RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

Stellata 31-01-2010 05:03 PM

I've just finished "Broken Wings" & "Midnight Flight" by Virginia Andrews. Excellent.

Now reading "Living in Perhaps" by Julia Widdows. Slow, but absorbing.

onepapergirl 31-01-2010 05:26 PM

Reading The Grapes of Wrath for English and The Death and Life of Sylvia Plath by Ronald Hayman.

PixieHope. 31-01-2010 09:58 PM

I'm reading 'A Question of Love' by Isabel Wolff. It's taking me ages to read cos I have no time anymore. It's okay though.

Devil Girl 31-01-2010 11:24 PM

I just read Monochrome Days - was okay, not as good as some of the other books in this mental health series, but quick and informative read with relatively up to date stats.

Think my next book will be Deliver Me From Evil By Alloma Gilbert - but will see how the first few chapters are else may read Skin Game or Bridget Jones's Diary - just not too sure what I want to be reading just now..

RainbowsAndButterflies 01-02-2010 11:28 PM

Just read cry silent tears- Joe peters

It is an amazing but such a heart breaking read. x

The War Doctor 01-02-2010 11:40 PM

Just read Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett, it was absolutely brilliant. Easily one of the best in the Discworld series.

Currently reading Fornication: The Red Hot Chili Peppers Story by Jeff Apter. I'm only a few pages in, but so far so good.

Next on my list (which seems to get longer every time I read something, somehow): The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction by Walter Benjamin. I'm not entirely sure exactly what it's about, but I thought it seemed interesting, so we'll see.

lozza 02-02-2010 02:59 AM

just reading "notes left behind" by brooke and desserich
it looks sad but also very inspiring:)
its about a young girl who had brain cancer... and just what she taught others. after she was diagnosed she hid notes to her parents and sister around the house for them to find after she has gone.... this was when she was just 6 years old!!! She sounds like a pretty amazing girl if you ask me...

has anyone else read this book yet?

Atemu 02-02-2010 08:03 AM

Romance of the Three Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong

The Sorceress: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott

That's about it. :) One's a real oldy (book-age wise) that I've been wanting to read for a while.

The One Who 02-02-2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everybody's Grudge (Post 2120388)
Just read Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett, it was absolutely brilliant. Easily one of the best in the Discworld series.

I've just finished that too, amazing how long it takes when all I can read is the odd thirty minutes on the train! I love the 'witches' series, the interactions between Granny and Nanny are brilliant.

Shadowsaurus 02-02-2010 11:53 AM

Just finished reading "The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath. It was a good read, but hard to get my head around and keep up to track! It's about a girl who ended up in a mental hospital.
Just reading "Halfway House" by Katharine Noel which is similar sort of thing. This girl has a breakdown and ends up being diagnosed with bipolar. I'm really into books about people's mental health atm, fiction or non-fiction as it helps me understand me kinda thing!

I'm also reading on the side "Our Little Secret" by Duncan Fairhurst which is one of those depressing abuse ones, but it's on my uni reading list so thought I'd get it over with!

crazykat 02-02-2010 12:03 PM

Voluntary Madness-Norah Vincent

one_step_closer 02-02-2010 07:20 PM

Veronica Decides to Die - Paulo Coelho.

silverfaerychild 02-02-2010 09:43 PM

The deathly Hollow (book 7 of harry potter )

Sparky! 02-02-2010 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazykat (Post 2120898)
Voluntary Madness-Norah Vincent

What do you think? I actually liked this book a lot.

Finished 'The Ninth Life of Louis Drax' today - it's really weird but very good, gripping. Would recommend.

Now reading 'A Certain Age' - Rebecca Ray, which is alright so far.

monket 03-02-2010 01:23 AM

Just finished both American Gods by Neil Gaiman, and The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf.

I've never read a Neil Gaiman book I didn't like, so of course I liked American Gods. The Weight of Silence was ok, pretty good for being the author's first novel, but a few of the characters were disappointing.

I've just picked up Bodily Harm by Margaret Atwood, so that's probably up next on the "to read" list.

Devil Girl 03-02-2010 01:50 AM

Just finished Deliver Me From Evil it was good, though repetitive and at some points very difficult to read.

About to start Bridget Jones's Diary By Helen Fielding - need something light hearted!

crazykat 03-02-2010 07:51 AM

Quote:

What do you think? I actually liked this book a lot.
Sparky, I am really liking it so far

silverfaerychild 03-02-2010 09:43 PM

nearly ..like nearly...done with potter..i should be done with it today..and then after that i am jumping into " Blood Promise by Richelle mead " which is the 4th book to the vampire academy.. then i hope to soon read..the fifth book

one_step_closer 06-02-2010 07:10 PM

Where Does it Hurt? - Max Pemberton.

PixieHope. 06-02-2010 08:26 PM

I finally finished my book. Am now reading The Paradise Room - Belinda Jones. I like reading simple books while I've got loads of work to do :)

Stellata 06-02-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellata (Post 2118188)
I've just finished "Broken Wings" & "Midnight Flight" by Virginia Andrews. Excellent.

Now reading "Living in Perhaps" by Julia Widdows. Slow, but absorbing.

The ending of 'Living in Perhaps' was frustrating. Am going to read what people thought of it on Amazon!

Am now reading "Baby X" by a child protection policeman based in Hackney. Originally I borrowed it because of the child abuse element. But it's extra interesting because it's set in Hackney - I lived in Bethnal Green for 3 years, and taught in Hackney a fair bit. I also nearly lived in Hackney. I'm glad, so glad, I didn't!

ThinkingofRecovery 06-02-2010 08:45 PM

I ordered some books off Amazon last night one of which was the 2nd in the Dollanganger series of Virginia Andrews, which I am quite looking forward to reading. I can't remember what the other 3 were off the top of my head :)

Stellata 06-02-2010 08:46 PM

I read all that series last Autumn, Carrie. They're excellent. The 2nd one, if I remember, is really intense. Or it may be the 3rd. One of those two.

ThinkingofRecovery 06-02-2010 08:51 PM

I read the 1st one after a recommendation on here by you and really enjoyed it :)

Devil Girl 08-02-2010 10:50 PM

Just finished Bridget Jones's Diary and starting Scarred By Sophie Andrews

Danny R 09-02-2010 09:38 PM

Just got done reading Frankie Boyles autobiography, was a good read, would reccomend it to anyone that's not easily offended :p

J.K 09-02-2010 09:58 PM

My friend was telling me about that book last week or so. I've heard of Flann O'Brien but I've never read any of his stuff. I might give them a go at some stage.

The War Doctor 10-02-2010 11:40 PM

Just read: Fornication: The Red Hot Chili Peppers Story by Jeff Apter. I enjoyed it; it's nice to see a biographer inject some humour into his work now and again, and it got me listening to John Frusciante's horrifyingly beautiful solo work (but that's for a whole other thread).

Currently reading: The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction by Walter Benjamin. It's a quasi-philosophical essay on art theory and the idea that copying a work of art robs it of its value. At least I think so. It's pretty hard to follow to be honest, and I've only started reading it. It's interesting though, when I can actually figure out what Benjamin is talking about.

Next on my list: Shadow of a Dark Queen by Raymond E. Feist. I don't really know why. To satisfy the geek in me I suppose, but I don't typically go for fantasy (with the obvious exception of Tolkien's works). Still, you can't judge a book by its et cetera, so I'll wait until I've read it before commenting on it...

Rodolphus 10-02-2010 11:54 PM

Since Monday, I've read:

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella.
I love this author, and I've read everything she's written to date, under this name anyway. I thought it was a really funny, original and engaging book, and I was pretty sad when I finished it. I'd recommend it to anyone who's previously read any of her books, or goes for the easy-reading, chilling out before bed type of books. And my Nana's currently reading it. It appeals to everyone. (And my Nana rocks socks)

Ghost Child by Torey Hayden.
Very intense, and extremely well written, but also very emotional and raw in places. But brilliant. Not really one to read just as you're about to sleep or anything.

Knocked Out By My Nunga-Nungas by Louise Rennison.
It was one of those books that I randomly picked up off my shelf because I've not read it for a while. Incredibly easy to read, and not the most hard to follow plot in the world, I find the series highly entertaining :D

Queen of Babble by Meg Cabot.
Without a doubt one of my all time favourite authors, and I have her entire collection to date. She wrote all the Princess Diaries books and stuff like that. I love the way she writes, her characters are original and oddly relatable to, although you would never think it. The story line is easy to follow, but by no means very simple. I loved every page, and couldn't wait to read the next one once I'd finished it. I then read:

Queen of Babble in the Big City (by the same author)
And it was equally as wonderful. I'm really hoping that she writes another in the series very soon, because I'm pretty peeved that I've finished it now xD Amazing book by an amazing writer. Go read it. Now.

Hells yeah to reading 5 full length novels in less than 3 days.

I'm about to read Macbeth.
But you all know how freaking awesome that it.
*cough* I love Shakespear *cough*

The War Doctor 11-02-2010 06:00 PM

Macbeth is brilliant. I saw a performance of it in the Helix a couple years ago, it's still the best play I've ever seen.

fallen wings44 11-02-2010 06:58 PM

im reading candy by:Kevin Brooks

ReticentRose 11-02-2010 07:47 PM

This week, I have read: Chasing Vermeer, The Pearl, Othello, The Wrong Boy, Fever Pitch (which I enjoyed, but not as much as I would have if I had any interest in football), The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, Eleven O'clock Chocolate Cake, Emma, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Two Caravans; and I'm now rereading Markus Zusak's 'The Book Thief', which I adore and am reading three chapters at a time with another book in between each one because I don't want the story to end, or to have to take it back to the library.
...I love books...

ThinkingofRecovery 11-02-2010 08:15 PM

I am about to start reading 'The Secret Scripture' by Sebastian Barry

Devil Girl 11-02-2010 08:45 PM

The Secret Scripture is good!

ColourExplosion 11-02-2010 08:59 PM

Betrayed :) (Second book in the House of Night series by P.C and Kristen Cast)
It's good!

PixieHope. 12-02-2010 11:18 AM

How can people manage to read so much?
I've almost finished my book and that's taken like a week, unless I'm a slow reader compared to you lot!!

Devil Girl 12-02-2010 04:01 PM

^ I get shocked at the ammount some people read! I only managed like 8 books last year, my mum managed 1 maybe!

I think its like if you have time to read etc, like I have finished two books in one day, but can take ages gget through another. Don't think it is cause you are slow! A book in a week is fast in my eyes!

The War Doctor 12-02-2010 06:34 PM

For me it really depends on how much time I have to read. I read To Kill a Mockingbird in about 8 hours, and Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows in one day, but the last time I read The Outsider (only just over 100 pages long)it took two or three days because I was too busy to just sit down and read.

Just read: The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction by Walter Benjamin. Turns out it had three essays in it - the title one (which I barely understood to be honest), Kafka: On the Tenth Anniversary of His Death (which I didn't understand AT ALL) and Picturing Proust which, thankfully, was much easier to follow than the first two, which were practically incomprehensible.

Currently reading: Shadow of a Dark Queen by Raymond E. Feist. Surprisingly, I'm enjoying it. I didn't think I would, as I'm not a big fan of fantasy. Still, I have noticed some pretty glaring clichés... half-elves. Why must sci-fi and fantasy writers include half-breeds? It's pure nonsense! And it's always half-elves too, never half-dwarfs or half-gnomes... oh well.

Reading next: Waiting For Godot by Samuel Beckett. Recommended to me by my English teacher after a rather surreal creative writing assignment. I've heard it is one of the weirdest plays in existence. Should be cool.

PixieHope. 12-02-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil Girl (Post 2136720)
^ I get shocked at the ammount some people read! I only managed like 8 books last year, my mum managed 1 maybe!

I think its like if you have time to read etc, like I have finished two books in one day, but can take ages gget through another. Don't think it is cause you are slow! A book in a week is fast in my eyes!

Yeah, my last book took me four weeks! I don't mind really, it's just that people read so much!

rosierose 12-02-2010 09:29 PM

Has anyone read The Silver Linings Playbook? I'm about 3/4 way through - it's really good!

lost in dreams 13-02-2010 03:20 AM

I have just read baby x which was really good

i am now reading silent boy by Tory Hayden which is really good to. I love all of her books.

I think i am going to read twlight next.

HopeRises 13-02-2010 04:16 AM

Its taken me ages to read a 200 odd page book..like over 2 weeks..but then I don't read it constantly or even every night. I think I've only read it two nights.

Devil Girl 13-02-2010 09:13 AM

I finished scarred by Sophie Andrews last night. I liked it but found it very triggering! Felt her adult life after hospital was rather rushed though! But nice book!

Just finished the thought that counts by jared douglas kant - was good but maybe not as flowing as previous books in this mental health initiative series but was informative (info was good but personal story didn't flow aswell as others)

dono what I'll start later!!

Devil Girl 13-02-2010 12:23 PM

Just started Skin Game By Caroline Kettlewell

one_step_closer 13-02-2010 02:59 PM

Night Shift - Stephen King.

Sparky! 13-02-2010 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil Girl (Post 2137994)
Just started Skin Game By Caroline Kettlewell

I've wanted to read that for a while - let me know if it's any good!

Keep starting books and giving up on them, but am going to try reading 'Lullabies for Little Criminals' by Heather O'Neill next - looks quite good.

QuietChaos 13-02-2010 10:17 PM

Dead to the World - Charlaine Harris

makedamnsure 13-02-2010 11:34 PM

prozac nation. how I haven't read it before now I don't know. Maybe just coz dont want anyone seeing it on my book shelf. I like it so far but it has made me cry a few times so far, and made me angry in places too.

cowgirl_2418 14-02-2010 02:23 AM

I'm reading 'Go Ask Alice' it's a diary of a girl. It's a really good book.

one_step_closer 14-02-2010 02:26 PM

My Body, My Enemy - Claire Beeken.