RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How did people come up with names for things... (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91215)

Casper_Fading 29-03-2009 10:10 PM

How did people come up with names for things...
 
Rhubarb? Who came up with Rhubarb??? I mean... did they just look at and go... hmmmm that looks like a rhubarb! Pumpkin.... corn... peas... how? Who comes up with these names?!?!?!?!

SweetLemonSour 29-03-2009 10:12 PM

Lol, i wonder this too
when i was little, i thought that someone saw like, a Tree, thought of the name, then went to the police station, and said, "i have called this a tree"
aahahhaah

Sometimes Crazy 29-03-2009 10:12 PM

RHUUUUUUUUUU-BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARB.

I don't know.

JumpinJackFlash 29-03-2009 10:12 PM

Who discovered the plant probably.

Casper_Fading 29-03-2009 10:16 PM

But how do you name it? How do you see something and going "that is Rhubarb!" Hoooow?

linder surprise 29-03-2009 11:04 PM

god did.

tigris 29-03-2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miowable (Post 1519026)
Lol, i wonder this too
when i was little, i thought that someone saw like, a Tree, thought of the name, then went to the police station, and said, "i have called this a tree"
aahahhaah

OMG I used to think this as well, I just didn't get how it would work otherwise at all!

But then I did Latin and started learning that words have roots from other words and stuff, so now I get it a bit more. Still a really weird thought!

I.Heart.And 29-03-2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miowable (Post 1519026)
Lol, i wonder this too
when i was little, i thought that someone saw like, a Tree, thought of the name, then went to the police station, and said, "i have called this a tree"
aahahhaah

Ha ha that's so cute..but why the police station? :D

SweetLemonSour 29-03-2009 11:40 PM

loool i dont know
i thought the police were in charge of everything..
i recall telling one to arrest a kid who dropped a sweet wrapper...

The War Doctor 30-03-2009 01:37 AM

Say the word "elbow" to yourself over and over, preferably slooowly. Then ask yourself who came up with THAT.

Tuesday 30-03-2009 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob--Attorney-At-Law (Post 1519386)
Say the word "elbow" to yourself over and over, preferably slooowly. Then ask yourself who came up with THAT.

I did this and it made me giggle.

I have often contemplated the question who on earth came up with the term "hairdryer." It's just too obvious. :P

I mean, if people can name an orange an orange, and a hairdryer a hairdryer, who on earth came up with GARGOYLE? ...It sounds like gargle.

ksdfjhlksajf 30-03-2009 02:29 AM

Maybe the rhubarb named itself. Then it told someone "Hey I'm a rhubarb." Then the name stuck.

silverfaerychild 30-03-2009 02:32 AM

MAybe a magical fairy came and told em waht to say ..

The War Doctor 30-03-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuesday (Post 1519447)
I mean, if people can name an orange an orange, and a hairdryer a hairdryer, who on earth came up with GARGOYLE? ...It sounds like gargle.

Thats actually how gargoyles got their name; from the sound they make when water passes through them.

Schleier von Dunst 30-03-2009 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob--Attorney-At-Law (Post 1520369)
Thats actually how gargoyles got their name; from the sound they make when water passes through them.

serious?

*feels thick*

sherlock holmes 30-03-2009 07:21 PM

Ooh i've always wondered.

Radiator. Radiate- or. I guess thats kinda of obvious.

Tuesday 30-03-2009 08:52 PM

Well I feel stupid :P

bexidecimal 30-03-2009 09:00 PM

but even if the words came from the roots of others. ho decided they should go together and who decided those words before that?

and who the hell came up with the word merge.. it sounds like a sound not a word.. do you know what i mean? lol

Isoverity 30-03-2009 11:03 PM

"How did people come up with names for things...?"

An interesting question from someone who named themselves Jessiwuzzle!

Casper_Fading 30-03-2009 11:37 PM

hehehe! There was a cartoon when I was younger called the Wuzzles and in grade 8 my best friend started calling me wuzzle... and it's stuck! *nods*

akita 30-03-2009 11:46 PM

Interesting question Jessica.

chasing bliss 30-03-2009 11:51 PM

"c.1390, from O.Fr. rubarbe, from M.L. rheubarbarum, from Gk. rha barbaronrha "foreign rhubarb", from rha "rhubarb" (associated with Rha, ancient Scythian name of the River Volga) + barbaron, neut. of barbaros "foreign." Grown in China and Tibet, it was imported into ancient Europe by way of Russia. Spelling altered in M.L. by association with rheum. European native species so called from 1650." (etymonline.com)

So it sounds like it's named after where it comes from.

Dreaming. 31-03-2009 08:31 AM

Shakespeare.

He made up words & stuff. Or something?
:P
xx

Liar. 31-03-2009 08:34 AM

orange?!!
Was the fruit named after the colour? In which case why is a lemon not called a yellow?
Or was the colour named after the fruit? So why isnt spinach called green?

Samz13 31-03-2009 03:19 PM

I've often wonder about stuff like that.

I think 'trousers' is a weird word.

The War Doctor 31-03-2009 04:18 PM

Trousers IS a weird word.

So is "tables."

Field Of Paper Flowers 31-03-2009 04:29 PM

It's probably something to do with latin?

Casper_Fading 31-03-2009 09:40 PM

but how did they come up with that?!

Field Of Paper Flowers 31-03-2009 10:11 PM

There is such a thing as old english you know...

Palladion 31-03-2009 10:11 PM

everytime i say the word table i always think why the hell is it called that, it's such a weird word.

very interesting question i'll be suprised if anyone ever comes up with an answer for it.

i think that someone just randomly came up with a word of the top of their head then it just stuck, the word either became popular and everyone stuck with it or it was unpopular, it didn't catch on so it was renamed.
I dunno :confused:

Casper_Fading 31-03-2009 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Field Of Paper Flowers (Post 1523234)
There is such a thing as old english you know...

yes. and i studied, old english and middle english at uni. big whoop! it doesn't say how they came up with names for things!!!! Who looked at a sword and said "wow, that looks like a sword. that is what i shall call it" O.o

Casper_Fading 31-03-2009 11:32 PM

but... sword? cordial? :P ahhh humans are a strange species :P

forever_lost 01-04-2009 12:45 AM

cloud? pen? fence? building?
and what about verbs and adjectives and other kinds of words?
like who thought of the words "run" or "fetch" or "put"
or "simple" or "big" or "late"

now im starting to question every word I say lol.
and who thought of the spelling of all the words?
like why does stop have one "p" but stopping has two?
and all the other crazy spellings.
like "column" what's up with the silent "n" ?

kay, i'll stop rambling with curiosity now... :P

The War Doctor 01-04-2009 04:16 PM

Who thought "y'know, 'nife' just doesn't do this thing justice... it needs a k. Yeah, thats it, 'knife' is just RIGHT."

Who the flying f*ck decided that?

Field Of Paper Flowers 01-04-2009 05:50 PM

Plus it's not just the English language that comes up with words. Look at the word karaoke, that was invented by the Chinese/Japanese.

Rhubarb could have been invented by the Dutch for all we know!

edizzle. 02-04-2009 04:58 PM

My favorite is Fork and Spoon. Like random? Who was like I'm going to name this a Fork.

Or spatula, poodle, reptile, gravy, melon, crayon, etc.

Schleier von Dunst 02-04-2009 06:03 PM

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if red was called green and green was called red, it would completely change everything we knew!

Field Of Paper Flowers 02-04-2009 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erinnwhoaxo (Post 1526372)
My favorite is Fork and Spoon. Like random? Who was like I'm going to name this a Fork.

Or spatula, poodle, reptile, gravy, melon, crayon, etc.

Say "fork and knife" outloud. ;)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.