RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Starbucks and their stupid sizes (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93047)

Nergal 13-04-2009 01:06 AM

Starbucks and their stupid sizes
 
Employee: Welcome to Starbucks. What will you want today?
Me: Mmmh, I'll have a small frappucino, I guess
Employee: A tall frappucino coming right up
Me: No!! I said "small", not "tall"
Employee: Here we call the small sizes "tall"
Me: Isn't "tall" kind of like the opposite of "small"
Employee: *chuckles*
Me: *sighs*

Later I found out that the medium sizes are called "Grande" (spanish for "big") and the large sizes are called "Venti" (I'm not sure but I think it means "twenty" in either french or italian). What happened to the good old days when coffee stores used direct, truthful names (small, medium, large) for their sizes, instead of vague, deceitful names? Also, $3.70 for a pretty average "tall" frappucino is a bit too much. I don't know how the hell this franchise became so successful.

And that was my first experience buying coffee at a Starbucks

MammaMia 13-04-2009 01:13 AM

Oh I love their stuipd sizes.

Venti must be spanish because it's not french :P

Crysainta 13-04-2009 01:18 AM

Venti isn't Spanish (says the Spanish teacher).

Casper_Fading 13-04-2009 01:21 AM

Venti is italian

akita 13-04-2009 01:24 AM

All the sizes of everything are stupid.

Crysainta 13-04-2009 01:41 AM

Let's just shorten that to, "everything is stupid."

ksdfjhlksajf 13-04-2009 02:18 AM

Hahahhaaha this brings back a memory of a skit I wrote for my scriptwriting class

Isoverity 13-04-2009 03:42 AM

I have been to Starbucks 2 times in my life and felt creeped out each time. It's so precious and fake there. In the US I'll take Dunking Donuts anyday - even if I cant get a caffelattepoopimaximus and drink it next to baby seal pics

Stress Free Anxiety 13-04-2009 04:10 AM

There is only one starbucks I like. It's tiny, about three parking lots and one main highway away from the "main" starbucks in the mall, and infinitely more delicious. The people are just awesome, there's never more than like three small groups sitting there, and if you "order wrong" they don't correct you. The coffee people are ALWAYS creating these new drinks that are off menu when you ask for a recommendation, and have no problem making a drink to order. In fact, they're better than our local coffee shops lol. Go to any other starbucks in town, though, and it tastes like bottom of the pot, end of the day coffee and the service is terrible.

Crumple... 13-04-2009 04:12 AM

THANKYOU.
People please stop giving Starbucks your hard earned money. You're getting served a SH-T coffee for such an inflated price, it's not worth it. Their espresso is crap, they use too much milk. Too much horribly steamed milk, eugh. AND they use bean to cup machines meaning their workers don't do a thing but press a ****ing button, it's a slap in the face of all actual baristi that Starbucks workers share the same title. ARGH!

Also, venti may mean 20 because I'm sure their venti mugs are 20 oz (Who needs that much *****?!)

Starbucks. Is. Infuriating.

Isoverity 13-04-2009 04:13 AM

Lol Fi would know ze truths of ze bucks

Crumple... 13-04-2009 04:18 AM

One woman came into my cafe and asked for a "tall latte" I nearly bit her ****ing face off.

Oh and another came in asking about a chai tea latte thing starbucks do and saying it's amazing and I also wanted to bite her face, but it was obvious she didn't wash very often so I would've settled for a punch or kick in the tits. However I ended up politey reminding her we're a real coffee shop and we actually care about the quality of the drinks we serve.

SeriouslyIknowIneedtoshutupaboutStarbucksbutthere' ssomethinginsidemethatkeepsmyrantinggoing.
>_<

Stress Free Anxiety 13-04-2009 04:21 AM

Fi - if you made coffee here, I'd totally come get it from you :) Our local shops are crap, I honestly brew a better cup of coffee at home then they do, hence the reason I end up at the singular good starbucks >.<

Underjoyed 13-04-2009 04:28 AM

Yeah, I never understood how tall = small. And even the smallest one is huge.

I never go there anyway, unless its the only place open. The small cafes are much better than the chain stores, quality and price-wise :)

Crumple... 13-04-2009 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stress Free Anxiety (Post 1548662)
Fi - if you made coffee here, I'd totally come get it from you :) Our local shops are crap, I honestly brew a better cup of coffee at home then they do, hence the reason I end up at the singular good starbucks >.<

If you're out and there's nowhere good to go, and you've no way of getting home but you MUST have coffee... That is the ONLY time it is acceptable to go to Starbucks (Or Costa or Nero)

ksdfjhlksajf 13-04-2009 05:13 AM

I only go to Starbucks when I have gift cards there.

And I secretly am in love with their Peppermint White Chocolate Mochas with no whipped cream, even though I despise people that order things with ridiculous names / lengths.

~invisible~girl~ 13-04-2009 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumple... (Post 1548658)
Oh and another came in asking about a chai tea latte thing starbucks do and saying it's amazing and I also wanted to bite her face, but it was obvious she didn't wash very often so I would've settled for a punch or kick in the tits. However I ended up politey reminding her we're a real coffee shop and we actually care about the quality of the drinks we serve.

Chai tea lattes aren't actually unique to Starbucks -- loads of other coffee shops do them as well, and it's just chai tea with lots of milk (and both chai tea and lattes are totally legitimate, non-Starbucks drinks) -- so I don't see what's wrong with asking about a chai latte in a real coffee shop. Also, as much as I hate Starbucks overall (I don't drink coffee, but even their pastries and such are disgusting), I really quite like their chai lattes, and although I've tried them at a few coffee shops, the only other place I've had a chai latte that was even drinkable, let alone good, was at a Buddhist mediation retreat.

KittenEyes 13-04-2009 05:31 AM

I love Starbucks! Well I work there too, lol. I really don't know why thye do all the weird little things they do, but I like the coffee and I get paid. :P

Crumple... 13-04-2009 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~invisible~girl~ (Post 1548748)
Chai tea lattes aren't actually unique to Starbucks -- loads of other coffee shops do them as well, and it's just chai tea with lots of milk (and both chai tea and lattes are totally legitimate, non-Starbucks drinks) -- so I don't see what's wrong with asking about a chai latte in a real coffee shop.

Yes, I know that.And because she was all "Starbucks do this chai tea latte, is was marvellous! Why don't YOU do those things?" to which I replied "Well, we generally don't take any tips from Starbucks, seen as they are on a whole crap, and we like to serve good quality drinks" Or something of that nature, anyway.
Why would I even mention it if she didn't mention Starbucks?

:/

Nergal 13-04-2009 05:54 AM

KittenEyes, you should make a difference

Next time someone asks for a "grande" cup of coffee, correct them and tell them to ask for a medium cup of coffee. That will surely freak them out

Snow White. 13-04-2009 06:06 AM

Starbucks went broke here in Australia &, in Victoria, had to close down all stores but one.

Therefore, we are completely win.
Fi, come visit.
It's beautiful.

Crumple... 13-04-2009 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimee in Wonderland (Post 1548801)
Starbucks went broke here in Australia &, in Victoria, had to close down all stores but one.

Therefore, we are completely win.
Fi, come visit.
It's beautiful.

A wave of joy, jealousy and hope just ran through me.
I could cry.

Australia has it down, yo.

Snow White. 13-04-2009 06:13 AM

:D



That made me smile.

~invisible~girl~ 13-04-2009 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumple... (Post 1548779)
Yes, I know that.And because she was all "Starbucks do this chai tea latte, is was marvellous! Why don't YOU do those things?" to which I replied "Well, we generally don't take any tips from Starbucks, seen as they are on a whole crap, and we like to serve good quality drinks" Or something of that nature, anyway.
Why would I even mention it if she didn't mention Starbucks?

You left off the second part of what I said though. Not only are chai lattes a legitimate drink that plenty of coffee shops do serve, but the only places I've found even halfway decent ones are Starbucks and at a mediation retreat where it was done very traditionally and such (and basically is what chai tea latte is supposed to be), so I really think that it's totally legitimate for her to mention Starbucks in that context...

Crumple... 13-04-2009 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~invisible~girl~ (Post 1548848)
You left off the second part of what I said though. Not only are chai lattes a legitimate drink that plenty of coffee shops do serve, but the only places I've found even halfway decent ones are Starbucks and at a mediation retreat where it was done very traditionally and such (and basically is what chai tea latte is supposed to be), so I really think that it's totally legitimate for her to mention Starbucks in that context...

Are you reading what I'm saying? Clearly not. Also, she's not you, so I don't care if you liked it or not.
She went on about how amazing Starbucks is, I corrected her. Simple. As.

~invisible~girl~ 13-04-2009 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumple... (Post 1548849)
Are you reading what I'm saying? Clearly not. Also, she's not you, so I don't care if you liked it or not.
She went on about how amazing Starbucks is, I corrected her. Simple. As.

I am reading what you're saying. And you've been saying she said Starbucks chai lattes are amazing, not Starbucks in general. I happen to think that Starbucks chai lattes are actually quite good, and as I've explained, I do know what chai lattes are supposed to be like, and hence I don't agree with you that she was wrong about that.

As to whether or not I like their chai lattes being irrelevant, I happen to think it's quite relevant to whether I agree with your original point that what she said was outrageous.

Cathy 13-04-2009 09:46 AM

i've never bought anything from Starbucks. i would feel so stupid in case i said the wrong thing.
it's like, we're an English speaking country, make the names of the drinks English/understandable! Starbucks/Nero/Costa all make me feel ill when i'm inside them. urghhh. i'm a sucker for sweet little coffee shops with actual drinks.

Feel_Good_inc. 13-04-2009 10:33 AM

Venti is a made up word, made to sound italian and fancy. Next time you're in starbucks check it out, next to venti is a copyright symbol. Copyright starbucks. they made it up

Feel_Good_inc. 13-04-2009 10:34 AM

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad8DUB0XkJA"]YouTube - Foamy - Small, medium, large[/ame]

***CONTAINS SWEARING***

The One Who 13-04-2009 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by englishwitch (Post 1549024)
Venti is a made up word, made to sound italian and fancy. Next time you're in starbucks check it out, next to venti is a copyright symbol. Copyright starbucks. they made it up

Yeah, that's what I thought too. If I'm in Starbucks (usually to kill some time) then I just ask for small or medium, none of this tall or grande nonsense.

Dreaming. 13-04-2009 10:43 AM

I'm a Starbucks fan, and I'm not ashamed to admit it :P
It's the only place that I know of that serves drinks with s/f vanilla syrup, and that stuff is god.

Rawrk 13-04-2009 11:15 AM

FOAMY <3.

Alone and Scared 13-04-2009 11:28 AM

I like Costa Coffee, never been in starbucks..... Well, actually I have but I didn't want anything so I just sat there......

I like the smoothie frozen drinks in Costa, but I can't pronounce them, so I always say can I have one of the smoothie frozen thingys please..... =)

lolly_x 13-04-2009 11:32 AM

sorry i love starbucks myself

Caramel cream blended ice
chocolate cream blended ice
hazelnut hot chocolate

all to die for.

I just go small aswell

lamestate 13-04-2009 11:40 AM

I made the mistake of going into Costa and asking for a regular americano (thinking this would mean a small). They gave me a medium one. It was enormous. Like a soup bowl full of black coffee. I just sat and stared at it for ages - just thinking "how the hell am I going to drink all that?"

Alone and Scared 13-04-2009 11:45 AM

^ Lol!!

They always ask me about normal and everything, and I'm like SMALL!

Dreaming. 13-04-2009 12:08 PM

Y'see, I drink coffee like water, so the sizes don't bother me at all. In fact, I nearly always get at least a medium. Yum <3

Spoons 13-04-2009 12:25 PM

ive only been to starbucks once and it was disgusting, but i cant remember what i had. i just said surprise me.

StaceyBee 13-04-2009 12:35 PM

The last time I went to Starbucks, I wasted like £4.50 on two drinks
I think the chocolate powder and that nutmeg stuff should be marked clearer, my stepdad thought he was putting chocolate in his cappucino or something and it turned out it was nutmeg and he refused to drink it
I made him drink it cos I'm not prepared to spend that much money on something that isn't even gonna be drunk
I'm never going there again, it's a rip off

what_the? 13-04-2009 12:36 PM

I have a starbucks mug that was acquired at the last Birmingham meet.

I don't mind it, but I do think it's overpriced, and we make better coffee at work.

Kuwairo 13-04-2009 12:36 PM

I like Starbucks :)
Same reason as Dreaming, it's the only place that seems to have s/f syrup. And their hazelnut lattes are yummy. And I ask for small. not tall. That sounds silly.

extreme turbulance 13-04-2009 12:41 PM

I hate starbucks. It is expensive and completely overrated and there food is crap too!

Dreaming. 13-04-2009 12:53 PM

I don't think Starbucks is that overpriced? There's nowhere that I know of in the area that'd do coffee cheaper, at least, that tastes nice and does it cheaper. £2.00 for a coffee - that expensive?

snowflake 13-04-2009 02:05 PM

i'm not really a fan of starbucks or costa. Nearby we have a coffee republic place which is infinitely better in my opinion. :)

flying[star] 13-04-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nergal (Post 1548296)
Employee: Welcome to Starbucks. What will you want today?
Me: Mmmh, I'll have a small frappucino, I guess
Employee: A tall frappucino coming right up
Me: No!! I said "small", not "tall"
Employee: Here we call the small sizes "tall"
Me: Isn't "tall" kind of like the opposite of "small"
Employee: *chuckles*
Me: *sighs*

Later I found out that the medium sizes are called "Grande" (spanish for "big") and the large sizes are called "Venti" (I'm not sure but I think it means "twenty" in either french or italian). What happened to the good old days when coffee stores used direct, truthful names (small, medium, large) for their sizes, instead of vague, deceitful names? Also, $3.70 for a pretty average "tall" frappucino is a bit too much. I don't know how the hell this franchise became so successful.

And that was my first experience buying coffee at a Starbucks

venti has to b e italian

and were you awtching.. this
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIk9bk-_xmc&feature=related"]YouTube - Small, Medium, Large[/ame]

OutOfTheWoods11 13-04-2009 02:40 PM

*Pats Fi* :-p

Silly pseudo-classy coffee shops are silly.
Silly sizes of beverages in afforementioned silly pseudo-classy coffee shops are also silly.

Intaytia 13-04-2009 03:58 PM

=\ am i the only one who didn't inderstand a word of what the cat-thing in the video said?
i've never been to Starbucks and never will for my own coffee as i don't like it =]

Lucius. 13-04-2009 04:15 PM

I adore Starbucks. I always get a Caramel Macciato (sp?). But, for some reason, despite the fact I know how to pronounce it, I always lose that ability whenever I come to tell the employee what I want >.<

Devil Girl 13-04-2009 04:38 PM

I like starbucks. Not as fussed for Costa. Like Beanscene, and various other coffee places around town (St andrews has a lot of coffee places!!!)

I am usually sugar free vanilla skinny vanilla latte, or sugar free skinny caramel machiatto....or a skinny hot chocolate!

I just go where the mood takes me really!

Devil x

x-dying-inside-x 13-04-2009 04:47 PM

we have a starbucks bit at work, the only reason i use it is because the coffee up stairs in crap.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.