-2010 07:00 PM

The Mask - Dean Koontz.

Devil Girl 17-07-2010 08:51 PM

I finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo By Steig Larsson - this is really the first crime novel I have ever read and I really enjoyed it and would recomend it for those interested in psychology, crimonology(sp!) and hacking!

I am now reading Moab is my Washpot By Stephen Fry - I do love Stephen Fry so I hope I enjoy this book!

MunchBox 18-07-2010 06:07 PM

Just finished Broken by Karin Slaughter so good.

J.K 19-07-2010 02:16 AM

Bill Hicks - love all the people: letters, lyrics, routines

Darkportrait12 19-07-2010 03:35 AM

Faith of the fallen - Terry Goodkind

Serenade 19-07-2010 04:37 AM

I am reading some stuff on the Gestapo cause it interests me and also reading Lisey's Story by Stephen King and the second harry potter is getting another re-read :-)

Pierrot 19-07-2010 07:13 AM

Stephen King is probably my favorite contemporary author. I like nearly all of his work, because of his characters. To me, regardless of the plot of a given story, his character writing has always been the most outstanding aspect of his stories. I think Rose Madder is my favorite of his stories.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm reading the first of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. A friend loaned it to me and insisted I read it. It's all right so far...definitely not Anna Karenina, though. :P

ferretmonster 19-07-2010 09:34 AM

ohh ohh keep going Pierrot, i love the dresden files, i have no idea who karenina is though so maybe you wont! but i love them

Opus. 19-07-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IsSheWeird (Post 2407269)
Just finished Broken by Karin Slaughter so good.

I love Karin Slaughter - definitely worth getting?

I'm reading Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy :)

Mademoiselle Lola. 19-07-2010 08:00 PM

I've just finished Ctrl-Z by Andrew Norriss.Tis a book for kids,but I loved it soo much.It's one of my fave books.
Now I'm starting Trainspotting.It's the second time I'm reading it,but this time in original,untranslated.
I'm also starting 'The unadulterated cat' by Terry Pratchett.

Serenade 21-07-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierrot (Post 2408140)
Stephen King is probably my favorite contemporary author. I like nearly all of his work, because of his characters. To me, regardless of the plot of a given story, his character writing has always been the most outstanding aspect of his stories. I think Rose Madder is my favorite of his stories.

Oh yeah one of the reasons I love King is his ability to convey real life through character, you can either totally relate to tangents or you can appreciate those areas he illuminates because it's just honest, it's the little things he puts in there that you connect to, it's not simply a story, it's more a reflection, which is literature at it's most effective and magnetic.

crazykat 21-07-2010 12:05 PM

Just started reading Blacklands by Belinda Bauer

CheyKizoxie 21-07-2010 01:20 PM

I listened (audio book) to the 7th Harry Potter book. It was really good. I was impressed with the level of description and in depth conversations between characters. Had trouble listening while cleaning or going for walks as I would miss a short part of the story lol. Good thing for rewind!

I wanted to listen to "the secret" on audio book but I found the background music a bit too distracting. I will try to find the book in large print if I can.

Chey:thumbup:

EndOfDaze 21-07-2010 05:43 PM

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
I love this book so so much, I've cried a fair few times too! I'd recommend this to everyone :)

Mademoiselle Lola. 21-07-2010 06:02 PM

I can't read 'Trainspotting' in original,so now I'm reading 'Bridget Jones 2' after seeing the movie.