RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

TheCon 02-03-2008 05:40 PM

J.K my English teacher adores James Joyce and has a picture of him on his classroom walls and frequently talks to the poster >.<

I'm currently reading the original novel of Sweeney Todd. It's really good, completely separate from the musical and movie though.
After it i'll be reading Dexter: Darkly Dreaming by Jeff Lindsay.

thesugarspider 02-03-2008 10:27 PM

I'm reading The Historian right now :]

Buttons. 02-03-2008 10:32 PM

I loved Dracula when I read it!!!

I'm currently reading Stephen Fry's autobiography Moab is my washpot and I adore it with a passion

Coulthart 03-03-2008 12:58 AM

The Discovery of Heaven, by Mulisch
it's an awesome book, I've read it six times now, and it still amazes me.

And to keep in that direction, I'm now reading Dante's La Divina Commedia. Only because I don't have enough money to buy a copy of Paradise Lost by Milton (I've read the divine comedy already).

monket 03-03-2008 06:05 AM

Currently reading: "The Witching Hour" by Anne Rice. Finished all the vampire novels, moving on to witches, haha.

random.swirls 03-03-2008 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fangurl (Post 590144)
I'm reading 'We Need To Talk About Kevin'
It's really hard to get into at the moment but I've been told it gets better

It does get better and is a brilliant book but I know my mum struggled with it till close to the end.

I've just read crying wind or something and now have a choice of 'intellectual books'

broken and defeated 03-03-2008 10:00 AM

ive just finished twilight,new moon and eclipse. the story follows a girl who falls in love with a vampire.

best books ever

Amy

kijam76 03-03-2008 10:28 AM

Just finished "The Bell Jar" - Sylvia Plath [which I found strangely relaxing and reassuring considering the author, guess im just weird :P] , and am currently reading "Heart of Darkness" - Joseph Conrad, and "Life of Pi" - Yann Martel

mesmerized. 03-03-2008 11:47 AM

I'm reading 'From the Edge of the Couch' by Dr Raj Persaud. It's really very boring so far, but hopefully it'll improve. I've only just started it.

Finally finished 'Brave New World' the other day (haven't had much time for reading =[), but it was really good. Definitely worth reading.

linder surprise 03-03-2008 02:07 PM

i'm going to have to read brave new world in the next couple weeks too (for uni).
i already had the lecture on it but i just sat there clueless cos i hadn't read it yet.
i hate uni :(.

Popple 09-03-2008 02:36 PM

I just started reading Damaged last night and it had me in tears..for various reasons..
but yeah it's just another thing thats persuading me to foster children when I'm older

linder surprise 09-03-2008 03:56 PM

ah, i speed read brave new world in like, one day.
well impressed with myself.
it was good. i liked it.

JumpinJackFlash 09-03-2008 10:38 PM

It rocks.

xfallenangel08x 09-03-2008 10:43 PM

John Locke's book, I forget what its called and I cba to go look lol.
Its...confusing.

Detour. Derail 09-03-2008 10:58 PM

'Candy' By Kevin Brooks.
Amazing book ^_^

mesmerized. 10-03-2008 12:00 AM

Pascal's Wager. I forget who it's by, and I can't be bothered finding out. 'Tis really interesting, though.

StaceyBee 10-03-2008 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by random.swirls (Post 597866)
It does get better and is a brilliant book but I know my mum struggled with it till close to the end.

I've just read crying wind or something and now have a choice of 'intellectual books'

I just finished it the other day and didn't even realise how far I was to the end til I looked
It's such a good book
I'd definitely read it again

nowhereman 10-03-2008 01:55 AM

My Sister Jodie by Jacqueline Wilson.

Devil Girl 10-03-2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xfallenangel08x (Post 615163)
John Locke's book, I forget what its called and I cba to go look lol.
Its...confusing.

I had to read some articles by John Locke in a philosophy module that I was doing. It was so difficult! Can't believe you are manageing to read a whole book! Philosophy still gives me nightmares!!!

I am currently reading a lot. Keep starting things and just giving up because I am still really struggling to read!

Eldest By Christopher Paolini
Life, Interrupted By James McConnel
Statistics Without Tears By Derek Rowntree (For uni!)
i, robot by Isaac Asimov
Mansfield Park By Jane Austen

Then on top of that I have my other uni books
1. Accounting book for management
2. Stats book for management (not the one mentioned above)
3. Economics book
4. Psychology book and sometimes stats for psychology!

ARGH!!! Its crazy! Got so much work to do!! ARGH!!!

Does anyone else find it hard to read for pleasure while at uni?

crazykat 10-03-2008 11:38 AM

I am reading Broken Open by Craig Hamilton