RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

clear_skies 14-12-2010 10:33 AM

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows...again :P

one_step_closer 16-12-2010 05:41 PM

Down Among the Dead Men - Michelle Williams.

Serendipity. 16-12-2010 06:28 PM

I was reading 'The Unbearable Lightness of Scones' by Alexander McCall Smith, which is lovely - but I accidentally returned it to the library!

Also trying to read 'Atonement' but haven't managed to get into it yet.

Dreaming. 18-12-2010 04:08 PM

Flem, totally and utterly impressed with the sheer number of books you're reading :)
Any absolute gems among them?

I'm on A Thousand Splendid Suns at the moment - after that I think I'll move on to either White Teeth by Zadie Smith or something else :P

Fry 19-12-2010 02:06 AM

I've nearly finished War & Peace.
Got Sense and Sensibility to read next :]

makedamnsure 22-12-2010 12:13 PM

Brief History of TIme - Stephen Hawking

It makes me sound intelligent but actually its really really easy to read, and quite funny too. Though I doubt even Stephen Hawking can ever make me understand physics properly.

Leo Pard 23-12-2010 12:57 AM

Jo, Poppy Shakespeare is really good does help a bit if you saw it on TV but it is on 4OD, if you want like diary kind of things Blood Sweat and Teat and More Blood More Sweat and Another Cup of Tea are paramedics diary's that are brilliant, both by the same guy.
In Stitches is another diary but of an A & E doctor and that is brilliant too!
Moab is my Washpot is good but that's because I'm a sucker for Stephen Fry :P
Girl, interrupted is also good, a deffinate if you've seen the film too!

Dreaming. 23-12-2010 02:15 AM

Oh oh oh. I'm so pleased with your recommendations! Thank you. But also, I've asked for Blood, Sweat and Tea and Moab is my Washpot (a lot of my friends prefer it to The Fry Chronicles) for xmas, so that's very exciting. will keep an eye out for Poppy Shakespeare and Girl, Interrupted - I broke of a bit of a lifetime rule on the latter, that I wouldn't watch a film before I read the book. But def sounds interesting, especially as I did love the film.

Thank you :)

I'm currently reading Engleby, but I'm only about three chapters away from finishing it. God, I love commuting - as much as anything else, it gives me an opportunity to read!

Winchester Angel 23-12-2010 03:02 AM

First off I love to read lol so here goes:

Recently finished reading:
True Blood Book 1 (Dead Until Dark)
Kissed by an Angel (this has a very very moving story).
Twilight (for the millionth time)

Currently Reading
True Blood Book 2 (living Dead in Dallas)
Vampire Diaries The Awakening (for the millionth time)
Brendan Behan's New York
Jack Kerouac - On the Road
One Thousand Days Of Solitude
Speak

Books I have Waiting to be read:
The Second Book Of General Ignorance
John Barrowman - I am what I am
Shadows
Juliet
Me and Mr Darcy
Garden Spells
Ghost Town
Stefans Diaries
The entire Roald Dahl Collection
Edgar Allan Poe Complete Collection
The complete Canterbury Tales
and Tenyson's Legends of King Arthur.

There are probably more but they are the ones I can think of

Fry 23-12-2010 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jashin (Post 2606030)
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, but in Finnish to help me practice.

Makes absolutely no sense to me at all...

Ahahahaha

nowhereman 23-12-2010 07:19 AM

Just finished Darren Shan Birth of a Killer.

Gonny 26-12-2010 11:06 AM

I'm almost done with The Plot Against America by Phillip Roth. I'm about halfway through La Cloche de Detresse, or The Bell Jar in French. I'm also slowly but surely making my way through Victor Hugo's Contemplations, in the original French.

JumpinJackFlash 27-12-2010 07:16 PM

I got me a Kindle. I'm 75% of the way through The Virgin Suicides.
The movie sucked so I kinda have to read the book now.

Hobbes 27-12-2010 08:08 PM

im reading Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (havent really got into it yet) and The Interrogative Mood: A Novel? by Padgett Powell (kinda weird but intriguing)

risenfromperdition 27-12-2010 08:26 PM

I just read the white queen by phillipa gregory (she wrote the other boleyn girl) and it was gooood. About the war of roses. And i usually dont like historical fiction lol

cowgirl_2418 27-12-2010 09:18 PM

I just read 'The Daughters' ...it was a pretty good book too. I plan to read the rest of the series now.

The One Who 27-12-2010 10:39 PM

Just finished re-reading The Chronicles of Narnia. They are fairly enjoyable, if you don't mind the religion, bad pacing and the older, proper English.

Next up will be some Terry Pratchett, I think.

sweepingly 29-12-2010 07:11 AM

I'm reading Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk for the nth time, a couple of Discworld books and Kafka On The Shore by Haruki Murakami.

monket 29-12-2010 08:13 PM

Just finished Battle Pope: Genesis (ok, graphic novel, not book.)

Still reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix, Sandman: World's End (more comics!), and The Boy With The Cuckoo Clock Heart by Mathias Malzieu

bethrenea 29-12-2010 09:56 PM

I just started reading Gone to the Crazies by Alison Weaver again. Also once I get it I'll be reading John Dies at the End by David Wong. Super excited about that one.