RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

Athiri 28-08-2011 05:55 PM

Recently finished reading Money by Martin Amis. It was alright, a bit typical of that kind of book (hedonistic and easily dislikable protagonist who fritters away money on booze and women) and not particularly exciting until the ending which was quite a twist.
Now reading Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams. I've never read anything of his before but I'm really loving his style so far :)

Auragrace 28-08-2011 09:13 PM

I have just ordered a midwives confession, Gonna start reading Saving Amy tonight

xxhappydaysxx 28-08-2011 10:25 PM

a midwives confession was good :)

nowhereman 31-08-2011 01:03 AM

I just started The Demon's Covenant by Sarah Rees Brennan. The first one was good.

Antebellum 31-08-2011 03:13 AM

I have just (this second actually!) finished reading 'Tipping The Velvet by Sarah Waters'

I actually feel a little depressed over having finished it!!!! I have read it in a few days and found it quite enchanting lol

I have to say that every lesbian out there should read it! If I wasn't sure I was gay before reading it I am now! I think i've fallen in love with half the characters :wow:

The book is well written and keeps hold of your attention and imagination! Definitely worth a read.

Now I have the issue of choosing which book to read next...

A. Ink Heart (and the following books) by Cornelia Funke
B. Re-read the Twilight series and dull my brain with vampires for a few weeks!

C. Re-read all the Harry Potters... although I should really say re re re re re-read them lol (I've read them so many times I think I know them off by heart)

or

D. The colour Purple by Alice walker OR Re-read Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs.

Too many choices....

I now realise I have rambled myself to death.

:confused:

nowhereman 31-08-2011 03:17 AM

I love Tipping the Velvet! It's really sad in parts but describes being depressed and heart broken really well. Now you need to go buy the film, well it's not an actual film, it was a two part tv show. I have one of her (Sarah Waters) other books but haven;t read it yet,

Pink Lemonade Fairy 31-08-2011 02:36 PM

'The Room', it started off slow but now I see why because I feel so attached to the characters, it's good

The One Who 31-08-2011 03:04 PM

Vellum by Hal Duncan. It was very odd, jumps about all over the place, but if you can get over that then it was quite enjoyable as a fantasy novel.

Carousel 31-08-2011 05:28 PM

Just finished reading 'Redeeming Love' by Francine Rivers. It was amazing, I'd recommend it to anyone :)

beautifulbutterflies 31-08-2011 05:40 PM

Just read Metro Girl by Janet Evanovich.

Reading the sequel, Motor Mouth, now.

The War Doctor 01-09-2011 01:51 AM

I finished Hamlet today, and I loved it. I have no idea what students are complaining about. I had to study King Lear in school, and Hamlet is much better (which is less a knock on the former, and more a testament to the brilliance of the latter).

Tomorrow I'll start on The Father-Thing: Volume Three of the Collected Stories by Philip K. Dick. Twenty-three short stories' worth of fantastic sci-fi madness.

BeautyFiend 01-09-2011 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancintrulife (Post 2941153)
Now you need to go buy the film, well it's not an actual film, it was a two part tv show.

Three part TV show!

I'm not normally one for reading the 'best sellers' type, but I got pressured in to reading all the Stieg Larsson, which I loved... and now I'm reading Jo Nesbo - The Redbreast, which I am absolutely LOVING.

BeautyFiend 01-09-2011 02:03 AM

OH, and Tina Fey - Bossypants is brilliant!

Revolving Door 07-09-2011 08:25 PM

I'm currently reading Ash By Malinda Lo, it is a teenage book, and I only picked it up because it's my name and I liked the cover, but it is a bit too childish for me. I will finish it, but it's not a book I would recommend except for you teens which is whom it's aimed at so I shouldn't complain!

Dreaming. 07-09-2011 10:11 PM

Reading Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut and really enjoying it so far. It's one of those classic types that I feel I should read, but I'm enjoying it too.

nowhereman 11-09-2011 04:45 AM

Just finished The Demon's Surrender, about to start Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella.

Ryn 11-09-2011 05:51 AM

About to finish The Book of Useless information. Probably going to finish Inkspell next, or start The Giver.

nowhereman 12-09-2011 09:14 AM

Just started Gone by Michael Grant. I have the three books.

The War Doctor 12-09-2011 04:08 PM

Finished my book of Philip K. Dick short stories. They were brilliant, with the exception of Sales Pitch and The Father-Thing, which I didn't really care for.

Currently reading The Complete Spike Milligan, a collection of scripts, poems, short stories and drawings by the man who influenced pretty much all modern comedy. Even his material from the 50's has aged well, and had me struggling not to burst out laughing on a crowded bus.

Folded 15-09-2011 12:30 AM

Currently reading Bear v Shark. It's a novel about a future in which televisions are omnipresent. "The old televisions had an off switch." - That's the entirety of one chapter early on. Kinda sets the tone.

It's interesting. Written a decade or so ago and it's curious to see which stuff the author got right and which stuff they got wrong. In many ways, it reads more like a novel about the internet / mobile communication than television. But it's a wonderfully written book, heavily stylised but a real page-turner.

The War Doctor 15-09-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Folded (Post 2955488)
Currently reading Bear v Shark. It's a novel about a future in which televisions are omnipresent. "The old televisions had an off switch." - That's the entirety of one chapter early on. Kinda sets the tone.

It's interesting. Written a decade or so ago and it's curious to see which stuff the author got right and which stuff they got wrong. In many ways, it reads more like a novel about the internet / mobile communication than television. But it's a wonderfully written book, heavily stylised but a real page-turner.

Who wrote it? It sounds interesting, I might check it out.

Folded 15-09-2011 08:29 PM

The Men Who Stare At Goats is a wonderful book, both hilarious and frightening. The film, which had almost nothing to do with it despite claiming "more of this is true than you'd think", was awful.

monket 16-09-2011 07:31 AM

^ I liked that movie :)

Though pretty much without fail, the book is always better.

Currently reading: Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Folded 16-09-2011 08:44 AM

^ Right, I did not get on with that at all. The constant stop-start required to go through all the footnotes, and the forced, kinda-Dickensian writing style. It just didn't sit well for me, and spoiled what was otherwise a strong story.

nowhereman 17-09-2011 12:06 AM

Just started Hunger, the second in the Gone series by Michael Grant.

MunchBox 17-09-2011 03:41 PM

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk again.

Fry 18-09-2011 07:29 PM

The Custom of the Country - Edith Wharton

The War Doctor 24-09-2011 12:52 PM

Finished The Compulsive Spike Milligan by... well, by Spike Milligan. Very funny stuff. I especially liked the extracts from his war memoirs and the According To series (The Bible According To Spike Milligan was particularly hilarious).

That said, I probably won't read it again. It's just a collection of extracts, and I'd rather have entire books.

Just started Bram Stoker's Dracula, for the RYL Book Club.

Dreaming. 25-09-2011 09:50 AM

Recently read Slaughterhouse-Five which I enjoyed. Now reading Ubik by Philip K Dick (I'm going through a bit of a sci-fi thing at the moment I think)

nowhereman 25-09-2011 09:49 PM

Finished Lies by Michael Grant, HUnger and Rage by Jackie Morse something, just started Golf Monster by Alice Cooper.

0121-Dave. 28-09-2011 10:58 AM

Bridges for modellers - L.V.Wood

nowhereman 29-09-2011 03:56 AM

You Against Me by Jenny Downham. (author of Before I Die)

Revolving Door 29-09-2011 11:11 AM

^ let me know if its good! I wasn't blown away by 'Before I Die' but am still interested in 'You Against Me'

I just finished A Voice in the Distance By Tabitha Suzuma which was very good and true to what its like living with someone with bipolar.

nowhereman 29-09-2011 11:54 PM

You're the second person who asked me to let them know lol. It was good enough, I'll pm you. I've now started Faking 19 by Alyson Noel. I read that book you're reaidng now, it was good and she's another book can[t remember the name but if you like that one you'll like her other one.

Revolving Door 30-09-2011 10:49 AM

^Thanks for the PM.

i have read her other one called A Note of Madness which was the first one and A Voice in the Distance was the follow up.

I think she has another book which is on a different subject, but can't remember anything about it.

I am now reading Dracula along with lots of other people lol.

The War Doctor 30-09-2011 04:32 PM

I'm about a third of the way through Dracula and loving it. After years of vampires being portrayed as nothing but sex gods with sharp teeth, it's so refreshing to have a legitimately scary vampire. The captain's log is particularly chilling...

one_step_closer 30-09-2011 05:39 PM

Finished The Doctor Will See you Now - Max Pemberton. About to start Harvesting the Heart - Jodi Picoult.

Revolving Door 30-09-2011 09:23 PM

^I am going to download The Doctor Will See You Now to read on the plane when I go away. Is it as good as his other books?

nowhereman 30-09-2011 10:53 PM

I need to get Dracula from my sister, probably tomorrow. I'm reading Ironside by Holly Black, a modern faerie story.

Leo Pard 30-09-2011 11:52 PM

A note of madness is amazing. So is the sequel.

Fry 01-10-2011 09:31 PM

Lingua Latina Extrema/X-Treme Latin: Unleash Your Inner Gladiator!

Sounds a bit OTT, but really just a book about latin

Risk: The Science and Politics of Fear
Dan Gardner

&

The Wisdom of Tao
Marc De Smedt

nowhereman 03-10-2011 06:08 AM

Just started Dracula for the book club.

Petrichor 03-10-2011 11:08 AM

Just finished reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It was a set book for class so i never would have just picked it up. But it was actually pretty good.The last page I nearly started to cry.

crazykat 03-10-2011 11:17 AM

Just finished reading 'Mummy told me not to tell' by Cathy Glass

crazykat 05-10-2011 01:03 PM

Am reading 'The Saddest Girl In The World' by Cathy Glass

consequential 05-10-2011 10:57 PM

beowolf for college ,translated !

Serendipity. 06-10-2011 01:06 AM

I'm reading Dracula too. And Harry Potter 6 at night because Dracula is scary! :P

Gillis--Kahn 08-10-2011 09:55 PM

I am currently reading 2 books

Postcards From the Edge by Carrie Fisher which is insanely funny and I think she should write more.

And

Between the Bridge and the River by Craig Ferguson. Also funny...who would have thought a foul mouthed scotsman turned creepy, vulgar, late night lounge entertainer would be such a great writer. :)

0121-Dave. 08-10-2011 09:59 PM

Joko's aniversary - by Roland Topor

Charmed 08-10-2011 10:34 PM

Just finished reading the first Gossip Girl book, now onto the second one.