RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What book are you reading or just read? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1850)

the_dead_romantic 17-10-2008 11:11 PM

some random manga

Useless Information 101 18-10-2008 03:16 AM

Im reading the last book in the vampire chronicles about Lestat...Memnoch the devil. Just the premise of it sounds like rice is jumping the shark but I have to finish the series.

And I needed a vampire fix anyway hahaha

one_step_closer 18-10-2008 11:03 AM

Vanishing Acts - Jodi Picoult

~ Mandy ~ 18-10-2008 07:04 PM

The Hitman Diaries - Danny King.

Siouxsie 18-10-2008 07:07 PM

Sara's Face - Melvin Burgess

The War Doctor 18-10-2008 07:20 PM

I just finished readin The Lord Of The Rings by JRR Tolkien, it was the first time I read the whole thing. I actually felt sad when I finished it, not just because of the sad ending, but because I'd come to the end of the greatest story ever told.

At the moment I'm reading The Dark Tower-Volume VII by Stephen King... and once again I'm saddened by the knowledge that I'll soon finish yet another truly epic story.

sherlock holmes 19-10-2008 09:15 PM

Twilight <3

Kitsch 20-10-2008 05:58 PM

I just last night finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, by Ken Kesey. It's my new favourite book! Strangely enough, all of the books I've read lately have become my new favourite book, but this was particularly amazing. I've also recently finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky, and Girl, Interrupted, by Susanna Kaysen. I recommend them all to anybody interested in the line between sane and insane, and finding an identity in the case of Perks.

A friend lent me The Interpretation of Murder, by Jed Rubenfeld, today. I love books based on psychology.

linder surprise 20-10-2008 10:30 PM

ohhhh i bought so many books recently! like, ten. but some were for uni.
i bought perks of being a wallflower, nobody belongs here more than you (miranda july), the bloody chamber (angela carter), the complete fairy tales (the brothers grimm), the almost moon (alice sebold), doctor corpernicus (john banville), the periodic table (primo levis) & the true history of the kelly gang (peter carey).
now, reading them.. that's a whole 'nother story..

Kitsch 20-10-2008 11:12 PM

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you! Which are you reading first? Let us know what you think when you finish them :-)

linder surprise 21-10-2008 12:36 AM

well i am reading doctor corpernicus right now. or well i started it on the train home today. it is a semi-fictional biography of a real scientist who i guess was called doctor corpernicus. he "invented" the solar system as we know it today, as in he discovered/named it. it was obviously already there.

rustedchains 21-10-2008 04:03 AM

I (re)read Catalyst and then read Twisted by Laure Halse Anderson. Catalyst is one of my favorite books ever.

Kitsch 21-10-2008 11:34 AM

rustedchains: Who is Catalyst by? I'm always looking for new books to read :)

linder: That actually sounds very interesting. I'm going to have a list of books to read spanning the length of Britain, at this rate XD

Zedebee 21-10-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by englishwitch (Post 1145201)
And I'm just starting Deception Point by Dan Brown, I'm still only the first couple of chapters so it's too early to know if it's a good read or not.

From what I remember it really is a good read.

I finished Nothing to fear by Karen Rose [absolutely amazing] and Cut by Cathy Glass [interesting to say the least].

I want something good to read next. Anybody recommend anything? I'm pretty open to most genres apart from science-fictiony type stuff.

Spoons 21-10-2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linder surprise (Post 1165256)
ohhhh i bought so many books recently! like, ten. but some were for uni.
i bought perks of being a wallflower, nobody belongs here more than you (miranda july), the bloody chamber (angela carter), the complete fairy tales (the brothers grimm), the almost moon (alice sebold), doctor corpernicus (john banville), the periodic table (primo levis) & the true history of the kelly gang (peter carey).
now, reading them.. that's a whole 'nother story..

i love primo levis, the books ive read of his have been amazing. I havent read the periodic table though, i that a uni book or one for pleasure?

If this is a man, made me cry, it was a really emotional read. sometimes though due to the content really hard to read.

Ive been debating to buy that miranda july book for ages, its always in the waterstones sale and everytime i go in there i pick it up and read the blurb. let us know if its any good?

Recently i have bought

Mother Night- Kurt Vonnegut
God bless you, Dr Kevorkian- Kurt Vonnegut
Insomnia- Stephen King
Vernon god little- DBC Pierre
Holes- Louis Sachar
The war in heaven- Kent Nussey
Snow is silent- Benjamin Prado

oxfam book shop in town is a gold mine :)

Currently reading- kiss me judas

roiben 21-10-2008 05:01 PM

The Ninth Circle, by Alex Bell (I think)

linder surprise 21-10-2008 09:09 PM

amy i am glad to hear he's a good writer because that's a uni book.
the miranda july book, i hadn't even heard of her before i watched me you & everyone we know. and i remembered that lucy/gypseeroselee has it listed as one of her favourite books on facebook haha, so i bought it. it was on amazon sale.
&&&. mother night is so fantastic! i read it in about two days this summer. really recommend.

Stellata 21-10-2008 09:11 PM

I've just finished "A Place Called Here" by Cecilia Aherne. Excellent book.

I'm now on a saga by Ruth Hamilton - "The Judge's Daughter".

Becca 21-10-2008 09:16 PM

I'm reading 'A Walk with Jane Austen' which is a biography/memoir combined of a woman from America who comes to England and travels around various places that Jane stayed in. I expected to not like it very much but I'm really enjoying it.

Zedebee 21-10-2008 09:29 PM

Katie, that book really is excellent. Have you read any of her other books?