RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Old fashioned slang (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54545)

alienshe_cheesycake 04-07-2008 08:47 PM

Old fashioned slang
 
Lately I've gotten into a terrible habit of using Famous Five-esque slang

For example I walk into my local shop drop something and go;
Oh Gosh! ....a lot of stares....then I see that they are selling kinder hippos so I go; golly!

Which equals a lot more stares understandably enough :pinch: as we're quite rough around here in my part of liverpool....

This started out as a joke but now I can't stop using old fashioned slang
anybody else have this strange problem?

I truely do think it's going to get me beat up one day :crazy:

Dicky T 04-07-2008 08:51 PM

That's not old fashioned, that's just posh.

"Wowzer" is old fashioned playground slang.
I say golly from time to time, but apparently I talk poshly. Apparently.

Dicky!

Behind the Smile 04-07-2008 08:52 PM

I'm always saying 'Oh gosh'
and 'golly'.

I think it's cool to talk like that.

alienshe_cheesycake 04-07-2008 08:54 PM

I'll tellya whats posh (and makes me laugh)
when posh people say; yar, I love it!
(and thats not yar in the german sense, although isn't the queen german?
getting past the point here.....)

Pink Lemonade Fairy 04-07-2008 09:02 PM

I say gosh alot aha :) people find it funny

Feel_Good_inc. 04-07-2008 09:05 PM

Keep it up. Maybe it'll catch on and you'll single-handedly solve Britain's swearing problem.

Detour. Derail 04-07-2008 09:06 PM

haha I use "gosh" "oh my days"..."top stuff" erm...loads of stuff...and I get laughed at for it :P

Detour. Derail 04-07-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by englishwitch (Post 897382)
Keep it up. Maybe it'll catch on and you'll single-handedly solve Britain's swearing problem.

gooood idea ;-)
I actually dont swear as much as i used to haha :P

Stellata 04-07-2008 09:08 PM

Fiddlesticks! Now there's a one!

Feel_Good_inc. 04-07-2008 09:10 PM

I used that one once. But I was in the middle of a classroom of children and had stubbed my toe.
No prizes for guessing what F word I really wanted to use. I don't even think the 4 year olds were fooled.

Pink Lemonade Fairy 04-07-2008 09:21 PM

I never swear...Welll VERY rarely, not because I make a conscious effort not to but swear words just aren't the first things that come to mind when annoyed or whatever.

craola 04-07-2008 09:26 PM

I say yar a lot and gosh and golly.
Famous Five were cool but so were Secret Seven, people forget about them.

Stellata 04-07-2008 09:27 PM

I read all the Secret Seven books! [all Enid Blyton books, pretty much.]

"Oh my word!" is one, and a phrase my flatmates' toddler has caught onto!

Urethra Franklin 04-07-2008 09:41 PM

I use some old fashioned slang words, and even take it further and use all sorts of old and even archaic terms for things. I like them more than some modern words, it feels like you got jewels in your mouth or something.

Bitter_Angel 04-07-2008 09:50 PM

ha not surprised you got funny looks around liverpool.
hehe

Aphelion 04-07-2008 09:55 PM

PSYCHE!

That's old school man.

Eir 06-07-2008 12:27 PM

firetruck...
sugarhoneyicedtea...
china (a mate of mine uses this and i finally asked him why he called people that... apparently its english slang for mate... mate=china plate=china... i still don't get it though)
those are all i can think of at the moment...

Alone and Scared 06-07-2008 12:29 PM

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness gracious me, oh my gosh...... Um, Sugar etc, etc. x

Tears and Rain 06-07-2008 01:42 PM

Oh my days..

J.K 06-07-2008 01:46 PM

"Flip" is the way to go (Y)

griddlebone 06-07-2008 01:48 PM

Thats simply wizard :P

Feel_Good_inc. 06-07-2008 04:33 PM

we shall destroy England's addiction to bad language. just be careful who you say 'wizard' too. at least until it catches on.

Alone and Scared 06-07-2008 04:55 PM

Fudge.

thefool 06-07-2008 04:58 PM

I say them all the time and Im not posh at all. *scratches butt, burps* lol

deadstar 06-07-2008 06:15 PM

I've noticed my self using the word 'nifty' a few times recently.
Old fashioned slang should be bought back.
Fo Sho.

J.K 06-07-2008 06:20 PM

I've been know to say "jeez" from time to time.
So much so I'm training myself not to :/

wigeon 06-07-2008 06:54 PM

I love all this delicious language!

I do say 'blimey' and 'blimey o'reilly's pantaloons' a lot, as well as 'fandabbydozy'. My favourite word at the moment is 'tomfoolery'. It is most delightful.

However it is a bit of a risk, coming out with all this when living in the home counties. You do tend to come across those that actually use such language without the satirical edge.

griddlebone 06-07-2008 07:06 PM

^do you read the books about georgia nicholson by louise rennison by any chance? :P

wigeon 06-07-2008 07:12 PM

I'm afraid not... I have an aversion to the name in the title of the first book so I haven't ever read them haha. Oh deary me, I bet I sound like a right tit :)

Harley's Dad 06-07-2008 07:35 PM

I once flew with a man in an Auster light aircraft and, whenever things looked at all hairy, he would say "Gosh and Gollikins!" I didn't find it in the least reassuring ... !

And I must admit to finding myself saying "upon my word" and "upon my soul and whiskers" to Pippa, our lab. But for some reason it takes something a bit stronger to have any effect on Harley!

Tony.

Harley's Dad 06-07-2008 08:12 PM

Why are you wigeon, wigeon - rather than widgeon? And a tit, rather than a twit? Of course, your choice entirely ...

Tony (in ornithological mode).

PS. If you're a tit, are you a Great Tit, a Blue Tit, a Cole Tit or a Marsh Tit - just curious? You're surely not a Bearded Tit!

wigeon 06-07-2008 08:26 PM

Well some days I have been known to be a Bearded Tit, however I've shaved myself today and am now merely a Tit that is great. Also known as a Great Tit.

Although some days I am more a Sombre Tit.

Narcissism 07-07-2008 01:57 AM

I use Cockney or old london english a lot.
And Me ol China.
China plate = Mate.
Cockney Rhyming Slang. LOVE IT.

Victim+Of+Hate 07-07-2008 08:07 AM

oh my days is considered cool to say round here.
all the chavs are saying it :thumbup:

Chernobog 07-07-2008 09:59 AM

I hate 'oh my days'
Makes me want to punch people. ¬_¬
I use jeez a lot too.

alienshe_cheesycake 07-07-2008 04:28 PM

tickety-boo!

thats my new favorite, I got it from Peep Show, posh Mark Corragan says it, aaah he is my dream man :-)

Harley's Dad 07-07-2008 11:06 PM

Hey wigeon, you've come up in another thread as Amy - presumably female. So how come you're bearded? Or do you work in a circus!

Tony.

bexie 07-07-2008 11:08 PM

grand is a word i use lots!

Rubylou84 07-07-2008 11:56 PM

I couldnt stop laughing when my mate fell over and he just said "whoops-a-daisy" it really tickled me. I never use words like gosh or golly but for some reason when i meet my hero Tarrie B (from my ruin) I couldnt stop saying "gosh really" i felt really silly! I sounded like i was trying to be proper british

OutOfTheWoods11 08-07-2008 03:36 PM

Loads of people say gosh :-)

China (From plate) plate is cockney rhyming slang for mate, in the same way that American's are septics (Yanks-> Tanks, Septic Tanks -> Septics)

Ingenue 08-07-2008 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tears and Rain (Post 900259)
Oh my days..

*nods*
& Flipping Hell, jeez Louise, gosh, geewizz.
Etc.

I was way too cool for school =)

sebyangel 10-07-2008 04:55 PM

Oh my stars! This is a swell topic! It sort of makes me wish I didn't swear...

Mafrofro 27-04-2009 01:00 PM

im more of a "good lord!" kind of girl

linder surprise 27-04-2009 01:16 PM

old thread.
but i didn't see it first time 'round & i love using old slang.

mesmerized. 27-04-2009 01:31 PM

oo, I didn't see this when it was first posted.

I've developed a habit of saying that everything is 'jolly nice' or 'jolly good'. I actually cannot stop!

blondiebear 27-04-2009 04:28 PM

We need to bring back the works Cad and Rake, as ways of describing men of questionable values. The equivalent words for women have stayed common.

Rodolphus 27-04-2009 04:29 PM

I have a few favourites that slip out frequently. 'By gum' is a one, 'by George (I think she's got it!)' is another.

I love 'gosh' and 'golly' and 'geewizz' too ^_^

Dreaming. 27-04-2009 04:41 PM

I say Golly and or Gosh a lot.
And how super everything is, everything is absolutely super.

I like words like that :)

J.K 27-04-2009 08:22 PM

"Flippin' Nora" is a good one.
Or "sugar" or "jeez Louise".

sazybel 27-04-2009 08:38 PM

i've heard crumbs! being used recently


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.