![]() |
Reliable Internet Information Sources *Help PLease*
Hi,
I asked my Psych if she could set me some homework. She has done. I wont tell you what it is but basically its a psychology question based upon Carl Jung. Now ive never used the web before for serious research and i know alot of stuff out there is less than reliable so i was wondering if there were any reliable sources or search engines i could use for the best results. Basically non-flakey sites and write-ups by pocket books docs and loonies. Thanks Matthew xxx |
Try using Alta Vista Search Engine.
Also, maybe order a second hand book off Amazon or something? |
Also, wikipedia is **** for reliable information, but the sources at the bottom of the page can be useful
|
Thanks. Cant afford books tho.
|
I know lots about Jung. Did it on my psychotherapy training, and also personal reading related to my own therapy.
You can always run any links that you find by me [pm them to me], and I can check them. I have a pretty good idea of what's authentic and reliable. |
Google Scholar and Intute: Psychology http://www.intute.ac.uk/socialsciences/psychology/ are good search engines to use.
|
You can get books for like 1p; and then just P&P.
|
Anything that is hosted on a university site should be OK. Anything published in Nature, New Scientist, Focus, any other science-y mag can be acceptable. Even newspapers or things like The Economist, or the like. Journals and books are the main source but you'd need access to an academic library and/or Athens for that. Google Books sometimes has chapters of books online which can be quite useful.
NOT Wiki! |
Thank you all and thanks Katie thats really kind of you.
I just ordered Memories, Dreams, Reflections from Amazon. Was only £6. So i can get it from the horses mouth so -to -speak. Heh, its stupid really. Its a simple task but already im panicing and anxious about it. Feel i should be doing a doctorate on it or something. I know that sounds stupid but well nevermind..... Its also interesting that she set me this specific task too. I feel there is a meaning to it. Perhaps i think too much. Infact i DO think too much. "I think, therefore i panic" |
Good luck with it.
|
Good luck with the homework Matthew.
|
If I lived closer I'd lend you a bunch of my books.
Memories, dreams, reflections is good. Also there's .. agh, my double layered, too full book cases aren't easy to access! I'll dig around later and let you know some more helpful titles! |
i'd definitely recommend journals if you can get a hold of any free ones.
try www.sciencedirect.com if you know anyone with an athens log in (most science courses will provide their students with one). Actuallly chels might have one. i'm not sure if that site gives you free access to some journals though. i just tried my old log in details but alas they had expired! |
Thank you :)
heh, im told i have a gift............yet i sit and read and i cant concentrate, i cant remember and i dont understand half of all the words im reading. I hate my own stupidity. Always hated reading. They used to laugh at me in class when i had to read aloud. *sigh* *tries to still ones head* |
You're not in class now. It's safe.
|
I think I can log into Athens, if it is the same thing that a lot of online resources are with? but i dont know my log in details :|
|
having a grass-hopper brain does not help. >.<
|
*pokes matthew's brain* :p
|
Good luck!
Try writing some notes about it, about the main points, or even the words you have trouble with. Writing it tends to let the brain sort things out, allows you time to think about it properly, and allows you to remember things a bit more. (You shouldn't copy things directly from the book - someone I know did that and failed her course because of it!) Loz x |
Quote:
|
yeah jane athens is the same regardless of what your logging into. it might start with your uni in 3 letters, like SUN was sunderland and NCL was newcastle etc. if that jogs your memory at all.
Matthew you are not stupid, i have to read books over and over again to make the words stick and thats just ones im choosing to read, i dont think in my 6 years of uni i ever read a book on science! |
I think it was my name, i could find out on monday and let you know matthew if that would help at all?
|
^^^^Thank you. *hugs*
sorry for being so sad. |
If you need access to Athens today then I might be able to help you out. I do love my Athens access.
|
Thank you Very Much. Ive been sifting through things for most of the day on and off. I have a really good little book on Jung anyways so im kinda using that as a benchmark and corss referencing against other findings and hopefully ill come to my conclusion.
Problem is that I keep freaking myself out. One second ive "got it", and the next its gone and i cant even remember what the terms or anything were. Its pathetic really. Such a simple question but now im turning it into something more than it is and trying to be smart and im just proving im a total idiot. *sigh* I cant seem to spend more than 5 or 10 minutes concentration either. *goes off to play killing monsters* *is getting really upset and tearful* |
My concentration level isn't the best either, and I get quite frustrated and tearful too. Like right now I should be doing an essay that needs to be in on Wednesday and will be ripped apart by my tutorial group. So to save myself the humiliation I need to make it as good as possible. It's just not happening.
I've found doing five-ten minutes of work with a ten to fifteen minute break can help. It's slow but it's better than doing none of it. *hugs* |
Matthew, this is the FIRST THING you've done like this, for an extremely long time. I'd be AMAZED if even bloody steven hawkings or however you spell it could do what you're doing at the level you want to do it straight away.
These things take time. They're hard even when you're used to being in education/studying things. So when you been ill for 3 years and been out of education for lots more it's not going to happen overnight. 5-10 minutes at a time is all I can do too, but I still managed to get ABB at A level, which aint exactly **** grades. Loveyouschmoo. |
Stop panicking. It's not going to be judged right or wrong. There is no way you can fail this. It's just a little task you have been asked to do by your psych. She isn't a teacher. It is not an assessment. Think about why she would ask you to do this? What purpose is there? It's not a test to see how smart you are.
You can do this. You are just putting too much pressure on yourself. Freaking yourself out. There is nothing to be worried about. You can do this. |
Accepting your shadow is the way forward. Killing it, the monsters, won't make you human.
I'm too Jungian for my own good sometimes. But, yes. |
Quote:
I wanted to see if i could do "it". Seems i cant. Perhaps after this people will believe that veneer i have been droning on about and it will finally sink in. There is no substance to me. Its a pantomime. Apparently i have a gift for helping people. Erm...............no i just pass on what others tell me that i seem incapable of taking in myself. Meh this has turned into a rant or a support thing. Sorry. Please close. Katie, If the shadow is created from the light of conciousness (as in his dream), then perhaps its better never to look back and just concentrate on the light at hand.................. ^^^^^^^^^^ lol im so full of *****. |
Matthew, perhaps if you asked us a similar question about something [or the same one] we could find out the answer and then talk you through how we did it?
You have never been taught how to do this kinda stuff. It's like saying to a kid "what's 2+2" when they haven't been taught the basic concepts of maths. Sure, they could teach themselves how to work it out/look up the answer but it would take 1 in a hundred million gazillion to do that. |
break it down. you have a few questions? take each question and break it into parts. don't spend more than 10 minutes on any one part. if you can't concentrate during those ten minutes, take a break for ten minutes and come back to it. don't sit there and beat yourslef up because you think you can't do it. *cuddles*
|
Jung said that enlightenment is not achieved by imaging streams of light, but by making the darkness conscious...
|
I'm wondering why, of everything she could have chosen, she chose that for you... I'm going to read about it. Come and chat to me on MSN about it sometime. I would love to discuss it with you.
|
I agree with everyone else. You are not stupid or anything else like that because you are struggling with these questions. We all struggle with stuff like this.
Break it down and/or re-write the questions into your own words. That way you can get it clear in your head what the question is asking and might spark some ideas how to answer it too. |
| All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:33 AM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.