RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

beautiful&dying 10-03-2009 04:22 PM

I've read both Middlesex and House of Leaves and can tell you they're both totally worth the time :)
xxxxxx

shieldworld 10-03-2009 04:36 PM

Watchmen ;) For the third time round.

one_step_closer 10-03-2009 08:44 PM

Nightmares and Dreamscapes - Stephen King

Dreaming. 10-03-2009 09:24 PM

I'm working my way through Middlesex. As I say, it's a fantastic book... It's just taking so much time! I bought Virgin Suicides today in Oxfam, in the hope that it'll speed me up. I've still got another three Seb Falkes books I want to read, plus I bought two other books. And I want to re-read "If nobody speaks of remarkable things" by Jon McGregory (possibly?) and Lord of the Flies again. And I've got a Wittgenstein and somebody elses book to read at some point. And I need to consider uni work at some point!

PrincessVegeta_x 11-03-2009 12:51 AM

I'm reading Killers Of The Dawn by Darren Shan. Just decided to read 'The Saga' all over again. The series has twelve books and I've just started this one... it's the ninth book! I've read the rest of them in less than three days.

I'm also attempting to read a William Shakespeare play (my dad has the complete collection in a big leather-bound book), Macbeth, but I'm finding it really hard. My brain and old English do NOT mix well!

Yeah, I love books. Can you tell?
:tongue2:

silverfaerychild 11-03-2009 02:24 AM

impulse by ellen hopkins

then after that one a manga novel called "GunGrave" simailar to Trigun

its the first volume

blondiebear 11-03-2009 07:10 AM

A trashy romance novel, light reading. Junk food for my brain. I'm waiting for a couple of books on loan between libraries though.

Long*Past 11-03-2009 08:05 AM

I just finished "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, and I"m about to get started on "Helen of Troy" by... I can't remember the author, and I don't want to go get the book, but "To Kill a Mockingbird" was amazing, powerful, emotional, and stunning. I'd recomend it to anyone. Perhaps with a PG13 rating... due to violence and subject matter.

Long*Past 11-03-2009 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayteewalker (Post 1477901)
I'm also attempting to read a William Shakespeare play (my dad has the complete collection in a big leather-bound book), Macbeth, but I'm finding it really hard. My brain and old English do NOT mix well!

Yeah, I love books. Can you tell?
:tongue2:

Ah, once you get past the language barrier, the story is amazing. I know how it is. I had to try it like four times before I could get past the language bit.
Have you read Romeo and Juliet? The story is really so lovely; horribly grusome and tragic, but lovely. If you haven't read it, try reading it from the end (if you already know the story, which I'm guessing you do), the very last few scenes, because they help you to understand a little of where the story goes, so you can focus more on figuring out what the words mean. Haha.
Anyway... I goes now... :-)

pink_lemonade 11-03-2009 11:08 AM

just read the twilight series which...frustrated me. hmm
reading 'he's just not that into you'. thought it was time for some light hearted humour.
im about to read 'sense and sensibility'. can't get enough of jane austin!

linder surprise 11-03-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreaming. (Post 1477275)
I'm working my way through Middlesex. As I say, it's a fantastic book... It's just taking so much time! I bought Virgin Suicides today in Oxfam, in the hope that it'll speed me up. I've still got another three Seb Falkes books I want to read, plus I bought two other books. And I want to re-read "If nobody speaks of remarkable things" by Jon McGregory (possibly?) and Lord of the Flies again. And I've got a Wittgenstein and somebody elses book to read at some point. And I need to consider uni work at some point!

wowee, youve certainly got enough.

i think i'll read lolita next.

also as a sidenote: did anyone ever read the virginia woolf book for the ryl book club? i only remembered as i returned the book last week to the library.. unread.

Field Of Paper Flowers 11-03-2009 03:10 PM

Ordered Marley & Me yesterday and it's on it's way to me now so I'll be reading that soon! =D

one_step_closer 11-03-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linder surprise (Post 1478844)
did anyone ever read the virginia woolf book for the ryl book club? i only remembered as i returned the book last week to the library.. unread.

Nope, I didn't think i'd enjoy that book.

Spoons 11-03-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linder surprise (Post 1478844)
wowee, youve certainly got enough.

i think i'll read lolita next.

also as a sidenote: did anyone ever read the virginia woolf book for the ryl book club? i only remembered as i returned the book last week to the library.. unread.

ive read like 5 pages, i will read it, ive just been busy

one_step_closer 13-03-2009 12:02 PM

Tales of Beadle the Bard - J. K. Rowling

one_step_closer 13-03-2009 05:21 PM

Beat Depression and Reclaim Your Life - Marjorie Wallace and Alexandra Massey

Pandora's Box - Giselle Green

momo432 13-03-2009 06:18 PM

reading...

1984 again, i love it!!
and a jodi picoult one... can't remember which 1!

evan 13-03-2009 06:45 PM

i just finished the secret life of bees by sue monk kidd, and i'm looking to borrow a copy of a beautiful mind by sylvia nasar from my library to read.

the secret life of bees was just wonderful. i watched the movie right after i finished the book, they were both so beautiful. i'd recommend it to anyone.

Spoons 13-03-2009 06:56 PM

im reading watchmen

and

Risk: the science and politics of fear- Dan Gardner

both for fun

tigris 13-03-2009 09:20 PM

I'm reading Anna Karenina (by Tolstoy) at the moment.... It's so good once you get into it! This is like the 4th or 5th time I started it, but the only time I've got beyond the first 100 pages... I'm like 2/3 of the way through now.

Then I've got One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (Ken Kesey) lined up for my next one.