RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

Indigo. 24-10-2015 10:49 PM

I'm re-reading Wuthering Heights for uni(which is one of my favourites, up there with the Harry Potter series, A Fine and Private Place, and I Am Not Myself These Days; oopsie I just listed all of my favourites), and I'm also reading Heart of Darkness. I'm finding it rather difficult(H.O.D.), mostly because of some of the upsetting scenes, and the endless descriptions.

Sentient Treacle 25-10-2015 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by witchy. (Post 3963845)
I'm re-reading Wuthering Heights for uni(which is one of my favourites, up there with the Harry Potter series, A Fine and Private Place, and I Am Not Myself These Days; oopsie I just listed all of my favourites), and I'm also reading Heart of Darkness. I'm finding it rather difficult(H.O.D.), mostly because of some of the upsetting scenes, and the endless descriptions.

I tried reading Wuthering Heights years ago and just could not get into it, got about halfway though, maybe I should give it another try.

I read Heart Of Darkness the other month and I found it hard to get into as well, I didn't like it much overall and it turns out I'm studying it later this year, I'm trying to be positive and thinking maybe looking deeper into it will give me a new appreciation for it.

Morpheus 25-10-2015 10:02 PM

I just finished reading the virgin suicides again, as well as the watcher in the shadows by carlos ruiz zafon and alex by pierre lemaitre.

I have not decided what to read next but probably some fantasy.

Indigo. 27-10-2015 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentient Treacle (Post 3964008)
I tried reading Wuthering Heights years ago and just could not get into it, got about halfway though, maybe I should give it another try.

I read Heart Of Darkness the other month and I found it hard to get into as well, I didn't like it much overall and it turns out I'm studying it later this year, I'm trying to be positive and thinking maybe looking deeper into it will give me a new appreciation for it.

Hey :)

I adore Wuthering Heights, the characters are well defined, and the narrative voice can be very witty and ironic and I found it easy to read. It's also interesting from a psychological perspective, etc. And Heathcliff's character us fantastic for so many reasons I cannot even...Maybe you could try to read it again, see if you could get into it at all this time around.

As for Heart Of Darkness, we're going to be studying it for the next couple of weeks and I am still on page ~20. Scenes of slavery really upset me, and my concentration is poor. There's a lot of criticism about it revolving around racism, and one of my lecturers told me an interesting thing, that there's this theory it might have actually been an attempt to expose the racist views of *white* people in the *European* colonialist era. And to be honest, even if it's just a blatantly racist text, which clashes with everything I have ever believed in, the only way I can comment on that/properly analyse it is after I've read it.

GambitC13 27-10-2015 08:12 PM

I've been struggling recently, and have found it hard to read which breaks my heart. So am re reading the Harry Potter books from the beginning.

gothicfairy 01-11-2015 03:52 PM

I'm reading Blackfoot Messiah by William Johnstone. My boyfriend recommended it. It's a western which is new for me but it's also historical fiction which has been a big interest of mine lately.

EyelinerAndCigarettes 01-11-2015 04:22 PM

I'm currently reading Room by Emma Donoghue, So far I've laughed, Cried & screamed at the book. Its one of the best I've read in a long time.

mikey 04-11-2015 08:52 PM

I'm reading A Man Called Ove by Frederik Backman. It's brilliant and an easy read which is good because I'm struggling to concentrate.

Morpheus 05-11-2015 05:55 PM

Crooked little vein by warren ellis. He is one of my all time favourite comic book/graphic novel writers.

Indigo. 16-11-2015 01:44 AM

I have stuff to read for uni, but instead I am re-reading I Am Not Myself These Days, because, quite frankly, I am not!

zombiehunter 16-11-2015 10:00 AM

I finished reading Lanark by Alisdair Grey and now I'm making another attempt at reading children of dune by Frank Herbert which is the third book in his dune series.

ShootingForTheStars 17-11-2015 10:46 PM

I'm reading Eeny Meeny by M. J. Arlidge and Binge by Tyler Oakley

Devil Girl 17-11-2015 11:35 PM

Vampire academy by Richelle mead

Serendipity. 19-11-2015 12:54 AM

'Dark Places' - Gillian Flynn. It's good, but not can't-put-it-down-good. It's taking me forever to get through it!

Devil Girl 19-11-2015 01:48 AM

Listening to Playlist for the Dead By Michelle Folkoff

everdeenkatniss257 19-11-2015 01:22 PM

I just reading now The Pilgrimís Progress by John Bunyan (1678)

Really onterested book everyone pls read this book one time.

nowhereman 20-11-2015 04:56 PM

Vampire Kisses series, by Ellen Schreiber.

Indigo. 27-11-2015 09:18 PM

I'm still reading The Wasp Factory, for uni. It's very frustrating because I haven't been able to focus properly, so it's been taking AAAAGES to read anything...

Too Shy 12-12-2015 10:25 PM

I am reading 'Every Time A Bell Rings'. It's very good, very Christmassy, based on 'It's A Wonderful Life'. :)

Petrichor 12-12-2015 11:21 PM

Currently I am reading Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Mass. I know everyone has been raving about this series and the more of the book I read the more I like it, but I'm just not blown away by it. Maybe I'm just expecting too much, because the last book I read was outstanding.