RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Uni student's thread. (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88044)

White Noise 05-03-2009 10:31 PM

Uni student's thread.
 
As far as I know from using the search box, this doesn't exist yet, so being me, I thought I'd create it.

As students, there is a lot we go through, but often, the unacknowledged side of uni is all that damned work, so I won't be surprised if there is a fair few of us on here. Hence this topic, erm, yeah, be studenty, you know you want to.

lydia. 05-03-2009 10:32 PM

oh hello.

what_the? 05-03-2009 10:37 PM

I have too many essays. Epic fail.

lydia. 05-03-2009 10:38 PM

word. but i have the next two weeks off to do mine (Y)

oh & over here uni is called college.

Tears and Rain 05-03-2009 10:49 PM

Work is not going well.
It's just deadline after deadline that won't be met..

White Noise 05-03-2009 10:53 PM

I've missed a week's worth of lectures, less said about that the better.

That is combined with not having started my essays, I swear my department is run by sadists who like to put everything on the same deadline.

Spoons 05-03-2009 10:55 PM

i have an essay to do.
and lots of other stuff not fun.

i want it done but i dont want to do it.

PvblikSuicide 05-03-2009 10:55 PM

uni is exciting because you get to be away from home!

Heidi Tiger 05-03-2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Noise (Post 1466385)
As far as I know from using the search box, this doesn't exist yet, so being me, I thought I'd create it.

As students, there is a lot we go through, but often, the unacknowledged side of uni is all that damned work, so I won't be surprised if there is a fair few of us on here. Hence this topic, erm, yeah, be studenty, you know you want to.


The unacknowledged side? Isn't work the whole point of going to uni?

pixiedust 05-03-2009 11:18 PM

^^^ that's what I thought Heidi but I do agree it can be a pain in the back side! I've had to ask for an extension for my essay as it's due tomorrow and I've kinda only done 300 words :/ Stupid brain not working!

what_the? 05-03-2009 11:27 PM

aaargh...... I have far too much work. so, 8,000 words for the 24th and another 6,000 for after easter. Plus, whenevr I try and write I just sound like an idiot.

White Noise 05-03-2009 11:28 PM

well, when you think about the general perception of students amongst the general public, we mess up their streets in the areas they live, we drink heavily and have loud parties and we have too much free time.

Bleeding Angel 05-03-2009 11:36 PM

yeah it pisses me off when people think thats all you do - party.

You cant do that in your final year, its far too much work to do, and so little time to do it.

Aphelion 06-03-2009 12:33 AM

I can't do that in my 1st year! I swear our timetable is the worst out of all the degrees at my university. 30 hours is just not right. Negative marking is DEFINITELY not right. 6 hour labs twice a week are just plain insanity. I have to plan about a weak ahead when I go out, and it's usually just one night after which I have to do MORE work on a bitchin' hangover.

Kuwairo 06-03-2009 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tears and Rain (Post 1466438)
Work is not going well.
It's just deadline after deadline that won't be met..


guiltyinnocence 06-03-2009 12:38 AM

^^ ouch, sounds like a lot of work
im only in 10hours a week and im struggling with just that, in 3 weeks iv attended 5 out of 30hours =S
and iv got 2 overdue essays so i can only get 40% and one that i cant even get marked cus its over two weeks late
so, yeh, im struggling quite a bit right now. i think i need to email my personal tutor and explain about my depression etc and ask my head of department for some extensions...but i feel bad asking for extensions =S
hmpf

Ingenue 06-03-2009 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphelion (Post 1466749)
I can't do that in my 1st year! I swear our timetable is the worst out of all the degrees at my university. 30 hours is just not right. Negative marking is DEFINITELY not right. 6 hour labs twice a week are just plain insanity. I have to plan about a weak ahead when I go out, and it's usually just one night after which I have to do MORE work on a bitchin' hangover.

Ouch.
And i thought i had it bad.
I don't have many hours in uni, but the amount of reading/ seminar work/ coursework/ essays i'm supposed to do without a reading week is ****ing ridiculous.

& can i just say....student loan=Gone.
It's a bad bad time.
:ermm:

Spoons 06-03-2009 12:42 AM

i have hardly any contact hours
all mine is reading and researching in own time
which means you have to be good at planning your time really
which is where i find the problem.

my planning sucks and i underestimate how long it takes to do things

Rhuben 06-03-2009 03:55 AM

Yay uni... I have to start planning my lovely dissertation "Eutrophication processes in shallow bottom lakes in the Norfolk Broads" Oh the joy.

Casper_Fading 06-03-2009 03:59 AM

i don't even know what the meeeeeeeeans!

Isoverity 06-03-2009 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphelion (Post 1466749)
I can't do that in my 1st year! I swear our timetable is the worst out of all the degrees at my university. 30 hours is just not right. Negative marking is DEFINITELY not right. 6 hour labs twice a week are just plain insanity. I have to plan about a weak ahead when I go out, and it's usually just one night after which I have to do MORE work on a bitchin' hangover.


Like nursing, I think in a degree like your they make it extra hard the first year to weed out the weak links/pretenders.

sobriquet 06-03-2009 05:50 AM

I'm only in uni 6 hours a week this term. But I do have all but one deadline this term so there's loads to do. And I found out the date and time I'm doing my presentation at the end of the year which is really scary! I have to stand up and talk about my research for 15 minutes!!! Eek!

-phoenix- 06-03-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

I can't do that in my 1st year! I swear our timetable is the worst out of all the degrees at my university. 30 hours is just not right. Negative marking is DEFINITELY not right. 6 hour labs twice a week are just plain insanity. I have to plan about a weak ahead when I go out, and it's usually just one night after which I have to do MORE work on a bitchin' hangover.
Snap...im a first year on biomedical degree n oooh do they love giving us tons of labs (15hrs a week!) Plus with formal reports, essays, lab files...it never ends. Not much time for partying :( oh well, think of by the end of 3rd year when we'll be graduating lol xXx

ksdfjhlksajf 06-03-2009 09:48 AM

We call it college over here mostly :D

I have finals coming up and a million papers/ projects.

And I spent 3 1/2 hours editing video in the computer lab, and went back and did even more work. After being in class all day. Fun.

Spoons 06-03-2009 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2muchpain2feel (Post 1467325)
I'm only in uni 6 hours a week this term. But I do have all but one deadline this term so there's loads to do. And I found out the date and time I'm doing my presentation at the end of the year which is really scary! I have to stand up and talk about my research for 15 minutes!!! Eek!

Do you go to the University of Kent?

im going to go to the library at some point to work..... i might wait till after 5 when its empty and i have a chance of finding a quiet space

Bleeding Angel 06-03-2009 02:48 PM

My dissertations on " what attitudes are there towards hyper-sexual female characters in games and how this opinon will differ between the genders"

Its just trying to do it is hard, its ment to be 10,000

The One Who 06-03-2009 02:48 PM

I have so much to do, and all for the same day! Why can't staff in the department talk to each other :(

shadow-light 06-03-2009 02:50 PM

*waves* I be a student :jumpin:

Spoons 06-03-2009 02:51 PM

*waves back*
my dissertation is a content analysis of womens magazines and discussing body image and eating disorders and stuff

i say stuff i havent actually pin pointed my actual question yet, but that is the jist of it

Bleeding Angel 06-03-2009 02:57 PM

ohh im doing a bit about that in my dissertation, and focusing on how games come into the body image equation

shadow-light 06-03-2009 02:59 PM

hmm... dissertations... got a few friends doing them at the moment... seem to basically swallow people up lol

rockaroni 06-03-2009 03:01 PM

I've just finished my last lab (and report) for this semester. Woo!

Spoons 06-03-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Angel (Post 1467768)
ohh im doing a bit about that in my dissertation, and focusing on how games come into the body image equation

theres so much information on body image and culture its great, never at a loss for sources.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow-light (Post 1467772)
hmm... dissertations... got a few friends doing them at the moment... seem to basically swallow people up lol

yes sounds about right

The One Who 06-03-2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow-light (Post 1467772)
hmm... dissertations... got a few friends doing them at the moment... seem to basically swallow people up lol

Tell me about it. Trust me to pick a topic that makes it even harder for me.

pixiedust 06-03-2009 03:33 PM

My essay was supposed to be in at 12 today - thank goodness I have a week's extension!

sobriquet 06-03-2009 05:58 PM

Spoons (sorry I don't know your name) I'm at Christ Church but wishing I'd gone to Kent - your library is huge! Ours is pitiful, and the online resources rarely work. Grrrrr!

I'm in the middle of running a research project which I have to write an 8000 word report on, and do a 15 minute presentation on. And I need to start my 4000 word essay about power and sex (all kinds of reading about S&M which is kinda fun). My tutor for that one though gets really uncomfortable talking about it which is kinda funny but makes me feel more awkward, like it's strange that I'm so comfortable talking about "whips and chains" as my tutor describes it. Lol!

Handed in an essay a couple of hours ago that was 500 words over the limit so I lied and made it only 250 above the limit (within 10%). Can I get in trouble for that? They didn't notice last time but I only took 100 words off last time. :S It was all so relevant though - I couldn't take anything else! And it was 6am when I finished and I just couldn't be bothered to think any more. Lol!

3rd year is lame. Too much like hard work. And it only gets worse from here - real life is approaching fast and I don't like it! Lol!

Spoons 06-03-2009 06:04 PM

yus kent is awesome.
although i may go to christchurch to do my masters if i do social work, but that wont be yet.

yes our library is massive but its not that great, its packed full of out of date irrelevant books and there are never enough of the book that are needed. Inquire the student newspaper had a massive bit slagging it off.

sobriquet 06-03-2009 06:24 PM

Christchurch is a nice campus - small and stuff, which makes it much harder to get lost. Lol!
Am considering applying to do my doctorate here but I might look elsewhere. I'm not sure this library could handle a doctorate! Lol!

Spoons 06-03-2009 06:28 PM

haha maybe not :p

i might head up north for my next lot of studying. ive done the south.

sobriquet 06-03-2009 07:02 PM

I was thinking of going somewhere further away but I have an awful habit of picking up other accents really quickly. But I'm awful at accents so everyone thinks I'm taking the mick! My parents call it Wandering Accent Syndrome. Lol!

Spoons 06-03-2009 08:11 PM

haha
my accent has changed since moving down here, i had a proper suffolk twang to start with, i pronounce stuff better now i guess, kent seems to be a very 'proper' area, especially canterbury.

sobriquet 06-03-2009 08:18 PM

I originally hail from Essex and apparently had an accent when I started uni. Which is not good. Hopefully that's gone now. I do still occasionally drop my h's and t's though.

Spoons 06-03-2009 09:18 PM

i apparently used to talk so fast and weird that my friend couldnt undertsand what i said i kept having to repeat every damn thing

shadow-light 06-03-2009 09:20 PM

I've never really had a "proper" accent...

thing about unis is that there are people from all over there, so you don't really interact which that many people from the area so surely picking up the accent would be hard?

Spoons 07-03-2009 02:08 PM

your in a completely different place your bound to pick up an accent, worrking in the town or out and about. living somewhere for several years is bound to make your accent change

shadow-light 07-03-2009 02:19 PM

no I'll agree you'll loose your old accent, I just don't think you'll pick up the accent of the new place...

Too Shy 07-03-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoons (Post 1468076)
yus kent is awesome.
although i may go to christchurch to do my masters if i do social work, but that wont be yet.

yes our library is massive but its not that great, its packed full of out of date irrelevant books and there are never enough of the book that are needed. Inquire the student newspaper had a massive bit slagging it off.

Is it really bad that I've been in Kent since September and never been in the library yet? :\ I'm too shy to go in there, I'm relying on online journals at the moment. >.<

I have a Stats exercise to do (I'm procrastinating from it at the moment :D), an essay for a couple of weeks, another Practical assignment in a few weeks I think, and a multiple-choice exam a month today. It's not that much work, but for some reason it's feeling like loads. Meh. :(

fairytale dreamer 07-03-2009 02:51 PM

I'm a uni student! In my first year studying Art and Design.

I'm in the studio 9-4 everyday, apart from Wednesday when we have a seminar in the morning and the rest of the day "off" which really means time to catch up with work.

I think my accent has changed, one of my flatmates speaks Doric (slang that they speak in Aberdeen) and I've picked up her accent a wee bit.

Spoons 07-03-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too Shy (Post 1469632)
Is it really bad that I've been in Kent since September and never been in the library yet? : I'm too shy to go in there, I'm relying on online journals at the moment. >.<

I have a Stats exercise to do (I'm procrastinating from it at the moment :D), an essay for a couple of weeks, another Practical assignment in a few weeks I think, and a multiple-choice exam a month today. It's not that much work, but for some reason it's feeling like loads. Meh. :(

what subject do you do?

my friend did psychology and didnt get a book out of the library once.

i like the library late at night or weekends, where you can actually find a computer and a desk.

The One Who 07-03-2009 04:14 PM

How can you not need the library?! I usually really like the library, as long as there aren't people there just to waste their time. It's annoying when I need a computer to print something off and half the computers are taken up with folk messing about on them.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.