RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

NCL347 13-06-2010 03:36 PM

ive just finished breaking dawn, and it was EPIC, i loved it...
i can see myself reading that pleanty more times....
deffo worth saving up for.

ive just started reading undomestic godess for te second time,
i cried the first time, and i just fell in love with it, so im testing to see if it has the same impact the second time

Mademoiselle Lola. 13-06-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil Girl (Post 2349557)
Well I finished Juliet, Naked By Nick Hornby last night. I did enjoy it but I didn't find it as funny and easy going as A Long Way Down which I have read by him! Interesting and worth reading but I would maybe try and borrow it of someone!

Also read What I Was By Meg Rossoff - Not great but as it was a teenage type book it got me reading a wee bit more again.

Now I have started The Amber Spyglass By Philip Pullman - it has been sitting in my bookshelf for YEARS so thought 'will finally get this trilogy finished!!!

I loved 'A long way down'.I haven't read Juliet,naked,but I heard from good sources it's not that great.

Devil Girl 13-06-2010 03:57 PM

^ Yeah, it was no where near the standard I had hoped for but still a worthwhile read...

Dreaming. 14-06-2010 10:35 AM

Satre - The Age of Reason. I promised my friend about four months ago that I'd read it and I still haven't, so thought I should force myself to now.

Charmed 14-06-2010 10:51 AM

I just read Handle With Care by Jodi Piccoult :) it was very good i recommend it, some bits were a bit iffy though...

Im now reading Change of Heart by Jodi Piccoult :) Its very good. i would also recommend that. Im only half way through though but its good :).

Mademoiselle Lola. 14-06-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charmed (Post 2351685)
I just read Handle With Care by Jodi Piccoult :) it was very good i recommend it, some bits were a bit iffy though...

Im now reading Change of Heart by Jodi Piccoult :) Its very good. i would also recommend that. Im only half way through though but its good :).

Have you read 'My sister's keeper' by J Picoult?It's great.

Has anyone read Franz Kafka's stories?Is it just me or he has an obsession with food and weight?And he wrote 'The hunger artist' which is,in my opinion,about anorexia.Well,it might be MY obsession with food which tells me he's got an obsession with food,but in every single story he says something about food and weight.Weird.

Later edit:Ok,I've just googled it and apparentely Kafka had anorexia.I knew it haha!

lovelybones 14-06-2010 06:25 PM

Just started A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn. Disturbing in a lot of ways, but very educational. Makes you realise how the US History textbooks they made us in the States read are total BS

mollysaysrecover 14-06-2010 07:03 PM

I've recently read Wuthering Heights and P.S I Love You. They're both amazing books. My favourite books are Go Ask Alice and Wuthering Heights. I suggest reading them if you ever have the time!

Charmed 14-06-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryptOrchid (Post 2351847)

Yeah i have read that too :) its awesome :) made me cry quite a lot though! I have read most of her books she is my new favourite author :) Have you read some of her other ones? :)

Charmed 14-06-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryptOrchid (Post 2351847)

Has anyone read Franz Kafka's stories?Is it just me or he has an obsession with food and weight?And he wrote 'The hunger artist' which is,in my opinion,about anorexia.Well,it might be MY obsession with food which tells me he's got an obsession with food,but in every single story he says something about food and weight.Weird.

Later edit:Ok,I've just googled it and apparentely Kafka had anorexia.I knew it haha!

Charmed 14-06-2010 09:59 PM

Sorry ignore the second post i didnt mean to send that :S

gypsyroselee 14-06-2010 10:16 PM

i just read Dear John by Nicholas Sparks (or something) because i wanted something light-hearted after Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel which i found a bit draining.

Now i have the new Chuck Palahniuk Tell All. I'm not too far in yet and i think i will have to read it at quite a fast pace to really get into it. I never finished his last book, Pygmy, because i didn't really have time or would always be too tired to keep up but now i pretty much only have free time and i have a big pile of books i've picked up from charity shops to read.

whirlpools 15-06-2010 04:00 PM

Prozac Nation is just a bit whine-y and miserable for me.

I've just started reading Sophie's World. I want to be able to understand Philosophy, but I'm not completely sure I'm getting it yet.

Devil Girl 15-06-2010 08:06 PM

Sophies world is a fantastic book!

Fry 15-06-2010 08:36 PM

I've just finished reading 1984, George Orwell.

Left Phalange 15-06-2010 10:02 PM

Right now I'm reading four books. O_O I don't know why I do that.
The Tenth Circle - I'm almost finished that and I like it a lot, it's by Jodi Picoult, but it can be quite triggering, taking into account abuse and SH.
The Bell Jar - I haven't read much of it, but I quite like it.
Time Traveller's Wife - Haven't read more of it in aaages, so I should really catch up, it's VERY confusing though.
The Lovely Bones - WAYYY better than the film, very easy to get into and read.

whirlpools 15-06-2010 10:03 PM

I really enjoyed 1984, it was easier to read than I was expecting. What did you think of it?

Fry 15-06-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disappear (Post 2354690)
I really enjoyed 1984, it was easier to read than I was expecting. What did you think of it?

I thought it had some interesting ideas within it. I found it dragged in some parts but that towards the end it was more exciting. The very end was so depressing. I liked some of the words in newspeak :)

Dreaming. 15-06-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I.Heart.Hobbit (Post 2354483)
I've just finished reading 1984, George Orwell.

I really enjoyed 1984; it's one of those books I'd expected to be horrible, but I found it an incredibly fascinating book - what did you think?
If you enjoy it, I'd recommend reading Brave New World soon too. It's quite contrasting in philosophy, but amazing to read together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Choley
The Bell Jar - I haven't read much of it, but I quite like it.
Time Traveller's Wife - Haven't read more of it in aaages, so I should really catch up, it's VERY confusing though.
The Lovely Bones - WAYYY better than the film, very easy to get into and read.

Bell Jar is one of those books you have to read. It's just quite moving, even if somebody hasn't experienced mental illness - which I really, really like, I think that's quite a skill to have.
Time Traveller's wife is very confusing, haha. Good book, though - did you see the film first?
Lovely Bones - haven't seen the film, but the book was quite moving and yeah, very easy to get into and read.

What did you think?

Fry 15-06-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreaming. (Post 2354891)
I really enjoyed 1984; it's one of those books I'd expected to be horrible, but I found it an incredibly fascinating book - what did you think?
If you enjoy it, I'd recommend reading Brave New World soon too. It's quite contrasting in philosophy, but amazing to read together.

Thanks for the recommendation :)

Written what I thought of it a couple of posts back :)

Dreaming. 15-06-2010 11:37 PM

Lol, sorry - I just missed that, haha. Yeah, newspeak was quite cool!

linder surprise 16-06-2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil Girl (Post 2349557)
Well I finished Juliet, Naked By Nick Hornby last night. I did enjoy it but I didn't find it as funny and easy going as A Long Way Down which I have read by him! Interesting and worth reading but I would maybe try and borrow it of someone!

i just finished a long way down over the weekend and i really loved it.
now i am reading kill your friends by john niven and it's kindof like a poor man's american psycho but it's alright.

GlitterTrashDoll 17-06-2010 04:13 PM

I've just started trying to read The Host by Stephenie Meyer. Can't really get into it yet, and it seems really confusing. :/

Snowdrop 17-06-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitterTrashDoll (Post 2357325)
I've just started trying to read The Host by Stephenie Meyer. Can't really get into it yet, and it seems really confusing. :/

I read this and couldn't get into it at first but I did and quite liked it

EndOfDaze 17-06-2010 06:46 PM

Blind Eye - Stuart MacBride

xbeckyx 17-06-2010 07:14 PM

Bridget Jones again but I've lost it somewhere in my room :(

Oddity 17-06-2010 07:24 PM

Book Of Longing - Leonard Cohen

A collection of his poems... most from the 90's...
This guy is a lot like me, except he's a dude and he's in his sixties.

lolalola519 17-06-2010 11:26 PM

Started Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. I really want to watch the show now!

The War Doctor 19-06-2010 06:51 PM

Finished CELL by Stephen King last night. Not his best work, but far from his worst. I felt genuinely worried for the main characters at times.

I'm going to start The Godfather by Mario Puzo tonight.

Mademoiselle Lola. 19-06-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xbeckyx (Post 2357588)
Bridget Jones again but I've lost it somewhere in my room :(

I've read the first book and I'm ashamed to say,I quite liked it.

Serenade 19-06-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifteen Dollar Eagle (Post 2360889)
Finished CELL by Stephen King last night. Not his best work, but far from his worst. I felt genuinely worried for the main characters at times.

I'm going to start The Godfather by Mario Puzo tonight.

I like Cell, thought it was a decent read, doesn't touch The Stand but it was a fun story. I much prefer Cell to Under The Dome at least.

I am reading some TS Eliot poetry and about halfway through a re-read of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Devil Girl 19-06-2010 08:11 PM

I finised The Amber Spyglass By Philip Pullman which is for me the best out of the trilogy! I will admit I was too young when I read The Northern Lights and most likely need to read it again, and it has been a long time since I have read both The Northern Lights and The Subtle Knife so can't really compare them all right now!

I am about to start Overheard in a Dream By Torey Hayden. I have read two of her books so far and really liked them so hoping the same goes for this one!

MrsCoulter 19-06-2010 09:41 PM

Reading The Plague Dogs.

Spoons 21-06-2010 09:49 PM

im struggling to focus on reading so i have numerous things going.

The poetry of Robert Frost
Invisible monsters- Chuck Palahniuk (for like the hundredth time)
getting better bit(e) by bit(e)- Schmidt and Treasure
the society of others- William Nicholson

J.K 22-06-2010 11:14 AM

I'm starting As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner at some point today.

NeonHaze 22-06-2010 03:13 PM

I just finished The Dark by James Herbert, he's my all time favourite author, bar a couple of crap books =)

PixieHope. 22-06-2010 03:47 PM

I'm reading Wild Oats by Veronica Henry. It's really good :)

bodlonrwydd 22-06-2010 03:48 PM

The Beauty Myth - Naomi Wolf

A friend at work is lending it to me in an attempt to help me with my self-image issues.

silverfaerychild 22-06-2010 05:27 PM

still reading Haunted but when i am done with it ..I'm gonna be reading book 2 of the sookie stackhouse novels

xbeckyx 24-06-2010 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeonHaze (Post 2365379)
I just finished The Dark by James Herbert, he's my all time favourite author, bar a couple of crap books =)

That's a great book!
Really creepy towards the end :)

I'm reading Twilight again (yes I'm sad). Still can't find Bridget Jones :angry:

Devil Girl 26-06-2010 09:12 AM

Yesterday I finished Overheard in a Dream By Torey Hayden. It was okay but not as good as her books based on children she has worked with. It did have many layers but it just didn't hit me and I know I won't remember it as much as One Child, and Just Another Kid

I am now about a third of the way through Look Back in Hunger By Joe Brand. It is okay, and I can hear her saying the words to me as I read it. You can tell it is her writing but it hasn't done anything for me just yet. I don't normally read autobiography's of famous people, it is normal memoirs about mental health or abuse etc, so it is a different type of book for me!

Devil Girl 27-06-2010 07:46 AM

Finished Joe Brands autobiography Look Back in Hunger - it was okay....

Now starting Electroboy By Andy Behrman

Stellata 27-06-2010 11:07 AM

"The Children's Book" by AS Byatt.

It reminds me so much of a lot of things I read for my [English] degree, and gives me a whole new perspective on that era. [Leading into the 20th Century] There's stuff about love, art, politics, mental illness. It's a long book - 600 pages - but well worth the read if you like something a bit different and more intense.

Fry 27-06-2010 12:21 PM

I'm still waiting for Lord of the Flies to be delivered.
I miss reading :(

Stellata 27-06-2010 02:35 PM

Go to the library. :)

Fry 27-06-2010 02:40 PM

Then I'll be part way through a book when it arrives.

Stellata 27-06-2010 03:32 PM

When's it due to arrive? [You should see my pile of books to read! Ha!]

Fry 27-06-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellata (Post 2373749)
When's it due to arrive? [You should see my pile of books to read! Ha!]

By July the 11th. I ordered it second hand from Amazon and only just realised it's coming from Luxembourg, lol. So much for ordering online because it's so convenient! I'm aiming to read all the 'must read' classics.

What's in your pile? Heh.

shadow-light 27-06-2010 03:46 PM

I just started "A fractured mind" by Robert Oxnam. Read it before but re-reading it as don't think my brain took it in the first time lol

makedamnsure 27-06-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

The Children's Book" by AS Byatt.

It reminds me so much of a lot of things I read for my [English] degree, and gives me a whole new perspective on that era. [Leading into the 20th Century] There's stuff about love, art, politics, mental illness. It's a long book - 600 pages - but well worth the read if you like something a bit different and more intense.
Sounds interesting. Will give it a look when I get through my pile!!
Just about to start "The Girl at the Lion d'Or" by Sebastian Faulks I've read some of his other books so looking forward to this one.