RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Words you can't say (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45936)

Kame 04-05-2008 08:58 PM

Words you can't say
 
The favourite word thread got me thinking about my most hated word, "koala". I just can't say koala bear unless somebody has said it first. It's the o and the a and the l, how does it work?!
So yeah, post away the words you can't say ^_^

Tears and Rain 04-05-2008 09:00 PM

I have issues with the word February ¬_¬

Voldemort 04-05-2008 09:01 PM

I don't tend to use words I don't know, so I forget they exist. Soooooo, there are none I can think of right now.

TheCon 04-05-2008 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tears and Rain (Post 739554)
I have issues with the word February ¬_¬


Wonderful. 04-05-2008 09:04 PM

I can't say the word pedestrian :(

Wonderland. 04-05-2008 09:08 PM

im with you people on the february one
&& therapy i saw it ferapy
i cant say my th's well
i get laughed at for how i speak apparently its cute coz i say
thin as fin
think as fink
&& stuff like that
specific is a hard one two
there is more but i cant think of them atm x

Ash* 04-05-2008 09:15 PM

Phenomena gives me issues.
Phenomenon's even worse.

chasing bliss 04-05-2008 09:19 PM

"February" is pretty tough. There's no room for the R in there.
"Proselytizing" always, always throws me off.
Oh, and "sixths." Physically impossible.

Heidi Tiger 04-05-2008 09:20 PM

It makes me laugh when people say pacifically instead of specifically.
But when people say fillum instead of film...my blood just boils.

The Unicorn 04-05-2008 09:28 PM

I used to not be able to say "funeral" it was like "fun-rural....fun-rural.....what???"


Also "Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis " give me a bit of bother :D

Tuesday 04-05-2008 09:37 PM

i've always thought h'orderves was pronounced like whore-de-vores. lol and then i said it one time and everyone looked at me funny...and then i figured out that i was saying it wrong......

Tig 04-05-2008 09:39 PM

There's loads of words I can't say but I've forgotten them all, typical.

fairytale dreamer 04-05-2008 09:43 PM

Validity. I can say it alright in my head, but out loud it just doesn't seem to work.

Siouxsie 04-05-2008 09:44 PM

I always say 'epitome' as 'epi-tome' instead of like 'epi-to-mee' if that makes sense (probably not). I tried to be a smart arse a few years ago by using it whilst ranting about something and it completely backfired, the person was like "What? Do you mean [insert how it's properly pronounced here]" I was really embarassed :(

I have problems with 'February' and 'sixths' too.

Lil.Monster 04-05-2008 09:46 PM

i cant say methylated or millenium

Isoverity 04-05-2008 10:09 PM

Athenaeum

craola 04-05-2008 10:17 PM

I cannot and never have been able to caramel or anything with the word caramel in it.

It gets on my nerves because everyone thinks they can fix it by going 'just say ca-ra-mel' thats great, but put it together and it comes out cra-men-el. Its impossible.

My friend can't say squirrel.

Kiss Me Furfrog 04-05-2008 10:53 PM

Theres loadsa words i cant say...but i cant spell them either lolz oh well

Silver Phoenix 04-05-2008 10:55 PM

I can't say literaly and apparently I say exactly in a funny way. Most words that have a 'L' and end in 'LY' I have trouble saying. Not matter how many times I try.

Useless Information 101 04-05-2008 10:56 PM

Oh I dont like caramel just because you can say it like a billion different ways.

The word that always gets me (that I can actually remember) is "peculiar". Everytime I say it, I have to say it super slow and like 20 times to make sure I said it right hahah.

Animad 04-05-2008 11:03 PM

There's loads of words at uni i struggle to say along with everyone else but I can't remember them right now!

I also have problems with saying the 'th' sound. My maths teacher once shouted at me for it which it was really unfair, had me in tears n I still couldn't pronounce it right, grrr.

AbandonedPixie 04-05-2008 11:06 PM

"Curriculum"

I say it "Cur-ric-li-um"

mmm, I saw pacifically instead of specifically but if I find myself say it I correct it.

My sister always sed Mazagine ...magazine=]

Detour. Derail 04-05-2008 11:10 PM

I cant say anenome it comes out An-nen-non-money
and i say squirrel funny....(comes out sc-whirl)
and I got laughed at because when I say "no" it comes out sounding Australian :/
what else...
I cant say regularily :/

Detour. Derail 04-05-2008 11:11 PM

I also have trouble saying NME (as in the magazine)
comes out as NMNE :/

sparkle. 04-05-2008 11:18 PM

In school, a couple of years ago, I had to read a chapter of a book out loud to the class (which I hate doing), and I couldn't say 'unfathomable'.
It was so embarrassing and my teacher took the mick for months...

I can pronounce it now, however =p

Cathy 04-05-2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useless Information 101 (Post 739910)
Oh I dont like caramel just because you can say it like a billion different ways.

You can?

Harley's Dad 04-05-2008 11:34 PM

One that annoys me (broadening the thread slightly) is when people pronounce primarily pri-merrily, instead of putting the emphasis on the "pri".

And I'm always irritated by Fiona Bruce, the newsreader, who gets paid zillions for a not very demanding job and still can't pronounce thousands - her version comes out as "fahsends".

Tony (who's a pedantic bastard at heart!)

Detour. Derail 05-05-2008 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwanttobreakfree (Post 739988)
In school, a couple of years ago, I had to read a chapter of a book out loud to the class (which I hate doing), and I couldn't say 'unfathomable'.
It was so embarrassing and my teacher took the mick for months...

I can pronounce it now, however =p

My teachers used to laugh at me because if I came across a word I couldn't say...I'd either replace it with "something I can't say" or go "flah" rather than even attempt it :P

Kame 05-05-2008 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley's Dad (Post 740041)
One that annoys me (broadening the thread slightly) is when people pronounce primarily pri-merrily, instead of putting the emphasis on the "pri".

And I'm always irritated by Fiona Bruce, the newsreader, who gets paid zillions for a not very demanding job and still can't pronounce thousands - her version comes out as "fahsends".

Tony (who's a pedantic bastard at heart!)

People who can't pronounce words properly is a whole different thread, but this is my thread so... I hate when people say paracetamol, para-set-a-mol. It's a C not a S >.<
Oh and I just thought, I can't say similiarly either.

Foxtrot Oscar 05-05-2008 12:49 AM

I can't say 'coat hanger' - it always, always comes out 'hoat canger'.

Fortunately people at home know what I mean now so when I scream: "I can't find a hoat canger" somebody can point me in the right direction!

KittenEyes 05-05-2008 01:00 AM

Halleluiah. I ALWAYS add 'l' in weird places... Like "halleluliah" or "halleuliah"

Such a weird word. I still can't say it right even when I'm reading it!

BeautyFiend 05-05-2008 01:03 AM

I don't think there are any words that I use and can't say?

Useless Information 101 05-05-2008 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathy (Post 740033)
You can?

Hahah welll..theres the two or three that I know of..Im a big fan of exaggeration :tongue2:

vrinda_sevini 05-05-2008 02:14 AM

[quote=nuke;739613]I used to not be able to say "funeral" it was like "fun-rural....fun-rural.....what???"


i am sorry, i am having trouble to pronounce fun-rural.
is it like 'fun' and then 'rural'?

vrinda_sevini 05-05-2008 02:17 AM

tony, in primarily i have always put the accent in 'ma'
but i do not say pri-merrily
i just say pri-ma-rily

if that makes any sense lol

vrinda_sevini 05-05-2008 02:18 AM

useless info i hadn't seen you in centuries! but of course, i can't blame you, since i am never here
hope you're doing good!

Pencils 05-05-2008 02:25 AM

One that amuses me is the word phenylalanine (which is apparently an ingredient of pretty much everything) and is meant to be pronounced phenile-alaneen, which describes what it is, but I seriously can't stop pronouncing it is fenny-lala-nine.
Which amuses me because I'm a loser geek.

Useless Information 101 05-05-2008 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrinda_sevini (Post 740337)
useless info i hadn't seen you in centuries! but of course, i can't blame you, since i am never here
hope you're doing good!

Haha heyy Im just peachy, hope youre good. I got so excited when I saw your posts. I actually took a break from here for a bit but im back now :hehe:

all-hope.lost-forever 05-05-2008 03:38 AM

Jewelery (sp?) and hospital and ambulance are the ones i cant say...

monket 05-05-2008 03:56 AM

I always pronounce 'jaguar' as "jag-wire". I don't know why, I can say it like it's supposed to be said, but I've been mispronouncing it so long that I just don't.

Asi 05-05-2008 05:15 AM

I can't say "franc"

I can say "euro" just fine though :-)

Caru y Nos 05-05-2008 06:03 AM

Too many.. tis why i like writing, i sound alot more cleverer ;]

Merc 05-05-2008 06:58 AM

i cant say 'pure'
i can only say 'pier' instead.

romp

LadyMacbeth 05-05-2008 09:44 AM

I can't say most words with a 'u' sound. Like butch or brush. I can say them but I always forget how the U is supposed to sound. People find it very amusing.

green.eyes 05-05-2008 09:48 AM

proliferation

Cathy 05-05-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useless Information 101 (Post 740309)
Hahah welll..theres the two or three that I know of..Im a big fan of exaggeration :tongue2:

I'm intrigued, now! Haha.

Heidi Tiger 05-05-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

People who can't pronounce words properly is a whole different thread, but this is my thread so... I hate when people say paracetamol, para-set-a-mol. It's a C not a S >.<
But it is pronouned para-set-a-mol? How else would you say it? Para-ket-a-mol?!

limey. 05-05-2008 11:38 AM

para-see-te-mol.

I sometimes pronounce it like that I think.

Sharloid. 05-05-2008 12:13 PM

The ones I can think of are squirrel, peculiar and particularly.

Kame 05-05-2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey. (Post 740784)
para-see-te-mol.

I sometimes pronounce it like that I think.

Impossibility, that's how you say it ^_^


Quote:

Too many.. tis why i like writing, i sound alot more cleverer ;]
Cleverer eh Josh? =P


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.