RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Veterans Board (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   The Intellectual Serious debate thread. (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73367)

Margo 18-11-2008 03:31 AM

The Intellectual Serious debate thread.
 
Yup thats right. im actually being serious. I feel that vets has become a little dumbed down over the past years and so i think its time to put a little greay matter back into it!

We havent had anything serious to discuss for as far back as i can remember. So i thought i would make this thread and start off a debate. We will avoid the subjects of politics and religion for obvious reasons and hopefully something interesting will happen.

So ill kick off by saying that recently i have been reading......

























































AH Fu(k it!


BOOBIES!!

Aidee 18-11-2008 04:12 AM

Well, I've been reading:

Neurophilisophy: Toward a Unified Science of the Mind/Brain by Patricia Smith-Churchland

and

The History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell

Who wants to debate me? :D

Queen Crabbit 18-11-2008 04:18 AM

I posted a funny gif on here but deleted it before the mods could. teensy bit nsfw!

i've been reading harry potter so ner.

Casper_Fading 18-11-2008 05:02 AM

I've been reading the youth justice act *smacks head on desk repeatedly*

Tears Of Blood 18-11-2008 06:52 AM

Lol I've been reading the "Clinical textbook for Veterinary Technicians 5th edition" by Dennis M. McCurnin and Joanna M.. Bassert...not nearly as entertaining as what some of you have been reading...but hey...

Neurophilosophy and the history of western philosophy ~Aidey~?? Now aren't we edumacated lol ...I'll debate you....you might kick my ass but hey.....lol

FlightlessBird 18-11-2008 07:36 AM

I'll debate anyone on vampire fiction! I've recently read the Twilight Saga :P

Casper_Fading 18-11-2008 07:57 AM

*giggles* i've read it too!

Margo 18-11-2008 11:38 AM

I flicked though a wheres Wally (or Waldo), book in the motorway service station the other week.

I found him, his lesbian friend and the wizzard, but i couldnt find the dog. *sigh*

akita 18-11-2008 12:17 PM

You are reading boobies Matthew? Is it a good book? :P

Luukas 18-11-2008 02:38 PM

I've been re-reading Harry Potter too :-)

Though I also particularly enjoyed Transgressing the Boundaries: Towards a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity by Alan Sokal and a number of related articles and books :P

littlelou 18-11-2008 02:45 PM

eek my head hurts reading some of the titles.

ive been reading patrica cornwell.
<<goes to find daughters where;s wally and looks for the dog

Seraphsigh 18-11-2008 07:42 PM

OMG I'm totally addicted to Patricia Cornwell.
But I just finished most of her books, I think. Except the cookbook.
I've been reading a bunch of music scores because I'm a big old nerd. Mahler 3, yo.

Tears Of Blood 18-11-2008 07:48 PM

Lol Littlelou and Monarkh, I love her too but it do seem I read faster than she writes so I'm currently bookless at the moment :(

Sometimes Crazy 18-11-2008 07:53 PM

*coughs*

I read... I read...

"Stop in the name of pants!" by Louise Rennison recently :-)

Is that intellectual?

Margo 18-11-2008 08:03 PM

*facepalmlots*

*licks a carrot*

I dont actually enjoy reading. I find it hard. Thats why i look at boobies.

*nods and stares*

Sometimes Crazy 18-11-2008 08:07 PM

*watches Maffew licking the carrot curiously* *watches closer*

I look at them because I can. :thumbup:

Margo 18-11-2008 08:20 PM

who said i was licking it curiously?

It was just your common or garden lick actually. nothing curious about it! :P

Sometimes Crazy 18-11-2008 08:26 PM

I meant my looking at you was in a curious manner xD

As in "Oh look, it's a penguin licking a carrot and I'm curious about that so I will look at it".

Anyone want to debate me on that? :p

Margo 18-11-2008 08:27 PM

are you encouraging mass-debating in this thread Chelsea?

ROOM NOW! You have a jolly good think young lady!

UbermoronicismAgain 18-11-2008 08:48 PM

I'm reading the third book in the Anne Rice series of Mayfair Witches.
Tis quite a read.

I want to read something intellectual next. Any suggestions?
x

Seraphsigh 18-11-2008 09:40 PM

A Thousand Plateaus by Deleuze and Guatarri. Crazy crazy philosophy on multiple dimension-ish things and the nature of things physical, metaphysical, and abstract happening at once. Hard to explain. It kept me busy for a looooong time.

Also Quantum Reality (can't remember the author). A non-physicist's guide to quantum physics. Pretty sweet.

fallenshadows 18-11-2008 09:45 PM

I've been reading Fish Hatchery Management and a bit from fisheries techniques. If some of this was any drier it'd spontaenius combust. :blink:

Casper_Fading 18-11-2008 10:37 PM

are they all out iz? I don't want to read them until the whole series is out cause i hate waiting for the 'next' one :P

Tears Of Blood 18-11-2008 10:58 PM

Lol Fallenshadows, I think the folks out here need that Fish hatchery management book next...My job entails visiting every one of the hatcheries out here and IMO I don't think most of the managers here could manage their way out of a wet paper bag :( I had to laugh though when you mentioned that if it got any drier it would spontaniously combust.... I think they make it that way so that it's in direct contrast to the actual job...Most of the Hatchery Techs I know bring extra clothes to work because 99% of the time, b4 the end of their shift they're completely soaked :)

Bitter_Angel 18-11-2008 11:37 PM

Matthew, you mean to tell me you dont read those magazines that are stored on the top shelf?

Trucktastic 19-11-2008 02:32 AM

I've just read lots of stuff at work but if I told you I'd have to shoot you.

One of the books I'm reading at the moment is Bang: the complete history of the universe, written by Brian May (yes, he of Queen, and a Doctor too), Patrick Moore and Chris Lintott.

Pretty good actually.

Loz x
(Not going to admit I'm watching code name kids next door at the moment, and the bad guys are being nasty to the Toilenator!

Lx

Margo 19-11-2008 02:45 AM

This thread has totally freaked me out!

Scabette 19-11-2008 03:14 AM

Does anybody like classic intellectual literature? I like to wear my beret, smoke a cigarette and sip coffee while reading clever books. The Great Gatsby, anyone? Or Therese Raquin? Soon, I will die of pretentiousness.
Getting some good ideas from this thread though. A Thousand Plateus sounds good. Keep reading, people. Exercise those little grey cells.

Margo 19-11-2008 03:26 AM

Kim i have the internet for that kinda thing! The pictures move too, its great!

I think the last book i read cover to cover was called Toast by Nigel Slater. Hes my culinary god figure. He single handedly inspired me to cook properly and cook for myself and what i liked. Toast is his auto biography but written sensorialy through his memories of food whilst growing up. Its delightful and mouth-watering.

Am i the only one who struggles to read here? Im not dyslexic, i just find it really hard. *runs*

Casper_Fading 19-11-2008 03:34 AM

When i get reeeeeally depressed I can't read. I can't focus and it actually makes me worse. Reading has been my one true saviour throughout my life. I've been reading my mums novels since I was 8... Reading gave me an escape *nods*

littlelou 19-11-2008 11:22 AM

yeah im the same jess. i just bought a whole lots of books then hit a major low so not been able to read any of them.

has anyone read any stuart macbride books? i love them

Sometimes Crazy 19-11-2008 06:46 PM

This thread scary Chels *hides*

Scary clever people.

Want boobies.
Chels want all teh boobies back.

*runs away*




On a more serious note - I do like all the classical literature. Charlotte Bronte and Jane Austen <3 are love <3

Margo 19-11-2008 07:00 PM

*pets Chels*

Chels at the end of the day when you really dig beneath all this high-brow garbage there are only ever BOOBIES!

Bitter_Angel 19-11-2008 09:19 PM

I love the kids section in the library its so much more fun than the adults.

oh whats that book called. its like a guide to aliens about humans. Its funny and has me in stitches every time i read it. (Yus it is meant for 5 year old but ner) Dr something or others guide to earthlings *nods*

Margo 19-11-2008 09:22 PM

^^^^^^ If it has big pictures i want it! Sounds so cool. :)

Bethlehamstar 20-11-2008 06:04 AM

I am read the Alchemist by someone I do not remember.

I like it.

Dreamofunity 20-11-2008 06:41 AM

Where's the debate?

Carrie 20-11-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlightlessBird (Post 1225632)
I'll debate anyone on vampire fiction! I've recently read the Twilight Saga :P

Nothing wrong with that! Savage books =)

Margo 20-11-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamofunity (Post 1230556)
Where's the debate?


did you carefully read the first post? :P

random.swirls 20-11-2008 11:04 PM

I read some book called did the earth move strangely it wasnt about earthquakes highly disappointing

Bitter_Angel 21-11-2008 12:19 AM

^^Was that top shelf literture too cam?

Bitter_Angel 21-11-2008 12:19 AM

kinda makes me think of the whole want a bit of my muffin thingy?

random.swirls 21-11-2008 12:26 AM

that was a totally innocent comment pfft

and no it wasn't top shelf

realflifefaerie 21-11-2008 12:44 AM

Dear Mr Darwin was my last book, not a fun late night read however very interesting!

Margo 21-11-2008 02:40 AM

This thread is totally bizzare! *looks in amazement*

((deleted)) 21-11-2008 01:22 PM

Aidey-I will debate with you about Russell and his criticism of the theory of evolution if you would so like. It will be good revision for my RS exam in january.....and other philosophers you know we can debate....Swinburne..Hick..Hume???????

Matt-I know a book that you would absolutely love if you can find it.....the title runs something along the lines of; "Everything that men know about women"...it's a brilliant book-you would really enjoy it (i think).

Aidee 21-11-2008 01:26 PM

I hate to burst your bubble deleted but I'm only reading the Russell to explain something in the Churchland I'm reading. She expects people to have more philosophy background than I do, so I'm just brushing up on a few of the philosophers she mentions so I understand things better.

I do intend to read more Russell in the future, but I just don't have time now :(

((deleted)) 21-11-2008 02:00 PM

awwww...I only read most of it because my RS teacher tells me to.....tis good fun though!!!!

Margo 21-11-2008 03:05 PM

I stink, therefore i fart!

Debate that one! :P

Aidee 22-11-2008 04:44 AM

That is easy, it's a logical fallacy.

Just because all farts stink, doesn't mean that all stink can be attributed to farts.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.