RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Self-Harm Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Question for everyone: Do you feel the pain? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30572)

stacia 10-01-2008 02:03 AM

Question for everyone: Do you feel the pain?
 
Hi I'm new... I have a question for everyone... I hope I put it in the right place this forum is a little too confusing for me. :sad:

Do you feel the pain when you cut? I've just been curious about this for a while, if other people feel it when they cut. When I cut, I feel a brief moment of pain, but I feel it as though from a long distance away, as though it's not really me feeling it and it doesn't bother me. After it starts to bleed I don't feel it at all, I literally won't feel a thing after that, except the sensation of blood trickling down my leg.

It bothers me a little sometimes, I wonder if it SHOULD hurt or not, if a "normal" person would still feel the pain from an open wound like that. I starting thinking about it when I was at the emergency room, a nurse was doing something to a cut that was bleeding badly, I'm not sure what she was doing but she told me, "I'm sorry, I know this hurts like hell". I was genuinely surprised and I said, "Oh it's OK, it doesn't hurt." That woman stopped whatever it was she was doing and just looked at me, looked at me like I was either lying or crazy. It confused the heck out of me, I hadn't realized before that perhaps I was numb to it.


So anyway: Do you feel the pain when you do it?

Buttons. 10-01-2008 02:08 AM

I usually do feel the pain, but only after a few minutes, then it really hits me. I have a tendency to go into slight shock so it takes a while for the pain to get through

Margo 10-01-2008 02:10 AM

sometimes no. Not because i blank out but i guess im just so tuned into what im doing it passes me by. Most of the time yes i do. Infact i enjoy the pain. not so much the pain of the actual cutting itself but the sharp burn after. It comforts me.

Dreamer And Believer 10-01-2008 04:05 AM

I do feel it most of the time, but the level of pain varies based on how I did it.

LANA 10-01-2008 09:25 AM

i feel most of the pain but prob not untill after i've done it like 1min after...but sometimes i feel so numb like i'm somewhere else that i don't feel anything till the next day when i can't move my arm without it hurting
take care
lana
xoxo

Tig 10-01-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stacia (Post 473511)
When I cut, I feel a brief moment of pain, but I feel it as though from a long distance away, as though it's not really me feeling it and it doesn't bother me. After it starts to bleed I don't feel it at all, I literally won't feel a thing after that, except the sensation of blood trickling down my leg.

That's the same for me although after a while, I tend to feel the pain - not usually before I see someone else. I go in to a detatched sort of state I guess but if I go to Casualty it does tend to hurt and the anaethestic always does.

Take care of yourself, x

Samz 10-01-2008 11:16 AM

I have the detached thing most of the time, I can feel it but it feels like it's not really me... like it doesn't bother me. Sometimes I do feel it but it's getting less often, and once I'm out of the like, mindset of cutting I feel the pain then.

what_the? 10-01-2008 11:47 AM

It's weird, it used to hurt so much, but now, I'm kind of numb to it. It kind of hits me the next day, or a while afterwards, but sometimes, no it doesn't hurt at all.

It only makes the cutting worse, because if it doesn't hurt then there's not alot of point.

I dunno if that makes sense

Sian 10-01-2008 01:43 PM

Sometimes I feel the pain but mostly it's just as you describe. It hurts for less than a second as I'm doing it then it just kind of fades away. It's odd, it almost feels like I am seeing someone else being hurt and just feel a twinge of pain in sympathy. Later on though, once I have finished, then it hurts.

Sian
xxx

Zedebee 10-01-2008 02:39 PM

I feel a slight bit when I'm actually doing it, but not much, and then it's gone, Usually, I'll feel it the next day but a lot of the time I won't feel anything again........

Douglass 10-01-2008 03:32 PM

I feel the actual pain of cutting. but the wounds don't hurt. all I feel is adrenaline.

Kija 10-01-2008 04:23 PM

most of the time i feel detached like you do, i too have been in hospital with them saying this hurts like hell, and i dont feel it at all! i always feel it the next day, and sometimes i do feel it sooner, just depends i guess.
but do not worry you are not strange!!

ZDrache 10-01-2008 04:57 PM

Like most people here, it hurts when I'm actually cutting myself. Then I just watch the blood and I don't really feel anything...well, release, and maybe aknowledging the pain but not being concerned by it. I can't remember exactly. Haven't cut for a while.
Burning's a bit different. It's all about the pain, not the wound, so I concentrate on the pain.

Ami 10-01-2008 05:01 PM

not really. a little but not much. i dont know. im not really "there" when i do it
x

Circle Of Fire 10-01-2008 08:53 PM

when my cuts were shallower i felt a breif dull pain then nothing, now they are pretty deep so i aways feel a big searoing shock, then a sting, then a dull acch, then burning for the next few days..

divingbell 10-01-2008 09:03 PM

I found that when I went through the stage when my SI was out of controll, I seldom felt pain. When I did it once a while it hurt alot. I think this all has to do with the endorphins. When you cut on regular basis your body starts to reliece them even before you start to hurt yourself. Thus numbs the pain. When you do it very seldom it takes your body some time to figure out that you are injured and need the endorphins. This is my theory anyways.

GingerJohn 10-01-2008 09:09 PM

i feel it alittle bit but not much like if i really angry or upset i could just punch the wall and walk off then 10 minutes later i'd start feeling pain cus i was that uspet and or peed off that i just dont feel it but when i cut i feel it alittle bit more the deeper the more i feel but i still end up doing it.

TheSuffererComplex 10-01-2008 11:16 PM

Not really. I feel more of a jolt of a tingle (if that makes and sort of sence) with each one I make. after like a day, it seems to burn a little, and itch. If I scratch or rub the cuts, it hurts.

The only other time is if someone touches my shoulder where I cut (that might be a mix of the force of thier hand coming down on the cuts and how stressed and scared I feel, since they might feel something) or if I bump where I cut into a wall/person/locker/etc, or it hurts the thigh that I cut if i stick something in the pocket of the side where the cuts are and walk around for a bit, then it stings and I switch the pocket that the object is in.

Other than what is explained in the above paragraph, no, not at all.

xXFallingStarXx 10-01-2008 11:31 PM

No, I don't. I mean, It hurts for a lil moment and then, the pain just fades away. It's weird, bc if, for instance, i cut myself accidentally it hurts so much, but if i mean it i barely can feel the pain.

It's strange.

Tin-Tin 11-01-2008 12:19 AM

I do feel the pain most of the time, and that's good.
Because if I don't feel anything, I just push harder.

These replies were interesting though.

RenewedHope 11-01-2008 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXFallingStarXx (Post 475575)
No, I don't. I mean, It hurts for a lil moment and then, the pain just fades away. It's weird, bc if, for instance, i cut myself accidentally it hurts so much, but if i mean it i barely can feel the pain.

It's strange.

yeah I'm exactly the same

EyesShiningCame 11-01-2008 05:31 AM

I do at first, sharp, then it usually fades and comes back a few hours later as a dull ache if I cut a lot.

whatdoesntkill 12-01-2008 05:59 AM

I feel a little pain at first and then none and a lot of pain and that it goes back and forth for acouple of hours and then nothing.

Voldemort 12-01-2008 06:02 AM

Sometimes. Some days it will hurt like mother****inghell to make like, paper cuts. Other days I barely feel it at all and am amazed when I look and realize that, well, it ain't good.

crazykat 12-01-2008 11:30 AM

Sometimes it hurts but other times it doesn't. Also over time i think i have developed a greater pain threshold so it doesn't seem to hurt as much

Rawrk 12-01-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedmeister (Post 474140)
I feel a slight bit when I'm actually doing it, but not much, and then it's gone, Usually, I'll feel it the next day but a lot of the time I won't feel anything again........


Ditto. Part from I really most likely wont feel it again. It hardly ever kicks in the next day, unless people grab it =/

Danny R 12-01-2008 01:13 PM

Normally depends how and where i cut, And also the mood im in when i do.
If im REALLY in a bad way..No i dont, because the pain i feel from the anger and the hurt masks over it.

GhostDude306 12-01-2008 02:29 PM

i feel the pain when i cut which is part of the reason i do it because it takes over for a second, but after a second i dont feel any pain my cuts rarely hurt after i have done them

_plastic 12-01-2008 10:37 PM

Most often no, not as it should hurt !

It usually takes me time to realize the pain . Like i wake up the next morning in pain but i don't realize it at the same minute of cutting .

hmm make sense?

Take care of yourself hun x

alienshe_cheesycake 12-01-2008 10:55 PM

Am I the only one who thinks it hurts like a bitch?

hmm, at various points I've done it and it was less deep...this didn't seem to hurt too much, I could do loads and it would barely hurt when I was doing it, but afterwards it stung a bit.

But when I do deeper cuts (I do more often now) , when I'm actually in the process of cutting it *really* hurts, I hate it because I badly need to feel the aftermath of it, which really relaxes me and doesn't hurt much, somtimes I don't want to do it because I know it's gonna hurt but I need to get to sleep or calm myself down or somthing.
It's kinda such a sharp unbearable pain I can't bear it somtimes, but I badly need to do it, anybody else have the same?

blah, complicated and I'm not making much sense

angelsguidemyway 13-01-2008 05:38 PM

i dont feel any pain, just relief at the feel of the blood coming out

tamobhuuta 13-01-2008 05:42 PM

it does hurt, but how much depends less on how much or how deep buat more if i'm doing it angry or sad or whatever. if i'm feeling desperate i don't feel it, unless i do it badly and then it does hurt but it's overruled by panic

sopranonut 13-01-2008 06:22 PM

I feel it but it doesn't really feel like pain the same as an accidental injruy. I like the pain afterwards aswell, when the pain goes from one cut i start wanting to cut again.

indigo390 13-01-2008 06:41 PM

When i first started it didd hurt but i liked the pain. Now it doesnt hurt when i cut usually. It only hurts if they are too close together. But the next day it hurts to move my arm, or if people grab me. But i think you build up a tolerance to the pain.

is it sick to enjoy the pain?

Bunnie 13-01-2008 08:40 PM

I do feel the pain when I do it, but for me that is my release as I would rather feel the physical pain than the emotional pain.

findingnemo 13-01-2008 11:00 PM

sometimes it does and sometimes it doesent.

Silent Tears 13-01-2008 11:06 PM

Yes and no
After so long doing it, my body tends to block it out, but as bd as it sounds, the pain is one of the reasons i do it, to feel something, to release, to feel alive, sorry
Sometimes the pain comes after, sorry

ImperfectMe 15-01-2008 07:55 PM

When I cut, it hurts a bit, but not a lot. After about an hour, if I knock into something or move my hand it'll hurt a lot more than when I'm actually doing it.

kaffy123 17-01-2008 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stacia (Post 473511)
When I cut, I feel a brief moment of pain, but I feel it as though from a long distance away, as though it's not really me feeling it and it doesn't bother me. After it starts to bleed I don't feel it at all, I literally won't feel a thing after that, except the sensation of blood trickling down my leg.

Exactly the way I feel. You put it so beautifully into words.

Schleier von Dunst 18-01-2008 06:13 PM

to be honest, I dont know if i feel the pain. i know that I am cutting, I know that I am cutting deep. I can see the blood running down my arm, and I can see the cut, but I am not thinking about what I am doing, and its only after that I realise that I have a new cut in my arm. If someone else hits me, or when my "friend" stabs me with his pen, i feel that, but I dont think I feel it when i cut myself. you are most certainly not strange.

sweet_pain 26-01-2008 11:17 PM

For me it depends on WHY I'm cutting. If it's because I feel numb thenI do feel the pain. If it's beause I want to take the pain away from my head the I do feel the pain. If I want to bleed to make sure i'm still alaive then I don't.

Everytime it's different...

Rhapsody 27-01-2008 04:43 AM

pain and pleasure go arm in arm. i like pain. there's always pain when i cut, but it's not a pain that makes you wish it was gone.

ahhh so doesn't make sense.

Gizzy 27-01-2008 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luzin_grip (Post 509336)
i feel the pain but it doesn't hurt.... does that make sense?

I get that. I

I feel the sensation of cutting, but I don't really feel the pain...I think...

Kurea 27-01-2008 05:04 AM

I feel the pain, usually distantly, when I cut. But after a while, it stings and aches. For about two days afterwards, the cuts are tender and red. But I don't feel distinct pain when I actually make the cut.

lacs 27-01-2008 06:29 AM

I don't feel pain during the time I'm SIing, just feel either relief, satisfaction, or...nothing (in a sense, can't explain). But usually later, I have the usual annoying stuff that goes with a healing wound.

LaurenKim1 27-01-2008 08:43 AM

i don't really feel the pain until the next day and it hurts like hell and yet i still do it

one_step_closer 27-01-2008 12:34 PM

I feel the pain every time, I think it depends where your mind is at that moment.

Alyssa! 27-01-2008 12:50 PM

I used to be in the position where i didn't feel the pain. I'd completely blank out when I was cutting to the point where I didn't know what I'd just done and didn't feel any of it. Now I do feel the pain. That helps deter me now.

Porcelain Child 04-03-2008 03:39 PM

i dont really feel pain untill after i have done it

allthatjazz24 04-03-2008 10:24 PM

Sometimes I feel the pain, and it makes me angry and frustrated, so I try to endure it for as long as I can, and I try to keep cutting until I don't feel it anymore. Sometimes I don't feel it at all, and I get really relaxed like I could just fall asleep instantly. Sometimes I don't feel it and i get really upset, so I keep cutting until I do feel it. :ermm: I guess that is pretty nuts.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.