RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Self-Harm Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The Why Not to Start SI'ing Again List. (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=359)

Snow White. 05-04-2007 05:10 AM

The Why Not to Start SI'ing Again List.
 
Hey Guys!

Here is a place to post your own reasons, personal or not, as to why we shouldn't start hurting ourselves again if we're trying to stop any form of self harm.

Sometimes, it can be hard to find motivation for ourselves, especially when things are really hard, but together maybe we can find some more reasons, and help keep ourselves motivated and working towards recovery :)

For example:
  • to wear short sleeves
  • to stop wasting money on bandages
  • because we're worth more than this.
Go On, Add your reasons! :-)

TruConfessions 05-04-2007 05:17 AM

Me like this thread. :) Aimee You so rock!!!
  • Yourself :)
  • Not having to hide
  • Not having to worry if someone might see (if no one knows)
  • Not having to do laundry just so you have clothing that does hide
  • Not buying 'tools'
  • Not having to wonder if someone sees your 'tools'

whispers 05-04-2007 10:24 AM

- Not having to worry every time you go out in case someone goes though your room.
- Being able to wear whatever you want in summer.
- To find other ways of coping, that actually help.
- To be able to feel again, good and bad.
- Because reaching your next goal just feels so damn good.

:)

Paperdreams. 05-04-2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whispers (Post 2937)
- Because reaching your next goal just feels so damn good.

:)

Good one. (Y).

Stellata 05-04-2007 11:02 AM

To be able to stay with feelings, rather than cover them up or hide from them, and learn from them, and move forward from that.

Starless 09-04-2007 05:33 AM

To not hurt others that care

Mandarin 09-04-2007 05:50 AM

Not having to look forward to itchy scars.

Queen Crabbit 09-04-2007 01:07 PM

To be able to use my swimming pool this summer.

random.swirls 11-04-2007 07:56 AM

To live life to the full
To be able to say in a few year's I was able to pull myself out of a deep dark hole and I survived.

StillVacant 12-04-2007 04:07 AM

to see who i am without it

TruConfessions 15-04-2007 05:11 PM

  • My mother
  • My brother
  • My puppy
  • To make a year (not that I will know when that is, I don't keep track of my days free)
  • To prove to myself I am stronger than the urges

DoveInGrey 21-04-2007 02:43 PM

-to stop upsetting my boyfriend
-to restore the cat's reputation
-to wear what I want and not have to worry about covering new wounds

felix felicis 21-04-2007 03:18 PM

- because when people look into your eyes because they know your hurting yourself, is so painfull to see.

Useless Information 101 21-04-2007 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StillVacant (Post 8133)
to see who i am without it

I love that one.
  • To be proud of yourself for stopping
  • Being able to let go and have fun without worrying who is seeing your cuts and scars.
  • To learn different ways of coping.
  • Being able to boast about your recovery
  • Recovery bracelets!
  • To inspire yourself..knowing I made x amount of days si free makes me want to accomplish so much more, just in general.

TruConfessions 30-04-2007 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoveInGrey (Post 11963)
-to restore the cat's reputation

Hehe that made me :)

Beatrix 01-05-2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

-to restore the cat's reputation
I'm not going to lie, I laughed at this one.

How about . . .

. . . because every single one of us is deserving of happiness and health in both mind, body and spirit, and because we are all worth it.

inkyspider 30-05-2007 10:46 PM

To know that i can do something i put my mind to

EyelinerAndCigarettes 03-06-2007 07:32 PM

to not be ashamed of yourself.

Behind the Smile 03-06-2007 08:15 PM

To be able to say that you achieved something important
For my best friend
So that you don't worry everytime your out that someone might have noticed

Angel_Girl 03-06-2007 09:08 PM

- I do it for my bf, cause he's terrified of everything SI related.
- For my best friend who is a cutter too... just want to be able to provide support for him.

Devil Girl 03-06-2007 10:30 PM

To know you can survie(sp sorry!) without it
Not have to worry about cuts bleeding on clothing
To stop hurting friends
To know I managed to achieve something which means something
To be able to say 'I used to self harm'
I don't need any more scars

Psiren 03-06-2007 10:35 PM

So you can wear shorts, skirts, short sleeves and swinsuits.
So you don't have to have any more scars.
So you don't have to see worry and dissapointment in the eyes of those close to you when they find out you cut again.
So you can be happy.

-Chelsey- 03-06-2007 11:12 PM

Don't know if anyone has said this. I'm too lazy to even look through first pageee. =]

you'll be richer.. First aid stuff costs a bomb!!
chinese burns hurt a damn lot less!

behindblueyes 03-06-2007 11:19 PM

No looking down at your scars to remind you of events in the past

Fee 04-06-2007 12:08 AM

to wear nice clothes
to stop scaring everyone i meet
to make my mum proud
and so i can get the tattoo ive designed for my 1 year cut free :)

i like this tread it made my cry when i saw it on v2 :)

xox

ceiron 04-06-2007 12:17 AM

to stop people askign you are u hot in a logn sleeved t shirt and stuff

Infatuated 04-06-2007 09:50 AM

*So you can say "I made it".
*So you don't have to make up weird, pathetic excuses. People stop believeing them quicker than you think.

And I love the "You'll be richer" one. =]

SuperDave 04-06-2007 08:54 PM

so summer won't be excrutiatingly hot in those long sleeves we all love to wear.

Tregi 05-06-2007 01:21 PM

So you can have something to be proud about, instead of worrying.
Also jobs are easier if you dont have to find somewhere that lets you wear long sleeves instead of the job you love to do

Lora 06-06-2007 09:49 AM

to stop hurting everyone around me
- to actually feel something thats not this
- so that one day maybe i'll get through a day without thinking about hurting myself...that wouldbe nice
- to stop adding scars to my body
- to keep out of the hospital, im sick of needing stitches, and im sick of the 'oh its laura again' looks
- so that one day i can be 'ok' and be proud that i survived this, and be stronger because of it, knowing i got myself out of this deep dark hellish hole
- to accomplish something

Snow White. 01-07-2007 11:06 AM

[ hugely bumps ]

dying__deep__inside 01-07-2007 01:48 PM

This list hit home.:crying:

I know that I should be trying to stop, but I keep digging myself deeper into this hellish hole.:[

--So I can be a better role model for my younger sister and cousins.
--So I can make my life better than my parents' lives, which are horrid.
--'Cuz even though I feel like that isn't true, I don't deserve this, I deserve much, much better.
--So I can help other people.
--So I don't miss more school next year (I was inpatient twice during the last quarter of the year, for self-injury and suicidal ideation and had to get stitches twice).
--So I don't have to worry about getting in trouble for being out of class, in the bathroom SIing, anymore.
--So I can wear shorts, mini skirts, tank tops, short sleeved T-shirts, and whatever else I want, when I want to.
--So I don't have to continue lying to my mom, trying to get her to think that I've stopped, when I haven't.

claireyfairy 02-07-2007 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starless (Post 6345)
To not hurt others that care

Yep, hurting my boyfriend stops me. It hurts him more than me....

dying__deep__inside 02-07-2007 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoveInGrey (Post 11963)
-to restore the cat's reputation

I like that one.:hop:

lol.

Except I don't use that excuse.

But 'tis still funny.:woot:

saphía 02-07-2007 02:25 PM

--So i dont feel like i've let people down again
--So i dont have to put others through seeing me so bad
--because i want to be a 'sucsess' story
--I dont want to be the girl who didnt recover, who let it take her, consume her and was never able to take that huge leap of faith without it.
--most importantly, in 11 months i want to say to the people that have been there for me "thank you, you saved my life"

[and when i get a cat, i want it to have a good reputation!] the cats reutation thing made me smile =]

Samz 02-07-2007 02:59 PM

-To stop hurting everyone around me.
-To know what its like to live a real life, with real feelings. Feelings that arent hidden, or masked by this.
-To wear short sleeves again. I REALLY miss them. :(
-For all those days I've missed, days on the beach with friends and family, days when it was too damn hot to go anywhere in long sleeves. So I don't have to miss them again.
-So I can look back and think "I made it, I survived the darkest time of my life"
-So I can be proud of myself.

InsufficientFunds 02-07-2007 07:25 PM

- For my friends so I can look at them and not see how worried or hurt they are for me.

- Because I know I'm a smart girl with big dreams in which SI is not included.

- To be the person I used to be.

- Because no one deserves to lose themselves.

theoretical 16-07-2007 02:37 AM

This thread hasn't been used in a while, but I found it and I looove it.

-To prove to people that I have control of my life, NOT my blades.
-Because someday people are going to realize my cat is declawed.
-Because I don't even have a rosebush.
-Because that isn't who I want to be.

chickdrummer13 16-07-2007 04:34 AM

First of all, I say we sticky this thread because it's amazing!!
Secondly, I love the cat's reputation one!

Here are mine:
--To stop having to think of excuses (because I don't own a cat)
--To no longer have to tell those who are closest to me the awful truth
--To be able to see a pair of scissors, box cutter, etc. and not want to cut
--To eventually become a therapist and be able to tell my patients that I was in there situation and made it out
--To no longer have to see the pain in the eyes of those who care about me
--To no longer have to hide in shame
--To know I made it out
--To be able to thank those who have saved my life and actually be through it all
--To FINALLY stop feeling like a total failure when I mess up!!

xxcaseymareexx 16-07-2007 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickdrummer13 (Post 156998)
--To eventually become a therapist and be able to tell my patients that I was in there situation and made it out

Ditto. You can't be a therapist and go home at night and cut.

-So my parents don't have to ask to see my arms every time I cry
-So that I can get more of those "Thank god you didn't cut" hugs.
-So that I'm not "the cutter" at school.
-So that when I swim in the ocean my arms don't burn.
-So that I can say "I'm better"
-So that I can feel happy about my wrists, not jealous about others.
-So that when people say something about suicide I don't feel that it's directed towards me.

And I like the restoring the cats reputation one. I've actually said "My cat's evil, I don't get why she does that!", and then my friend meets my cuddly cat and is like wtf?

CoffinNail 16-07-2007 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxcaseymareexx (Post 157052)
Ditto. You can't be a therapist and go home at night and cut.

-So my parents don't have to ask to see my arms every time I cry
-So that I can get more of those "Thank god you didn't cut" hugs.
-So that I'm not "the cutter" at school.
-So that when I swim in the ocean my arms don't burn.
-So that I can say "I'm better"
-So that I can feel happy about my wrists, not jealous about others.
-So that when people say something about suicide I don't feel that it's directed towards me.

And I like the restoring the cats reputation one. I've actually said "My cat's evil, I don't get why she does that!", and then my friend meets my cuddly cat and is like wtf?


I agree with everything you said.

-So for once in my life, I can say "I'm ok" and really mean it.
-So I don't have to live with the guilt and shame anymore.

~KemicalRain~ 16-07-2007 10:41 AM

so i can see the world in all of its glory not through paranoid eyes

so i dont spend lots of money on medical supplies

so i dont have to blame that damn cactus

so i can laugh with my gf

so i can make sure my kids (when i have them) are happy

so i can say i am okay and truely feel it in my heart

and to have the glint and sparkle back in my eye

Absi 14-08-2007 09:46 PM

Not to be always thinking....'can someone see them@

Johanna80 14-08-2007 10:24 PM

- not to be a bad example for my neices (there 16 and 14 - and they know...)
- to make mom stop worry
- not to scare people i want to be friends with
- to get a boyfriend

*unlovedmonkey* 14-08-2007 11:56 PM

  • To be more me and not a pretender
  • Be Less paranoid

  • [Why this not a sticky? lol]

Nymphetamine 15-08-2007 10:48 AM

- to avoid the disappointment people will have in me
- to avoid wandering round in long sleeves in the summer
- so I'm not wandering round and someone accidentally brushes a burn as they walk past and I'm like "Ow - *bite tongue*"

.ghost. 15-08-2007 05:25 PM

These have probably been mentioned but:
  • So people don't ask why you flinch when your arms are touched.
  • So you can help other people who SI/are recovering.
  • So you're not paranoid about people finding your 'tools'.
  • To avoid all the awkward questions :ermm:
  • So you don't spend ages trying to wash blood stains off your clothes.
  • Because nobody deserves to do that to themselves...

broken_up_inside 15-08-2007 06:00 PM

Awww i like these threads. Just a few personal things for me that have got me down recently....

So i can be a damn good mental health nurse
So i can wake up in the morning and not have to plan what im wearing
So i can play fight with my bf without ending up in agony
So i can say im happy and truely mean it

:)

.ghost. 15-08-2007 06:14 PM

And another one, so you don't feel so trapped by it. I hate that I can't get away from it.

TheSuffererComplex 15-08-2007 07:44 PM

To stop lying
To be able to wear my muscle shirt around without having a guilty feeling
To stand proudly that I can live with myself without more scars
That my best friend won't feel that he can't playfully rip on me without triggering me.
So that I won't be lying to my soon-to-be grlfriend every waking moment of our reltionship.
So that I can have the confidence that I can do ANYTHING.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.