RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

GambitC13 25-11-2013 12:08 AM

The Master and Margarita- Mikhail Bulgakov.

nowhereman 25-11-2013 12:54 AM

Frozen Yoghurt, I have the first and 3rd of those books ok my to read list.

Just started Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

Unbreakable. 25-11-2013 05:24 AM

Bridget Jones. Just never fails to make me laugh and a good read for when I am not in the mood to read more challenging materials.

nowhereman 25-11-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitterTrashDoll (Post 3675597)
Allegiant by Veronica Roth.
Third in the series of the Divergent books.

I just bought the series for my sister, I always buy her a set f books for Christmas (and then borrow them, lol)

I bought myself the Girl, Missing series by Sophie McKenzie.

Benjibum 26-11-2013 01:14 PM

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

I don't know if I can go on, this is pretty horrendous. It's more meretricious than Shindler's List. It's good to see a protagonist with 'light' autism/asperger's though, there aren't too many of those.

I also just read Flowers for Algernon, which was pretty feelsy. I think it works better as a short story, but the ending/last third still destroyed me.

The War Doctor 27-11-2013 11:54 PM

Just finished The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler. It was a fun little detective novel. I might read some more of his stuff at some point.

Today I got a Doctor Who novel called Ten Little Aliens by Stephen Cole. Apparently it's a take on Agatha Christie's (*ahem*) Ten Little N***ers. I'm looking forward to reading it.

-------------------- 28-11-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjibum (Post 3692984)
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

Haven't read the book, the movie is good though.

I'm reading the harry potter books again :-D

FranticMind 28-11-2013 09:12 PM

im reading the hunger games books again, currently on catching fire.

The War Doctor 03-12-2013 04:24 PM

Last night I finished Doctor Who: Ten Little Aliens by Stephen Cole. It took me a while to get into it, but it built up to a very good and very exciting climax. It was much darker and bloodier than the average Doctor Who story, which was a bit unexpected, but it was okay. And one chapter was done in the style of a Choose Your Own Adventure book. I was a bit skeptical, but in the context it worked beautifully. Anyway, at some point tonight I'm going to start reading The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K. Dick.

Slaked Thirst 04-12-2013 11:15 PM

I've just started a few, some course texts:
Orlando by Virginia Woolf (very good. Surprising! Less pretentious than To the Lighthouse)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K Dick (forced to read, don't really like sci-fi and still, after a few chapters, not convinced)
A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth (the same as when reading Russian fiction, lots of unfamiliar names and words to adjust to at first, and a VERY BIG BOOK which I aim to hide in for AS LONG AS I CAN.)

Benjibum 07-12-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinxie (Post 3697751)

But, I'm on a dystopian fiction kick at the moment and the plot of the Divergent trilogy has definitely kept my attention and I am very curious to see how it's all going to end. So far, this series is one of the better dystopian fictions I've read.

Can I recommend The Last Policeman by Ben Winters?

It is set right before an inevitable asteroid collision and does one of the best societal breakdowns I have ever read. Get in now before the last book comes out, it's exciting to be part of a thing that is happening in the moment.

Foxtrot Oscar 07-12-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinxie (Post 3698857)
Yes you can and thank you!
Is it part of a series and if so, how many are in it?

I think it's the first part of a trilogy.

~Porcelain~ 08-12-2013 04:54 AM

Kissed by an angel - Elizabeth chandler

Foxtrot Oscar 08-12-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinxie (Post 3699093)
It is, I found out when I went to look for it!
Looking forward to reading it now, I looked up a short synopsis online and it looks really interesting.

Any other recommendations are always welcome, btw.
I love urban fantasy, elfpunk, some science fiction, some fantasy, some crime/thrillers...
Those are the main genres but I read loads in between!

Rubbernecker - Belinda Bauer, is really good.

frenchhorn 11-12-2013 11:22 PM

just started Clare Balding's autobiography- My Animals and Other Family.

The War Doctor 15-12-2013 02:25 PM

I finished The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K. Dick the other day. It was good, but I'm not sure I understood the last third or so. It was weird.

Anyway, since then I've been reading Sherlock Holmes short stories by Arthur Conan Doyle.

melissafaith 16-12-2013 08:36 AM

rereading House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielwski now that the semester is over.

Benjibum 17-12-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissafaith (Post 3703193)
rereading House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielwski now that the semester is over.

That book made me scared of my own house.

I am re-reading Blood Meridian because even ugly things can be beautiful.

consequential 17-12-2013 06:33 PM

The Last Man by Mary Shelley for my Romanticism module.

ElecTrickCity 17-12-2013 11:02 PM

I'm reading 'why we broke up' by Daniel Handler. Interesting book, about halfway through, unsure how its going to end if I'm honest.